- Reduces acid produced by the stomach
- Helps with symptoms of acid reflux, heartburn and indigestion
- Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPIs)
Please note brand received may vary
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
Buy Esomeprazole Gastro Resistant Tablets for Acid Reflux
Esomeprazole 20mg and 40mg tablets can effectively relieve the painful symptoms associated with acid reflux. For most people, acid reflux can be treated by making simple changes to diet and lifestyle, for others; acid reflux can be a chronic condition that requires acid reflux medicine such as Esomeprazole to help relieve symptoms.
You can buy Esomeprazole tablets for effective acid reflux treatment online from Medicine Direct following a consultation with one of our UK prescribers.
What is Esomeprazole?
Esomeprazole belongs to a group of medicines known as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). It works to reduce the amount of acid in the stomach. Esomeprazole is taken to relieve the symptoms of acid reflux, as well as several other conditions caused by excessive stomach acid.
It is available in doses of 20mg and 40mg. You can buy Esomeprazole in low doses from pharmacies. Higher doses are also available on prescription.
It is often sold under the brand name Nexium.
What is Esomeprazole used to treat?
Esomeprazole is used in the treatment of acid reflux (heartburn). Acid reflux occurs when stomach acid travels into your gullet, which can cause pain, inflammation and discomfort.
It is also prescribed for people who are suffering from gastroesophageal reflux disease (GORD), stomach ulcers and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
Esomeprazole can be taken by adults and children aged 12 and over.
How does Esomeprazole work?
Proton pumps are very small substances within your stomach lining. They help your stomach to make the acid it requires to digest food.
Acid reflux is caused by excessive stomach acid, which travels into the gullet. Esomeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI), which works by stopping the proton pumps from being able to work properly. As a result, the amount of acid your stomach makes is reduced, which works to relieve acid reflux.
How many tablets you will need to take depends on why you are taking Esomeprazole.
To treat heartburn caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GORD) in cases where your gullet has not been damaged, the dose is one 20mg tablet each day. The dose may be lower if you have liver problems.
How to take Esomeprazole
Always follow your doctor or pharmacist’s instructions when taking Esomeprazole.
- Esomeprazole can be taken with or without food.
- You can take Esomeprazole at any time of day.
- Swallow the tablets whole with a drink of water. Do not crush or chew them.
Always read the patient information leaflet before you start taking a new medicine for full instructions on doses and how to take Esomeprazole.
Who can take Esomeprazole?
Esomeprazole is not suitable for everyone. Children under the age of 12 must not take this medicine.
Do not take Esomeprazole if any of the below apply to you:
- You are allergic to esomeprazole or any of the ingredients contained in these tablets
- You are taking any medication that contains nelfinavir
- You are allergic to any other proton pump inhibitor medicines, such as lansoprazole, omeprazole or pantoprazole
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before you start taking Esomeprazole if:
- You have severe kidney problems
- You have severe liver problems
- You have ever had a skin reaction after taking any other medicine that reduces stomach acid
- You are due to have a Chromogranin A blood test
- You have osteoporosis or you are taking any corticosteroids
This list is not exhaustive. Always refer to the patient inflammation leaflet for a full list of reasons why you should not take Esomeprazole. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Can you buy Esomeprazole over the counter?
You can buy Esomeprazole 20mg (the lowest strength) over the counter from pharmacies. Higher doses are available on prescription from your doctor.
Can you buy Esomeprazole online in the UK?
Yes, you can buy Esomeprazole online from Medicine Direct. All you need to do is answer a few questions in a confidential online consultation. These answers will be reviewed by one of our certified doctors, pharmacists or prescribers, to make sure that Esomeprazole is suitable for you to take.
Next day delivery is available if you place your order by 2pm.
Never buy any form of medication online unless you are ordering from a regulated pharmacy, like Medicine Direct. We are regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC), meaning we can assure all our customers that their medicine will be genuine, safe and approved for sale in the UK. You can find out more about our regulatory standards on the About Us page.
There are a number of proton pump inhibitor (PPI) medications available. At Medicine Direct, we also stock Lansoprazole gastro resistant capsules, Pantoprazole and Omeprazole capsules that can be purchased online following a consultation with one of our UK prescribers..
If you find it difficult to swallow whole capsules or tablets, Lansoprazole is also available as orodispersible tablets, which will dissolve in the mouth without needing to be swallowed whole.
We also sell Losec MUPS, which is a branded medication containing omeprazole as its active ingredient.
View our entire range of medicines on the Acid Reflux product page.
