Betnovate Scalp Application
- Reduces inflammation and itching of the scalp
- Contains betamethasone valerate
- Highly effective for Dematitis, Proriasis and Eczema
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
347 customer reviews
What is Betnovate Scalp Application?
Betnovate Scalp Application belongs to a group of medicines called steroids. It is a treatment for skin conditions like atopic eczema and seborrheic dermatitis.
This treatment is only available on prescription.
How do I buy Betnovate Scalp Application online?
You can buy Betnovate from Medicine Direct after completing a simple online consultation with one of our registered doctors. After reviewing your symptoms and medical history, an online doctor will issue you a private prescription for this medicine if they deem it the most suitable treatment for your problem.
You can then use this prescription to order your medication from our registered online pharmacy.
What is Betnovate Scalp Application used to treat?
Betnovate is a prescription-only treatment for itchy and uncomfortable scalp conditions, such as atopic eczema and seborrheic dermatitis. It contains the active ingredient betamethasone valerate, which is a corticosteroid medicine.
Betnovate Scalp Application is absorbed through the skin and works to block the inflammatory chemicals that cause eczema symptoms from being released. You may be given a prescription to use this medicine after trying weaker treatments that have not improved your symptoms; betamethasone valerate is a potent corticosteroid, meaning it is a strong medicine.
What are the benefits of Betnovate Scalp Application?
This medication is a strong steroid medication, meaning that it is used in the sort-term to effectively and quickly relieve the redness, itching and irritation associated with scalp conditions.
It is a highly effective treatment for eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis. Providing fast-acting relief, you are able to carry on with your life as usual, without feeling self conscious or uncomfortable about your problem.
What are the other alternatives?
Alternatives to this medicine include Elocon lotion and Dovobet gel.
Dovobet gel is a topical medication for body and scalp psoriasis. Betnovate is able to treat the likes of itchy scalp that comes from a range of conditions, not just psoriasis.
Elocon lotion is also a topical corticosteroid that can relieve the symptoms that come with skin conditions. In some cases, it causes the hair follicles to become inflamed, so a scalp-specific treatment like Betnovate is more suitable for application to the scalp.
Who can use Betnovate Scalp Application?
Do not use Betnovate if:
- You are allergic to betamethasone valerate or any of the other ingredients in this product (please see the Ingredients tab for full details)
- You have a skin infection on the scalp
Betnovate must not be used on children under 1 year old.
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if:
- You are applying it to a large surface area
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You have psoriasis (your doctor will need to see you frequently)
- You have ever had an allergic reaction to a steroid medicine
- You need to apply the liquid to the folds of the skin or broken skin
- You are applying the liquid under an airtight dressing
- You are applying the liquid to children or thin skin (children's skin is thinner, so may absorb larger amounts)
Speak to your doctor if you are not sure whether or not Betnovate is suitable for you.
Dosage and Directions
Always use Betnovate Scalp Application exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly and ask your doctor or pharmacist for guidance if you are unsure of anything.
Do not exceed the amount your prescription states.
Normally, you will be instructed to apply the liquid to the scalp twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. This dose may be reduced as your condition improves.
This product must not be applied for prolonged periods of time, unless your doctor instructs you to do so.
How to apply Betnovate Scalp Application
- Wash your hands.
- Unscrew the bottle's cap and place the nozzle on the treatment area.
- Squeeze the bottle gently to cover the affected area with a thin and even layer of liquid.
- If you wish, you can rub the liquid in. Alternatively, just let it absorb on its own.
- Your scalp will feel cool until the liquid has dried.
- Wash your hands again after you have applied the liquid.
What if I forget to use it?
If you miss an application, just apply it as soon as you remember.
If it is almost time for your next scheduled application, just skip the dose you missed and continue using the product as usual.
What if I apply too much?
Using too much or swallowing this medicine may make you ill. Call 111, go to A&E or speak to your doctor if you apply too much and feel unwell.
What if I stop using it?
Do not stop using Betnovate Scalp Application without speaking to your doctor first.
If you suddenly stop your course of treatment, this may make your condition worse.
Does Betnovate scalp application cause or help hair loss?
How long does Betnovate scalp application take to work?
Where to buy Betnovate scalp application
Will Betnovate scalp application help with dandruff?
Can you use Betnovate scalp application when pregnant or breastfeeding?
Possible side effects
Like all medications, Betnovate comes with the risk of certain side effects, although not everyone gets them.
Common side effects include:
- A burning, itching, painful or irritating sensation to the area the liquid is applied
Some people may also suffer blurred vision.
Stop using Betnovate immediately and seek medical attention if:
- Your skin condition gets worse, you get a skin rash or your skin becomes swollen
- You have psoriasis and get raised, pus-filled bumps under the skin
Rare side effects include:
- Weight gain, rounding in the face
- Allergic skin reaction
- Delayed weight gain or slowing growth in children
- Increased risk of infection
- Rash, redness or itchy, bumpy skin
- Thinning or dryness of the skin
- Stretch marks
- High blood pressure
- Increased blood sugar levels or sugar in urine
- Bones becoming thinner, weaker or break easier
- More noticeable veins under the skin's surface
- Cloudy lens or glaucoma
- Changes in skin colour
- Increase or reduction in hair growth/hair loss
Serious allergic reaction
Call 999 or go to A&E immediately if:
- You get a skin rash that may have red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- You are wheezing
- You have tightness in your chest or throat
- You are finding it difficult to speak or breathe
- You have swelling in your face, mouth, throat, lips or tongue
You may be having a serious allergic reaction and require treatment in hospital.
Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive details on side effects.
Warnings and drug interactions
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are using any other prescription or non-prescription medicines, herbal remedies, vitamins or supplements.
Particularly, tell them if you are taking any ritonavir and itraconazole medications.
The liquid is highly flammable. Keep it away from fires, naked flames and ignition sources. Do not smoke during the application or immediately afterwards.
Do not use this medicine on children for longer than 5 days.
Do not use dressings or bandages on children on areas the liquid is applied.
Speak to your doctor if you suffer an visual disturbances, such as blurred vision.
Avoid contact with the eyes. Do not touch your eyes after using this treatment until you have re-washed your hands.
Wash your hands before and after, or wear plastic gloves if you are applying Betnovate to someone else's skin.
Effects on the hair
Only apply Betnovate to dry hair.
Do not dry your hair with a hairdryer while using this medicine.
If you have washed or shampooed your hair, make sure it is completely dry before applying Betnovate.
Do not wash the liquid off, let it soak into the scalp.
A possible side effect is excessive hair growth.
You can still dye your hair while using Betnovate, but harsh chemicals may make your condition worse.
Read the patient information leaflet for full details on warnings and interactions. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to speak to your doctor.
This medicine contains the active ingredient betamethasone valerate.
Inactive ingredients are: carbomer, isopropyl alcohol, sodium hydroxide and purified water.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.