- Combined Contraceptive Pill
- Effectively prevents pregnancy
- 21 day course with 7 day break
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Logynon?
Logynon is a prescription-only combined contraceptive pill. When taken correctly, it is one of the most reliable reversible forms of contraception. It is an effective method of preventing pregnancy, it does not protect you from sexually transmitted infections (STIs); only condoms can do this.
You can buy Logynon online from Medicine Direct after a simple and confidential online consultation with one of our registered health professionals.
Please note that this is not an emergency contraception, if you have had unprotected sex in the last 24 hours and do not wish to get pregnant, Medicine Direct offer a variety of morning after pills that are available to buy online.
What is Logynon for?
Logynon is a combined oral contraceptive pill for women to take to prevent pregnancy.
It contains two different types of female sex hormones, oestrogen and progestogen. These active ingredients work in three ways to prevent pregnancy:
- Preventing an egg from being released from the ovaries
- Thickening the fluid in your cervix, making it harder for sperm to get inside the womb
- Stopping your womb lining from thickening enough for an egg to grow inside it
Why are there 21 pills in a pack?
You should take one pill every day for 21 days, with a seven day break where you do not take any pills. Each pill is marked with a specific day of the week.
Who can take Logynon?
Logynon is not suitable for all women to take.
Do not use Logynon if any of the following apply to you:
- You need an operation or are off your feet for long periods of time
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients contained in this medication
- You have (or have ever had) a blood clot in a blood vessel in your legs, lungs or other organs
- You have ever had a stroke or heart attack
- You know that you have any disorder that affects your blood clotting
- You have (or have ever had) angina pectoris
- You have ever had severe liver disease and your doctor has told you that your liver function test results have not yet returned to normal
- You have ever had liver tumours
- You have or have ever had breast cancer
- You have or have ever had a migraine with aura
Do not use Logynon if you have of the following diseases, as they may increase your risk of a clot in the arteries:
- Very high blood pressure
- High levels of fat in the blood
- Severe diabetes with blood vessel damage
Do not take this contraceptive pill without speaking to your doctor if:
- You have systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- You have sickle cell anaemia
- You have haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS)
- You have symptoms of angioedema
- You have ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease
- You have pancreatitis
- You need to have an operation or are off your feet for long periods of time
- You have diabetes
- You have varicose veins
- You have high levels of fat in the blood or a family history of this condition
- You have just given birth (this puts you at an increased risk of blood clots)
- You or anyone in your close family has ever had blood clotting issues
- You have porphyria
- You or anyone in your close family has ever had heart or circulation problems, such as high blood pressure
- You are obese
- You have migraines
- You have any illness that was made worse while you were pregnant or taking another contraceptive pill
- You have inflamed veins under the skin
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Logynon pills can cause side effects, although not everyone will suffer from them.
Common side effects include:
- Weight gain
- Sore or painful breasts
- Mood swings or depression
- Stomach ache
Uncommon side effects may include:
- A skin rash which may be itchy
- Fluid retention
- Breast enlargement
- Increased libido
- Upset stomach or vomiting
Other adverse effects may include:
- Ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease
- Bleeding and spotting between periods
This list is not exhaustive. Please refer to the Side Effects tab for more information.
Logynon Dosage and Directions
How is Logynon taken?
Always take Logynon pills as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Our pharamcist and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Logynon.
Follow the directions of the arrows on each pack.
Take one pill each day at around the same time. Swallow pills whole with a drink of water; do not crush or chew the pills.
Take one pill every day for 21 days. This will complete one pack.
After you have taken the final pill, you will have a seven-day break from the pills. During the seven-day break you will have a normal bleed.
When the seven days has passed, begin your next strip of 21 pills immediately.
What happens if I forget to take my pill?
If you forget to take one pill, take it as soon as you remember, even if it means taking more than one pill in the same day. Missing one dose should not hinder your contraceptive protection.
However, if you have missed more than one day, you may require additional contraception, such as a condom, for the next seven days.
Speak to your doctor if you are not sure.
When should I start taking Logynon?
Is Logynon available for next-day delivery?
Is it safe to buy Logynon online?
How do I buy Logynon online?
What does the price include?
What are the advantages of buying Logynon online?
Logynon Side Effects
Rare side effects of Logynon may include:
- Harmful blood clots in a vein or artery (such as in a leg, lung, a stroke, heart attack, blood clots in the liver, stomach, kidneys or eye)
- Weight loss
- Vaginal or breast discharge
- Increased libido
- Poor tolerance of contact lenses
Serious allergic reaction
Call 999 or go to A&E immediately if:
- Your face, mouth, tongue, lips or throat starts swelling
- You are finding it hard to speak or breathe
- You have tightness in your throat or chest
- You are wheezing
- You get a skin rash that may have red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
You might be having a serious allergic reaction and require immediate treatment in hospital.
Always read the patient information leaflet for full details on adverse effects. Speak to your doctor if you have any concerns.
Before taking Logynon, inform your doctor of any kind of medicine you are already taking.
The following medicines may have an impact on Logynon:
- St. John's wort
- Certain sedatives (barbiturates)
- Some medicines for epilepsy
- Some medicines for HIV and hepatitis C
- Certain antibiotics
Taking contraceptive pills like Logynon slightly raises your risk of getting breast cancer or a blood clot.
for more information on medicines that interact with Logynon.
Always read the patient information leaflet for full information on warnings and interactions. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Do not use this contraceptive pill if you are pregnant. If you think you might have become pregnant, do a pregnancy test to make sure before you stop taking Logynon.
You may be advised to not use Logynon if you are breastfeeding. An alternative form of contraception may be more suitable to take.
For more information on oral contraceptives during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
The active ingredients in Logynon are progestogen and ethinylestradiol.
The inactive ingredients are: Lactose, maize starch, povidone, magnesium stearate (E572), sucrose, polyethylene glycol 6000, calcium carbonate (E170), talc, montan glycol wax, glycerin (E422), titanium dioxide (E171), ferric oxide pigment (red and yellow) (E172).
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.