Acid reflux is a condition that is predominantly caused by diet and lifestyle. The first line treatment for acid reflux is tweaking and removing things from your diet that may trigger your acid reflux symptoms. Smoking and drinking can also hugely increase the risk of suffering from acid reflux.
If you have noticed that your acid reflux symptoms tend to appear after eating certain foods, we recommend trying to identify which foods may be triggering your symptoms.
Alternatively, we have a helpful guide on which foods can help and trigger acid reflux symptoms in our acid reflux diet medical guide.
Esomeprazole Indications and Dose
Always take Esomeprazole exactly as your doctor has told you. Read the patient information leaflet before you start to take it and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
You can take Esomeprazole tablets at any time of day, with or without a meal.
Swallow the tablets whole with a glass of water. Do not crush or chew Esomeprazole tablets.
The dose will be determined by your doctor depending on why you need to take Esomeprazole.
- To treat cases of acid reflux and GORD where the gullet is undamaged, the normal recommended dose is one 20mg tablet each day. Your doctor may tell you to take Esomeprazole as and when you require it as your condition eases. Do not take more than one 20mg tablet each day.
- To treat cases of acid reflux and GORD where the gullet has been damaged, the usual dose is one 40mg tablet each day for 4 weeks. This dose will be reduced to 20mg daily once the gullet has healed.
- Your doctor might prescribe a lower dose if you have severe liver problems.
If you forget to take Esomeprazole
If you miss a dose of Esomeprazole, take it as soon as you remember as long as it is not nearly time for your next dose.
If it is almost time to take the next dose, skip the missed dose and take Esomeprazole at your usual time. Never take an extra dose to make up for missing a previous one.
If you take too much
Contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately if you have taken more than the prescribed dose of Esomeprazole.
How to store Esomeprazole
Store these tablets out of the sight and reach of children.
Store below 30 degrees C.
Do not take the tablets if they have passed the expiry date stated on the packaging. The expiry date is the final day of the stated month.
Like all medicines, Esomeprazole can cause side effects, although not everyone will be affected by them.
The common side effects of Esomeprazole may occur in up to 1 in 10 people who take it. Talk to your doctor if any of the following bother you or do not go away:
- Stomach pain
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Benign stomach polyps
Serious side effects
The following side effects are rare and may only affect up to 1 in every 1,000 people who take Esomeprazole. Nonetheless, you must seek medical attention straight away if you notice any of the following:
- Skin redness with blisters or peeling. You may have blisters in your eyes, lips, mouth, genitals or nose
- Yellow skin, tiredness or dark urine (these may be signs of a liver problem)
- Severe allergic reaction symptoms: Breathing or swallowing difficulties, wheezing, swelling of the lips, face, throat, tongue or mouth, fainting or a skin rash
These lists are not exhaustive. Always read the patient information leaflet for a full list of side effects. Here, you will also find guidance on what to do if you get any. Speak to your doctor if you have any questions.
Before you start to take Esomeprazole, read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive details on warnings and precautions. If you have any questions after reading this, please speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Esomeprazole and other medicines
Before you start to take Esomeprazole, always tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are already using any other medication. This includes any medicine you can buy without a prescription.
Esomeprazole must not be taken if you are already taking any medicine that contains nelfinavir, which is used to treat HIV.
Make sure your doctor or pharmacist is aware if you are taking:
- Ketoconazole, itraconazole or voriconazole
- Atazanavir or saquinavir
- Citalopram, clomipramine or imipramine
- Blood thinners such as warfarin
- St John’s wort
Esomeprazole is not suitable for children under 12 years old.
These tablets contain sucrose. Talk to your doctor before taking Esomeprazole if they have told you that you are intolerant to certain sugars.
Tell your doctor straight away if you get a skin rash while taking Esomeprazole, particularly in sun-exposed areas of the body.
While taking Esomeprazole, it may hide symptoms of other illnesses. Seek medical attention immediately if you notice any of the below:
- You vomit food or blood
- You pass stools that are black
- You have problems swallowing and lose a lot of weight unexpectedly
- You suffer indigestion or stomach pain
Do not take Esomeprazole for longer than your doctor tells you to. Taking this medicine for longer than one year might slightly increase the risk of bone fractures.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Speak to your doctor before taking Esomeprazole if you are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or think you might be pregnant.
Esomeprazole is not suitable for breastfeeding women as it is unknown if this medicine passes into the breast milk.
The main active ingredient within this medicine is: Esomeprazole
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.