Valtrex 500mg Tablets
- Branded version of Valaciclovir
- Used to treat Herpes Simplex Virus (cold sores)
- Reduces appearance and symptoms quickly
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Valtrex?
Valtrex is the branded version of Valaciclovir, it is a prescription-only medication that belongs to a group of drugs known as antivirals. It can be used to treat the herpes simplex virus (cold sores), as well as genital herpes. It can also be taken to stop these infections from coming back.
The generic (unbranded) version of Valtrex is Valaciclovir which is also available from Medicine Direct.
It can also be used to provide treatment for shingles in adults.
How can I buy Valtrex online safely?
You must have a prescription to order Valtrex 500mg tablets. You can buy Valtrex online safely through Medicine Direct. To obtain a prescription from a fully qualified prescriber, all you need to do is complete a short and confidential online consultation on our website. A registered doctor or pharmacist will review your answers and give you a prescription to order this treatment if they find it to be suitable for you to use.
From there, you can place your order with our UK-based online pharmacy. Next day delivery is available if your order is placed before 2pm.
What is Valtrex used to treat?
Valtrex 500mg tablets are prescribed to provide effective treatment for the herpes simplex virus (HSV). This virus is responsible for causing outbreaks of the likes of cold sores and genital herpes. It can be used by adults and children over the age of 12 to treat these conditions and prevent them from reoccurring.
To treat genital herpes and other skin infections caused by the herpes virus, you will normally be instructed to use this medication for five days.
Valtrex 500mg tablets can also be prescribed as a form of treatment for shingles in adults.
What are the additional benefits of Valtrex?
Valtrex 500mg tablets contain the active ingredient valaciclovir. Once you take the tablets, this ingredient is broken down into acyclovir, which is activated once it enters the infected cells and blocks the DNA polymerase enzyme within the virus. This stops the virus from being able to multiply and spread, which then allows your immune system to effectively fight off the infection on its own.
Valtrex can be used to provide effective treatment for genital herpes caused by the herpes simplex virus, as well as cold sores. If you suffer from these conditions regularly, you may be prescribed Valtrex tablets to take on a regular basis; this will help to prevent future flare-ups. This can also reduce your risk of passing on the virus sexually.
It is important to remember that taking Valtrex 500mg tablets will not completely remove the risk of passing on genital herpes or other forms of the herpes simplex virus sexually. It should not be used as a form of contraception. When you use Valtrex, you should still practice safe sex; if you have visible sores, you are advised to avoid having sex altogether.
Some non-prescription alternatives for treating a genital herpes outbreak
You can ease your genital herpes symptoms by doing some of the following:
- Use Vaseline on the blisters to relieve discomfort and aid in the healing process
- Take pain relief tablets like Naproxen
- Keep the affected area clean using either water or salt water
- Avoid any known triggers of the problem, such as alcohol
- Do not wear tight clothing
Who can use Valtrex?
Valtrex 500mg is not suitable for everyone to take.
This medicine must not be taken by children who are under the age of 12.
Do not take Valtrex 500mg if any of the following apply to you:
- You are allergic to valaciclovir or aciclovir tablets or any of the other ingredients contained in these tablets (please refer to the Ingredients tab for a full list of substances)
- You have ever had an extended rash after taking valaciclovir that was associated with fever, enlarged lymph nodes, increased levels of liver enzymes and/or eosinophilia
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before you start taking this medicine if:
- You are over the age of 65
- You have any liver problems
- You have any kidney problems
- You have a weak immune system
If you are not sure if you have any of the problems listed above, talk to your doctor or pharmacist about it.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Valtrex 500mg comes with the risk of side effects, although not everyone will get them.
Common side effects associated with this treatment include:
- Feeling sick/nausea
- Being sick
- Photosensitivity (skin reaction when exposed to sunlight)
- Pruritus (itching)
Uncommon reactions may include:
- Feeling drowsy
- Feelings of confusion or agitation
These reactions affect the nervous system and are most likely to affect people who have kidney problems, the elderly or organ transplant patients who are taking Valtrex in high doses. Most people find that their reactions ease when they stop using the treatment or have their dose reduced.
Other uncommon adverse effects include:
- Feeling short of breath
- Lower back pain (kidney pain)
- Blood in your urine
- Urticaria (a rash that may be itchy)
- Stomach discomfort
The following reactions may appear in blood tests:
- A reduced number of white blood cells
- A reduced number of blood platelets
- An increase in substances your liver produces
Please note, this information is not exhaustive. Please refer to the Side Effects tab for more information.
Where can I buy Valtrex online?
Never order any medical treatment online unless it is from a UK-registered pharmacy, like Medicine Direct. We are fully registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC), which means that we can guarantee all the medicine we sell from our website is approved, genuine and safe for you to take.
All of our doctors, pharmacists and prescribers are also fully certified and possess experience in working at NHS hospitals or other professional clinic settings. They are registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC), the General Medical Council (GMC) and the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). This means that they can legally prescribe you an appropriate herpes treatment just like your local GP.
