Cetirizine Oral Solution 5mg/5ml Hayfever & Allergy- 200ml
- Oral form of Cetirizine Hydrochloride
- Relieves symptoms of hay fever and allergies
- Non-drowsy and fast acting
Please note brand received may vary
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Cetirizine Hydrochloride Oral Solution?
It is available in different forms and can be used to treat:
- Hay Fever (nasal sprays or tablets)
- Urticaria (hives)
- Food Allergies
- Insect bites and stings
- Eczema (as a cream)
Cetirizine provides effective relief from the symptoms of hay fever (seasonal rhinitis). This product can also work to treat symptoms brought on by other allergies, such as animal fur or dust mites.
You can buy Cetirizine oral solution from pharmacies without a prescription, and it can be used by adults and children.
What is Cetirizine Oral Solution used to treat?
Cetirizine is a medicine that acts quickly to relieve allergy symptoms associated with hay fever and other allergic conditions.
It is suitable for most adults and children who are aged 12 and above.
As a hay fever relief medicine, it is suitable for adults and children over 2 years of age and can relieve symptoms such as:
- Itchy, red or watery eyes
- Runny, blocked or irritated nose
For the relief of other allergic conditions, this product can be taken by adults and children aged 6 years and over and can relieve the following:
- Allergies to pets or household mites
- Skin allergies, such as itching, a rash or hives
- A runny or itchy nose
Why is Cetirizine recommended for hay fever?
Certirizine is a commonly prescribed antihistamine due to it's non-drowsy properties when compared to other treatment options.
Studies have shown Cetirizine to be a fast-acting medicine that provides long-lasting relief from the symptoms of hay fever and other allergies.
How does Cetirizine Hydrochloride Oral Solution work?
This product contains the active ingredient cetirizine hydrochloride, which works by blocking a chemical in your body called histamine. Histamine is produced when you come into contact with something that triggers your allergies, such as animal fur or pollen. In most instances, this chemical is useful to the body, but during an allergic reaction it causes symptoms like sneezing, watery eyes and a runny or blocked nose.
Cetirizine hydrochloride counteracts the effects of histamine, thus lessening your symptoms and allowing you to get on with your daily life.
Who can take Cetirizine hydrochloride solution?
Cetirizine 5mg/5ml Oral Solution may not be suitable for everyone to use.
Do not use Cetirizine Oral Solution if any of the below apply to you:
- You are allergic to cetirizine hydrochloride, hydroxyzine or any of the other ingredients contained in this medicine (please refer to the Ingredients tab for full details)
- You are breastfeeding
- You have kidney failure
Do not take this medication without speaking to a doctor or pharmacist if:
- You are pregnant
- You have any kidney problems (your doctor may adjust your dose)
- You are due to have an allergy test (this product may affect the results)
- Your symptoms are persisting
- You have any problems urinating
- You have a hereditary intolerance to some sugars
- You suffer from epilepsy or are at risk of convulsions
As a hay fever treatment, this medicine should not be given to children under 2 years of age. For other allergic conditions, it is not suitable for children under 6 years old.
Always read the patient information leaflet for full details on the suitability of Cetirizine 5mg/5ml Oral Solution for both adults and children.
Can you buy Cetirizine oral solution over the counter?
Cetirizine oral solution is available from pharmacies and supermarkets without needing a prescription. You can also buy Cetirizine tablets over the counter.
Can you buy Cetirizine oral solution online in the UK?
You can buy Cetirizine oral solution online from Medicine Direct without needing a prescription. All you need to do is fill out our confidential online consultation form for one of our registered prescribers to make sure it is suitable for you to take. If you order by 2pm, we can also offer you next day delivery on your medication.
Medicine Direct is fully regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council, meaning we can guarantee that all medicine sold on our site is approved and safe. You should not order medicine online unless it is from a regulated UK pharmacy.
Hay fever is a difficult condition to deal with, and sadly there is no cure for this problem. Fortunately, there are many medicines available to control and prevent the symptoms.
Cetirizine Hydrocholoride 10mg tablets are also available to buy online from Medicine Direct. We also sell other antihistamine tablets that work in the same way as Cetirizine.
Other non-drowsy antihistamines that are available include Loratadine tablets and fexofenadine.
A variety of corticosteroid nasal sprays are available to order, too. Corticosteroids work to relieve the inflammation in the nasal passages that is brought on by hay fever, helping you to breathe properly again. The likes of Rhinocort, Flixonase or Nasonex can be ordered after completing an online consultation.
Certirizine Oral Solution 5mg/5ml Dosage and Directions
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Cetirizine oral solution.
The usual dose for Cetirizine Oral Solution is:
- Adults, the elderly and children aged 12 years and above: Two 5ml spoonfuls once a day (to a maximum of 10mg daily).
- Children aged 6 to 11 years: Either two 5ml spoonfuls once a day, or one 5ml spoonful twice daily (to a maximum of 10mg daily)
- Children aged 2 to 5 years of age: Either one 5ml spoonful once a day, or one 2.5ml spoonful twice daily (to a maximum of 5mg daily)
How to take Cetirizine Oral Solution
Children between the ages of 2 and 5 years old should take either one 5ml spoonful once a day or one 2.5ml spoonful twice a day.
