Betnovate Scalp Application
- Reduces inflammation and itching of the scalp
- Contains betamethasone valerate
- Highly effective for Dematitis, Proriasis and Eczema
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Betnovate Scalp Application?
Betnovate Scalp Application belongs to a group of medicines called topical corticosteroids also known as topical steroids. It is a treatment for skin conditions like atopic eczema and seborrhoeic dermatitis which is a skin condition that mainly affects the scalp.
It should be used twice a day on the affected areas to soothe symptoms like redness and irritation.
This treatment is only available on prescription.
What is Betnovate Scalp Application used to treat?
Betnovate is a treatment for itchy and uncomfortable scalp conditions, such as atopic eczema and seborrhoeic dermatitis.
This is a strong steroid medication, meaning that it is used in the short-term to effectively and quickly relieve the redness, itching and irritation associated with scalp conditions.
It is a highly effective treatment for eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis. Providing fast-acting relief, you are able to carry on with your life as usual, free from discomfort and irritation.
How does Betnovate Scalp Application work?
Betnovate contains the active ingredient betamethasone valerate, which is a corticosteroid medicine.
Betnovate Scalp Application is absorbed through the skin and works to block the inflammatory chemicals that cause eczema symptoms from being released. You may be given a prescription to use this medicine after trying weaker treatments that have not improved your symptoms; betamethasone valerate is a potent corticosteroid, meaning it is a strong medicine.
How to apply Betnovate Scalp Application
Always use Betnovate Scalp Application exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly and ask your doctor or pharmacist for guidance if you are unsure of anything.
Do not exceed the amount your prescription states.
Normally, you will be instructed to apply the liquid to the scalp twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. This dose may be reduced as your condition improves.
This product must not be applied for prolonged periods of time, unless your doctor instructs you to do so.
- Wash your hands.
- Unscrew the bottle's cap and place the nozzle on the treatment area.
- Squeeze the bottle gently to cover the affected area with a thin and even layer of liquid.
- If you wish, you can rub the liquid in. Alternatively, just let it absorb on its own.
- Your scalp will feel cool until the liquid has dried.
- Wash your hands again after you have applied the liquid.
What if I forget to use it?
If you miss an application, just apply it as soon as you remember.
If it is almost time for your next scheduled application, just skip the dose you missed and continue using the product as usual.
What if I apply too much?
Using too much or swallowing this medicine may make you ill. Call 111, go to A&E or speak to your doctor if you apply too much and feel unwell.
What if I stop using it?
Do not stop using Betnovate Scalp Application without speaking to your doctor first.
If you suddenly stop your course of treatment, this may make your condition worse.
Who can use Betnovate Scalp Application?
Do not use Betnovate if:
- You are allergic to betamethasone valerate or any of the other ingredients in this product (please see the Ingredients tab for full details)
- You have a skin infection on the scalp
Betnovate must not be used on children under 1 year old.
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if:
- You are applying it to a large surface area
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You have psoriasis (your doctor will need to see you frequently)
- You have ever had an allergic reaction to a steroid medicine
- You need to apply the liquid to the folds of the skin or broken skin
- You are applying the liquid under an airtight dressing
- You are applying the liquid to children or thin skin (children's skin is thinner, so may absorb larger amounts)
Speak to your doctor if you are not sure whether or not Betnovate is suitable for you.
This list is not exhaustive. Please refer to the patient information leaflet for a full list of precautions.
Can you buy Betnovate Scalp Application over the counter?
No, Betnovate Scalp Application is not available to buy over the counter. You will need to be prescribed this medicine by your doctor.
Can you buy Betnovate Scalp Application online in the UK?
This is a prescription-only medicine (POM), but you can buy Betnovate from Medicine Direct after completing a simple online consultation with one of our registered doctors. This is to make sure that this medication is suitable for you.
Next day delivery is available if you order by 2pm.
Medicine Direct is a fully regulated UK pharmacy. For your own safety, you should not order any type of medicine online from anywhere other than pharmacies that are regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC).
