Fluconazole Tablets (150mg)
- Effective for both penile and vaginal thrush
- 1 Tablet to be used as a single dose
- Relieves the symptoms of thrush quickly
Please note brand received may vary
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Fluconazole?
Fluconazole is an antifungal medicine that has been used to treat fungal infections since 1988. It is currently listed on the World Health Organisation's List of Essential Medicine.
Fluconazole is a treatment for penile and vaginal thrush.
The capsule is taken orally to relieve symptoms quickly and effectively.
Fluconazole 150mg thrush capsules are an antifungal medication which should normally be taken once a day in a single dose to relieve the symptoms of thrush.
This medicine works to provide relief from the soreness, itching and discharge that often comes with cases of both vaginal and penile thrush.
It is suitable for adults and adolescents who are over 16 years old and under 60 years old.
How does Fluconazole work?
Fluconazole treats thrush by killing the fungus (yeast) that causes the infection. It does this by making holes in the fungus’s cell membrane, which makes the contents leak out. This works to cure the infection by restoring the natural balance of bacteria and relieve symptoms such as itching and soreness.
Fluconazole 150mg thrush capsules will begin to work immediately; most people start to notice a significant improvement after just a few days, with most symptoms clearing completely within one week.
You can also use clotrimazole cream alongside Fluconazole capsules for extra relief from the external symptoms of thrush.
What are the symptoms of thrush?
Thrush symptoms can be different in men and women.
Thrush symptoms in women include:
- Soreness and stinging when you urinate
- Soreness and stinging during sex
- White vaginal discharge (similar to cottage cheese) which has no odour
Thrush symptoms in men include:
- An unpleasant smell
- Difficulty in pulling back the foreskin
- White discharge (like cottage cheese)
- Burning, redness and irritation under the foreskin and around the head of the penis
How to take Fluconazole
Always take Fluconazole as instructed by your doctor. Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly before you start taking it. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for further guidance if you are not sure how to take it.
Fluconazole is a single dose treatment which you should take daily.
Take 1 capsule each day. It does not matter what time you take the capsule, but ideally you should try to take it around the same time every day. This will help you to remember to take it.
The capsule can be taken with or without food. Swallow the capsule whole with a drink of water; do not crush or chew the capsule.
Who can take Fluconazole?
Fluconazole 150mg thrush capsules may not be suitable for everyone to take.
This product must not be used by anyone under 16 or over 60 years old.
You should make sure that you speak to your doctor if any of the below apply to you:
- You have heart disease
- You have had an allergic reaction to Fluconazole or any other medicine in the past
- You have (or have ever had) any liver or kidney problems
- You are prone to irritation of the skin
- You have the blood disorder acute porphyria
- You have abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or magnesium in your blood
Please read the patient information leaflet for full details on why this treatment may not be suitable for you to take. If you are not sure whether Fluconazole capsules are safe for you to take, please speak to your doctor.
Can I take this product while I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
This medicine is not normally prescribed for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, however if the condition is severe and has not responded to other medicines, fluconazole may be prescribed. Some studies have shown that Fluconazole thrush capsules can cause muscoloskeletal malformations when used in the first trimester.
You should speak to your doctor before taking Fluconazole if:
- You are currently pregnant
- You are currently breastfeeding
- You think you might be pregnant
- You are trying to get pregnant
It is likely that your doctor will instead prescribe clotrimazole or a similar antifungal medicine.
For more information on taking Fluconazle during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Can you buy Fluconazole over the counter?
You cannot buy Fluconazole over the counter. It must be prescribed by a doctor.
Can you buy Fluconazole online in the UK?
Fluconazole 150mg thrush capsules are only available on prescription. You can buy Fluconazole 150mg thrush capsules from Medicine Direct after a simple and confidential online consultation with one of our registered doctors.
From there, you can order Fluconazole thrush capsules from our registered online pharmacy. Place your order by 2pm and you will also benefit from our next day delivery service.
