Dymista Nasal Spray
- Each bottle contains 120 sprays
- Relieves allergy symptoms
- Contains antihistamine and corticosteroid combination
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Dymista?
Dymista is a nasal spray that is used to relieve the symptoms of both seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis.
It provides effective relief from allergy symptoms, including:
- Red, watery or itchy eyes
- Blocked or runny nose
Adults and children over the age of 12 can use this medicine for allergy issues.
Dymista is a steroid nasal spray that will also relieve inflammation in the nasal passage.
This medicine is only available on prescription.
What is a Dymista Nasal Spray used to treat?
A Dymista nasal spray is an effective treatment for the symptoms of allergic rhinitis, also known as hay fever.
Seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis are allergic reactions to pollen (hay fever), mould, dust or pets. This nasal spray is able to relieve symptoms such as a blocked or runny nose, watery, itchy or red eyes and sneezing.
Dymista nasal sprays have been widely used to help relieve the symptoms of allergic rhinitis. However, different people will respond to medication differently. If you find that using Dymista has not been effective for you, you may wish to speak to your doctor about trying an alternative nasal spray or medication.
How does Dymista work?
Dymista contains two active substances, one of which is an antihistamine medicine called azelastine hydrochloride. This works by preventing the effects of histamine, which is a chemical that your body produces as a result of an allergic reaction. This lessens the symptoms of hay fever.
Dymista also contains a corticosteroid medicine called fluticasone propionate; this works to reduce inflammation in the nasal passage, helping you to breathe.
Due to it's dual action formula and combination of Azelastine Hydrochloride and Fluticasone Propionate, Dymista has been proven to relieve symptoms more effectively than other treatments that contain just one of the active ingredients alone.
How to use Dymista
Follow your doctor’s dosage instructions when using this nasal spray.
Do not give this nasal spray to children under the age of 12.
- Shake the bottle gently for 5 seconds then remove the protective cap.
- Blow your nose before using the spray, to clear your nostrils.
- Keep your head tilted downwards, do not tilt it backwards.
- Hold the bottle upright and carefully insert the tip into one nostril.
- Close the other nostril with your finger and press down on the pump while sniffing gently at the same time. This will administer one spray into your nostril.
- Breathe out through your mouth.
- Repeat the same process with your other nostril.
- After using the nasal spray, breathe in gently and do not tilt your head back. If you tilt your head back, the medicine may travel to your throat and cause an unpleasant taste.
- Wipe the spray tip clean after each time you use it.
Who can use Dymista?
Dymista nasal spray provides effective relief from the symptoms of hay fever and other allergic conditions. However, it is not suitable for everyone to use.
Do not use Dymista nasal spray if you are allergic to azelastine hydrochloride, fluticasone propionate or any of the other ingredients contained in this medicine (please see the Ingredients tab for full details).
This medication should not be used by children under 12 years of age.
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using Dymista if:
- You have tuberculosis or any untreated infections
- You have recently had an operation on your nose
- You have an infection in your nose
- You have a change in vision or a history of ocular pressure, glaucoma and/or cataracts
- You have an impaired adrenal function
- You have a severe liver disease
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
If any of the above apply to you, your doctor will decide whether or not Dymista is a suitable medication for you to take. Read the patient information leaflet for a full list of reasons why Dymista may not be safe for you.
Can you buy Dymista over the counter?
Dymista cannot be bought over the counter. You must have a prescription to purchase this medicine.
Can you buy Dymista online in the UK?
Dymista is a prescription-only medicine (POM). To buy Dymista online from Medicine Direct, you will first need to complete a confidential online questionnaire for one of our registered doctors or pharmacists to review. After they have ensured that this medicine is suitable for you, your order will be confirmed.
As long as you order by 2pm, we can offer you next day delivery on your medication.
Medicine Direct is regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC), which means we can guarantee genuine and safe medication for our customers. All of our medical team possess experience of working in NHS hospitals or other clinical settings. All are registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council, General Medical Council and the MHRA, meaning they are legally qualified to prescribe medication just like your local GP.
Many different types of medicine are available to treat the symptoms of hay fever. At Medicine Direct, we stock several nasal sprays for hay fever, such as Flixonase, which contains the corticosteroid medicine fluticasone propionate. This medicine also works to relieve inflammation. Another steroid nasal spray available from our pharmacy is Rhinocort Aqua, which contains budesonide.