While skin problems like eczema and dermatitis can be hard to keep under control, a wide range of medicines are available to treat them.
At Medicine Direct, we also stock Betacap Scalp Application, which also contains betamethasone valerate.
Other scalp treatments include Elocon Scalp Lotion which is also used to treat a dry, itchy and inflamed scalp caused by eczema and dermatitis.
Topical corticosteroid treatments are available if you are suffering from skin inflammation or irritation on other parts of the body. These creams and ointments work by relieving inflammation and soothing the skin. After completing an online consultation, you can order the likes of Fucibet and Clobetasone from our pharmacy.
Non-prescription medicines like Balneum Cream can also be purchased.
Dosage and Directions
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Betnovate Scalp application.
How long does Betnovate Scalp Application take to work?
Can I use Betnovate Scalp Application to treat dandruff?
Does Betnovate cause hair loss?
Can Betnovate Scalp Application treat fungal infections?
Can I use Betnovate Scalp Application on my face?
Can Betnovate be used on children and babies?
Can you use Betnovate to treat burns?
Can Betnovate Scalp Application cause hair to grow?
Can you use Betnovate to treat acne?
Can I drink alcohol while I’m using it?
Possible side effects
Like all medications, Betnovate comes with the risk of certain side effects, although not everyone gets them.
Common side effects include:
- A burning, itching, painful or irritating sensation to the area the liquid is applied
Some people may also suffer blurred vision.
Stop using Betnovate immediately and seek medical attention if:
- Your skin condition gets worse, you get a skin rash or your skin becomes swollen
- You have psoriasis and get raised, pus-filled bumps under the skin
Rare side effects include:
- Weight gain, rounding in the face
- Allergic skin reaction
- Delayed weight gain or slowing growth in children
- Increased risk of infection
- Rash, redness or itchy, bumpy skin
- Thinning or dryness of the skin
- Stretch marks
- High blood pressure
- Increased blood sugar levels or sugar in urine
- Bones becoming thinner, weaker or break easier
- More noticeable veins under the skin's surface
- Cloudy lens or glaucoma
- Changes in skin colour
- Increase or reduction in hair growth/hair loss
Serious allergic reaction
Call 999 or go to A&E immediately if:
- You get a skin rash that may have red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- You are wheezing
- You have tightness in your chest or throat
- You are finding it difficult to speak or breathe
- You have swelling in your face, mouth, throat, lips or tongue
You may be having a serious allergic reaction and require treatment in hospital.
Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive details on side effects.
Warnings and drug interactions
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are using any other prescription or non-prescription medicines, herbal remedies, vitamins or supplements as some medicines interact with Betnovate scalp application.
Particularly, tell them if you are taking any ritonavir and itraconazole medications.
The liquid is highly flammable. Keep it away from fires, naked flames and ignition sources. Do not smoke during the application or immediately afterwards.
Do not use this medicine on children for longer than 5 days.
Do not use dressings or bandages on children on areas the liquid is applied.
Speak to your doctor if you suffer an visual disturbances, such as blurred vision.
Avoid contact with the eyes. Do not touch your eyes after using this treatment until you have re-washed your hands.
Wash your hands before and after, or wear plastic gloves if you are applying Betnovate to someone else's skin.
Effects on the hair
Only apply Betnovate to dry hair.
Do not dry your hair with a hairdryer while using this medicine.
If you have washed or shampooed your hair, make sure it is completely dry before applying Betnovate.
Do not wash the liquid off, let it soak into the scalp.
A possible side effect is excessive hair growth.
You can still dye your hair while using Betnovate, but harsh chemicals may make your condition worse.
Read the patient information leaflet for full details on warnings and interactions. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to speak to your doctor.
Betnovate Scalp Application Ingredients
The main active ingredient within this medicine is: Betamethasone valerate
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
Updated on: 04/08/2021
This content has been written by our Superintendent Pharmacist Hussain Abdeh and has been medically reviewed by our Pharmacist Sonia Khan
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.