Logynon ED Contraceptive Pills
- Combined contraceptive pill
- Reliable Contraceptive
- Prevents the ovaries from releasing an egg
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Logynon ED?
Logynon ED (Every Day) is a combined oral contraceptive pill that is taken by women to stop them getting pregnant. It allows you to enjoy a regular sex life without worrying about pregnancy.
When taken correctly, it is one of the most reliable reversible contraceptives.
The benefits of taking Logynon ED include:
- It does not interrupt your sex life
- It might help with pre-menstrual symptoms
- Taking the pill normally makes your periods lighter, regular and less painful
What is Logynon ED used to treat?
Logynon ED is taken by women to prevent pregnancy.
There are 28 pills in a pack: 21 'active' pills and 7 'inactive' pills.
You need to take one 'active' Logynon pill every day for 21 days. This is followed by seven days of taking one 'inactive' pill every day.
Logynon ED is an excellent choice of contraceptive pill for women who may have trouble remembering to stop and start taking medication. This medicine does not require a 7 day break, unlike the normal version of Logynon, which is only taken for 21 days before a break.
How does Logynon ED work?
This combined oral contraceptive pill contains two types of female sex hormones, oestrogen and progestogen. These sex hormones work in three different ways to prevent pregnancy:
- They prevent your ovaries from releasing an egg.
- They make your cervix's mucus thicker, making it more difficult for sperm to get into the womb.
- They stop your womb's lining from thickening sufficiently for an egg to grow in it.
It is important to bear in mind that Logynon ED will not protect you from sexually transmitted infections (STIs) like gonorrhoea and HIV. You will still need to use a condom for this kind of protection.
How to take Logynon ED
One pack of Logynon ED will contain three strips of 28 pills.
- Take one ‘active’ pill each day for 21 days.
- After this, take one ‘inactive’ pill each day for 7 days. During this time you will have a withdrawal bleed similar to a period.
- After you have taken the inactive pills, start your next strip of active pills without a break.
Swallow the tablets whole with a drink of water. Do not crush or chew them.
You should ideally start taking Logynon ED on the first day of your period. This will mean you are protected against pregnancy immediately.
Take the tablets at the same time every day.
Your medication will come with a patient information leaflet. You should read this for full instructions on how to take Logynon ED. For more information, see the Dosage tab on this page.
Who can take Logynon ED?
Logynon ED is one of the most reliable reversible forms of contraception when taken correctly. However, it is not suitable for everyone to take.
Do not take Logynon ED if any of the following apply to you:
- You have ever had a blood clot in a blood vessel in your legs, lungs or another organ
- You need to have an operation or are off your feet for long periods of time
- You have ever had a stroke or heart attack
- You are aware that you have any disease that affects your blood clotting, such as protein C deficiency
- You have ever had angina pectoris
- You have ever had a migraine with aura
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients contained in Logynon ED
- You have ever had liver tumours
- You have ever had severe liver disease and your doctor has told you that your liver function test results have not yet returned to normal
- You have or have ever had breast cancer
Tell your doctor if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any medicine in the past, or if you are currently taking any other medication.
Always read the patient information leaflet for full details on who shouldn’t take Logynon ED.
Can you buy Logynon ED over the counter?
Logynon ED cannot be bought over the counter. You must have a prescription from a doctor to be able to purchase this medicine.
Can you buy Logynon ED online in the UK?
Logynon ED is only available on prescription. One of our registered prescribers can issue a repeat prescription for this medication, but first you must complete our confidential online consultation questionnaire.
Logynon can be bought from Medicine Direct in three or six month supplies. Order by 2pm for next day delivery.
It is important to ensure that you are buying medicine online from a UK fully regulated pharmacy. To learn more about our company, team, medical professionals, and the licenses we hold, visit our about us page.
Logynon ED Alternatives
Logynon is also available to buy without the inactive pills. While the mechanism of action is the same, when you use this version you will instead take 21 active pills and then have a break of 7 days where you do not take any. During the break, you will have a normal bleed.
Other combined hormonal contraceptive pills that are available include:
You may find that a progestogen-only pill (POP) is more suitable for you. These tablets do not contain oestrogen and include:
Alternatively, if you wish to avoid taking tablets for contraception, you could speak to your doctor about the benefits of:
- The implant
- The patch
- The injection
- An intrauterine device (IUD)
For more information on different types of contraception that may be suitable for you, we recommend visiting the Contraception Choices website.
Logynon ED Indications and dose
How is Logynon ED taken?
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Logynon ED Pills.
Always take Logynon ED exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the patient information leaflet and ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information if you are not sure.
What happens if I forget to take my pill?
If you forget to take one pill, take it as soon as you remember, even if it is almost time for your next dose. Missing one dose should not affect your contraceptive and you should still be protected against pregnancy.
If you have missed more than one dose, it is advisable to use an added form of contraception, such as a condom, for the next 7 days.
Logynon ED Side Effects
Rare side effects of Logynon ED include:
- Increased libido
- Breast or vaginal discharge
- Poor tolerance of contact lenses
- Weight loss
Serious allergic reaction
If you suffer from any of the following reactions, you might be having a serious allergic reaction to Logynon ED and require urgent treatment in hospital:
- You are finding it hard to breathe or speak
- You have swelling in your face, mouth, tongue, throat or lips
- You have tightness in your chest
- You are wheezing
- You develop a skin rash that may have red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
You must either call 999 or go to A&E straight away if you have any of the symptoms listed above.
This list may not be exhaustive. Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive details on adverse reactions. If you are worried about adverse effects, please speak to your doctor or pharmacist before you start using Logynon ED.
Logynon Warnings and Drug Interactions
How can Logynon affect other medicines?
Lognyon ED can interact with other medicines, which may hinder its effectiveness. Before you start using Logynon ED, inform your doctor if you are taking any prescription or non-prescription medication, herbal remedies, vitamins or supplements.
The following medicines may influence the blood levels of Logynon ED:
- Certain sedatives (barbiturates)
- Certain antibiotics
- Certain medicines to treat epilepsy
- Certain medicines to treat HIV and Hepatitis C infections
- The herbal remedy St. John's wort
- The antifungal medicine griseofulvin
Women who use Logynon ED are at a slightly increased risk of cervical cancer, breast cancer and blood clots. If you have any symptoms that suggest you have either of these conditions, speak to your doctor immediately. Certain factors can increase your risk of blood clots in an artery, such as high blood pressure, smoking, being overweight and having diabetes.
Please refer to the patient information leaflet for full details on warnings and drug interactions. If you have any questions or concerns at all, please do not hesitate to speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
For more information on medicines that interact with Logynon ED contraceptive pills.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Logynon ED must not be taken by women who are pregnant. If you think you might be pregnant, take a pregnancy test to make certain before you stop taking the pill. If you have become pregnant, stop taking Logynon and speak to your doctor.
You may be advised to use an alternative form of contraception if you are breastfeeding. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist about this. For more information on oral contraceptives during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Logynon ED Ingredients
The main active ingredients within this medicine are: Ethinylestradiol and Levonorgestrel
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.