We will despatch your order from our UK based pharmacy in discreet packaging. Furthermore, if you place your order with our pharmacy by 2pm, we are also able to offer you next day delivery on your medication.
Valtrex 500mg Dosage and Directions
How do I use Valtrex?
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Valtrex.
Always take Valtrex 500mg tablets exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the patient information leaflet, which will come with your medicine, and ask your doctor or pharmacist for further guidance if you are still not sure.
Your dosage will depend on what you are using this treatment for.
Swallow Valtrex tablets whole with a drink of water. Do not crush or chew them.
Take Valtrex at the same time every day.
While using this medicine, it is very important that you drink plenty of water throughout the day. This will help to lessen the risk of adverse effects that can affect your nervous system and your kidneys. Doing this is particularly important if you have any kidney problems or are over the age of 65.
For treating HSV infections of the skin and genital herpes:
- The normal dose is 500mg twice a day.
- For the first infection, take Valtrex for five days (your doctor may instruct you to take it for up to 10 days). For a recurrent infection, the normal length of treatment is between 3 and 5 days.
For treating cold sores:
- The usual dose is 2000 mg (four 500 mg tablets) twice a day.
- You should take the second dose 12 hours after the first. Leave at least a six-hour gap.
- To treat cold sores, you should only take Valtrex for one day.
To prevent the herpes virus from coming back again:
- The usual dose is one 500mg tablet once a day.
- Keep taking Valtrex until your doctor instructs you to stop.
For treating shingles:
- The usual dose is 1000mg (two 500 mg tablets) three times a day.
- For this condition, take Valtrex for seven days.
If you take more than you were supposed to
An extra dose of Valtrex is unlikely to cause you any harm, unless you take too many tablets over the course of a few days.
If you do take too much of this medicine, speak to your doctor as soon as possible. You may experience:
- Feel less aware
- Kidney problems
- Nausea and/or vomiting
If you forget to take Valtrex 500mg
If you forget to take a dose of Valtrex, just take it as soon as you remember, unless it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. If it is nearly time for your next dose, just skip the missed dose and continue to take it as normal.
Never take a double dose to try and make up for missing a previous one.
Should I avoid anything while using Valtrex?
Will any other drugs affect Valtrex?
Valtrex Side Effects
Rare side effects associated with Valtrex 500mg may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people and include:
- Altered brain function
- Convulsions (fits)
- A lack of coordination, unsteady when walking
- Speech becomes slow and slurred
- Kidney problems (urinating very little or not urinating at all)
Serious allergic reaction
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, it may be a sign that you are suffering from a serious allergic reaction.
Either go to A&E or call 999 straight away if you have any of the below symptoms; you may require immediate treatment in hospital:
- Your mouth, face, tongue, lips or throat starts swelling
- You have tightness in your throat or chest
- You are finding it difficult to breathe or speak
- You are wheezing
- You get a skin rash that may include red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- There is a fall in your blood pressure, which causes you to collapse
Always refer to the patient information leaflet for full details on side effects. If you have any concerns about side effects or how to deal with them, please do not hesitate to talk to your doctor or pharmacist about your concerns, before you start to take this treatment.
What precautions should I take when using Valtrex?
Before you start using Valtrex 500mg tablets, please ensure you inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are already taking any prescription or non-prescription medicines, herbal remedies, vitamins or supplements.
In particular, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are already taking any of the medicines that affect your kidneys (listed below):
- Organoplatinum compounds
- Iodinated contrast media
If you are using Valtrex for the treatment of shingles or after having an organ transplant, it is very important that you inform your doctor or pharmacist about any other medicines you are already taking.
Valtrex 500mg can cause adverse effects that may impair your ability to drive. If you start to feel dizzy, drowsy, delirious or have hallucinations, you must not drive, operate machinery or ride a bike until you feel better. If these reactions persist, please talk to your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible.
Do not have sexual intercourse if you are suffering from genital sores or blisters. If you are using Voltrex as a treatment or prevention medication for genital herpes, or if you have suffered from genital herpes in the past, you should still use a condom while having sex. This will stop you from passing on the herpes virus to your partner.
Always read the patient information leaflet, which will accompany this herpes treatment, for a full list of details on warnings and drug interactions. If you have any concerns, please discuss them with your doctor or pharmacist before you start your course of treatment.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Women who are pregnant will not usually be prescribed Valtrex tablets. Please ensure you inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are currently pregnant, trying to get pregnant or think you might be pregnant. If you become pregnant while using this treatment, you should also tell your doctor or pharmacist.
You should also inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are currently breastfeeding.
Valtrex 500mg contains the active ingredient valaciclovir.
The following inactive substances are also contained in these tablets: Microcrystalline cellulose, crospovidone, povidone, magnesium stearate and silica colloidal anhydrous.
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to any of the ingredients listed here.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.