Children between the ages of 6 and 11 years old should take either two 5ml spoonfuls once a day or one 5ml spoonful twice a day.
Children over the age of 12 and adults should take two 5ml spoonfuls once a day.
Do not exceed the recommended dose.
Always read the patient information leaflet, which will come with the medicine, for complete instructions. Follow your doctor or pharmacist’s guidance.
Cetirizine Oral Solution side effects
Common side effects can affect up to 1 in 10 people who use this product and include:
- Diarrhoea, dry mouth, nausea
- Pharyngitis, rhinitis (in children)
Less common side effects include:
- Feeling agitated
- Abdominal pain
- Extreme fatigue or malaise
Speak to your doctor if any of the above reactions bother you or do not go away.
Serious Side Effects
Rare side effects of Cetirizine 5mg/5ml Oral Solution include:
- Abnormal liver function
- Allergic reaction, which may be severe in some cases (see below for more information)
- Feeling depressed, aggressive or confused
- Insomnia and/or hallucinations
- Fast heartbeat
- Weight gain
Very rare side effects may include:
- Bed wetting, pain when urinating or difficulty urinating
- Blurred vision, difficulty focusing, uncontrolled circular movements of the eyes
- Syncope, involuntary movements, change in taste, tremor, abnormal and prolonged muscle contractions
- Low levels of blood platelets
- Serious allergic reaction (see below for full details)
Seek medical attention as soon as possible if you suffer any of the adverse effects listed above.
Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive details on side effects.
Warnings and drug interactions
Before taking a new medicine, it is important that you inform your pharmacist or doctor if you are currently taking, or have recently taken, any other form of medication. This includes prescription and non-prescription medicine, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements as some medicines can interact with Cetirizine oral solution.
In particular, tell your pharmacist or doctor if you are currently taking:
- Theophylline, used for heart conditions and breathing disorders, including bronchitis and asthma
- Central nervous system depressants, such as barbiturates
Cetirizine 5mg/5ml Oral Solution 200ml contains the following ingredients:
- Sorbitol (E420): if your doctor has told you that you are intolerant to certain sugars, you should speak to them before taking this medicine.
- Methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E218) and propyl parahydroxybenzoate (E216): these ingredients can cause allergic reactions.
- Propylene glycol: this ingredient can sometimes cause alcohol-like symptoms
Do not give Cetirizine to children who are under the age of 2 to treat hay fever symptoms.
Do not give it to children under the age of 6 years old to treat any other allergies.
Driving and operating machinery
Some people who use this medicine experience side effects like dizziness, sleepiness, blurred vision, confusion and other reactions that can impair judgement and vision.
If you experience any of these side effects while taking Cetirizine Oral Solution, you should not drive, ride a bike or operate any form of machinery until you feel better. If your symptoms persist, seek medical attention.
Always read the patient information leaflet for full details on warnings and drug interactions.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Speak to your doctor before you use Cetirizine if you are currently pregnant, think you might be pregnant or are trying to get pregnant.
Similarly, please speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if you are currently breastfeeding. This is especially important if your baby has any health problems, was born premature or with a low birth weight.
We recommend BUMPs for additional information.
Cetirizine Oral Solution Ingredients
The main active ingredient within this medicine is: Cetirizine hydrochloride.
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics.
How long does Cetirizine oral solution take to work?Your symptoms should start to be alleviated within one hour of taking it.
Can I drink alcohol while taking Cetirizine?Cetirizine is a non-drowsy antihistamine, but it may still cause drowsiness. Therefore, it is best to avoid alcohol while taking it as it could make you even sleepier.
How long should I take Cetirizine Oral Solution for?Your doctor will advise you on how long you should take this medicine. If your symptoms do not improve or get worse after a few days, tell your doctor.
How long do the effects of Cetirizine Oral Solution last?One dose will last for up to 24 hours, meaning you can go through an entire day without symptoms.
Can I take painkillers with Cetirizine?You can take Cetirizine with painkillers like ibuprofen and paracetamol.
Can I take other hay fever treatments at the same time as Cetirizine?Yes, you can use a nasal spray or eye drops while taking Cetirizine. However, you should only take a second antihistamine if your doctor advises it.
Can children take Cetirizine?Children over the age of 2 years old can take Cetirizine Oral Solution to treat hay fever, although the dose will be lower.
Can you take two antihistamines at the same time?This is sometimes recommended by a doctor if you have a severe itchy skin rash. However, you should not take more than one antihistamine unless your doctor advises it.
Is Cetirizine an anti-inflammatory?Cetirizine is an antihistamine medicine, although research has shown that Cetirizine does have anti-inflammatory effects.
Will Cetirizine affect my contraception?No, Cetirizine has no effect on any form of contraception.
Updated on: 09/06/2021
This content has been written by our Superintendent Pharmacist Hussain Abdeh and has been medically reviewed by our Pharmacist Sonia Khan
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.