Aside from nasal sprays, various tablet medicines can be ordered from our pharmacy after an online consultation. Antihistamine medicines like Loratadine, Cetirizine and Levocetirizine work to block histamine from creating allergy symptoms. These antihistamines, as well as several others, are available from Medicine Direct.
View our Hay Fever condition page to see the full range of treatments we stock.
There are also non-medical tactics you can use to avoid the symptoms of hay fever, including:
- Keeping windows closed at home on days with high pollen counts
- Wearing wrap-around sunglasses to avoid allergens and pollen from irritating the eyes
- Showering when you come home to wash out any pollen grains you may have collected while outside
- Avoid going outside on days with high pollen counts, where possible
Directions of use for Dymista Nasal Spray
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Dymista nasal spray.
Always use Dymista nasal spray as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly and speak to your doctor or pharmacist for further guidance if you are still not sure.
Adults and children over the age of 12 should have one spray into each nostril in the morning and evening.
What if I forget to use it?
If you miss a dose of Dymista, just take the next dose at your usual time.
Do not take a double dose to try and make up for missing an earlier one.
What if I take too much?
An extra dose of Dymista is unlikely to do you any harm. However, speak to your doctor if you become worried or if you have taken more than one extra dose.
Will Dymista work straight away?
Can Dymista cause sleepiness?
Can I drink alcohol while using Dymista?
Does Dymista cause weight gain?
What should I do if I get an unpleasant taste in my mouth?
How long can you use Dymista?
Is it safe to use Dymista in the long term?
Is Dymista a steroid?
Can I use Dymista if I am pregnant?
Is it unsafe to swallow the liquid from Dymista?
Like all medication, Dymista nasal sprays come with the risk of certain side effects, although they will not affect everyone who uses them.
Common side effects of this nasal spray include:
- Unpleasant smell
- A bitter taste in your mouth, particularly if you have tilted your head back after using the spray. This should go away after having a soft drink.
Less common reactions may also include:
- Irritation on the inside of your nose
- Cough, dry throat or throat irritation, or nasal dryness
- Dry mouth
Speak to your doctor if any of these reactions bother you or do not go away.
Please note, these lists are not exhaustive. For information on rarer and more serious reactions, please refer to the Side Effects tab on this page.
Serious side Effects
In very rare cases, you may suffer from one of the following adverse effects while using Dymista nasal sprays:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Cataract or glaucoma
- Increased pressure in the eye which may lead to loss of vision or red/painful eyes
- Damage of the skin and mucous membrane in the nose
- Feeling sick, weary, weak or exhaustion
- Rash, raised itchy bumps
Some people may also have blurred vision or sores in their nose.
Severe allergic reaction
In rare cases, it is possible to suffer a serious allergic reaction to Dymista Nasal Spray.
You must call 999 or go to A&E straight away if you have any of the following symptoms:
- You are finding it difficult to breathe or speak
- You are wheezing
- You have tightness in your chest or throat
- You have swelling in your face, mouth, throat, lips or tongue
- You have a skin rash that may have red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
You may require immediate treatment in hospital.
Please note, this may not be exhaustive. Always read the patient information leaflet thoroughly for comprehensive details on side effects. If you are worried about getting side effects from nasal sprays, please do not hesitate to speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Warnings and drug interactions
Before using Dymista Nasal Spray, make sure your doctor is aware if you are taking any other medication, whether it is for hay fever or another condition altogether. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medication, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements.
Some medicines might increase the effects of Dymista, so your doctor might want to monitor you more closely than usual if you are taking any of these medicines. These include some medicines for HIV: ritonavir, cobicistat and medicines to treat fungal infections, such as ketoconazole.
Dymista can have a mild effect on your ability to drive and operate machinery. In rare instances, you may suffer from dizziness or drowsiness while using Dymista; if either of these do affect you, you should not drive, cycle or operate machinery until you feel better again. If these symptoms persist, please speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Dymista Nasal Spray contains benzalkonium chloride, which may cause irritation or the mucous membrane and bronchospasm. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist if the spray causes you discomfort.
Always read the patient information leaflet for full details on warnings and drug interactions as some medicines can interact with the ingredient Azelastine and some medicines can interact with the ingredient Fluticasone. If you have any questions or concerns at all, we strongly advise you to discuss these with your doctor or pharmacist.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Please speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using this medicine if:
- You are currently pregnant
- You think you might be pregnant
- You are trying to get pregnant
- You are currently breastfeeding
We recommend BUMPS for additional information.
The main active ingredients within this medicine are: Fluticasone propionate and Azelastine hydrochloride
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.