Never buy any medicine online unless it is from a pharmacy that is regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council, like Medicine Direct.
Medicine Direct sells several topical alternatives to Fluconazole if this medicine is unsuitable for you to take.
Clotrimazole cream is available to purchase from our online pharmacy after completing an online questionnaire. This medicine also works to relieve the symptoms of thrush by killing the fungi that causes the infection. It should be applied to the affected area 2-3 times a day and normally relieves the problem after around one week.
Canesten is the branded version of this cream and is also available to buy from Medicine Direct. Alternatively, women suffering from thrush could buy the Canesten Thrush Combi treatment. This medicine comes with Canesten Cream to relieve the external irritation caused by thrush and also a pessary to treat the internal infection.
Fluconazole Dosage and Directions
How do you take Fluconazole?
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Fluconazole.
What if I miss a dose?
If you forget to take a capsule, just take it as soon as you remember, as long as it is not almost time for your next capsule. This treatment can be taken at any time during the day.
Do not take an extra dose to try and make up for missing a previous one.
What if I take more than I am supposed to?
An extra dose is unlikely to do you any harm. Speak to your doctor or call 111 if you have taken an extra dose of Fluconazole and become worried.
How to store this product
Store this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not store in conditions above 25C and do not use after the expiry date, which can be found on the packet.
Fluconazole side effects
Like all medicines, Fluconazole capsules can cause side effects, although not everyone who takes them will suffer from them.
Common side effects of this medicine can include:
- Stomach pain
- Feeling sick or being sick
Please speak to your doctor if any of these reactions bother you or do not go away.
Please note, this list is not exhaustive. For information on rarer and more serious reactions associated with this product, please refer to the Side Effects tab on this page.
Serious Side Effects
A list of the common side effects can be found on the main product page.
Serious side effects of Fluconazole capsules are rare and will occur in less than 1 in every 100 people who take it. Nonetheless, you should seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following:
- You have yellowing of the skin or the whites of your eyes turn yellow, or you have dark urine or pale bowel movements (these may be signs of a liver problem)
- You have an irregular or faster heartbeat
- You bruise more easily or are more prone to infections (these may be signs of a blood disorder)
Severe allergic reactions
In very rare cases, it is possible to suffer a severe allergic reaction to Fluconazole.
You should either call 999 or go to A&E straight away if you get any of the following symptoms:
- You get tightness in your throat or chest
- You are finding it difficult to breathe or speak
- You get a skin rash that may include red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- You have swelling in your mouth, face, lips, tongue or throat
- You are wheezing
You may be having a severe allergic reaction and require immediate treatment in hospital.
Please note, these lists may not be exhaustive. Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive information on side effects and how to cope with them.
If you are worried about side effects while using this treatment, we strongly advise you to speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
What precautions to take when using Fluconazole
Fluconazole can interact with other medicines. Before you start taking Fluconazole thrush capsules, please ensure you inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are currently taking (or have recently taken) any other form of medication. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medication, herbal remedies, vitamins or supplements.
In particular, inform them if you are already taking any of the following medicines:
- The antibiotic erythromycin
- Pimozide or quetiapine (for mental illnesses like schizophrenia)
- Cisapride (for stomach problems)
- The allergy medicines terfenadine or astemizole
- Quinidine (for heart disease)
- Any statins medicines
- Losartan (for heart failure and high blood pressure)
- Ergotamine (for migraines and headaches)
- Carbamazepine (for nerve pain and epilepsy)
- The anticoagulant warfarin
- Reboxetine (for depression)
This product should not be used by anyone who is under 16 or over 60 years old.
Do not take more than 1 capsule in a 24 hour period.
Always read the patient information leaflet thoroughly for comprehensive details on warnings and drug interactions. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to speak to your pharmacist or doctor.
The main active ingredient within this medicine is: Fluconazole
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.