Imigran Nasal Spray
- Contains 2 sprays per pack
- Treats the symptoms of a Migraine
- Also available as Imigran Tablets
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Imigran nasal spray 10mg/20mg?
Imigran is a nasal spray that is used to treat the symptoms of a migraine attack. Each spray contains a dose of the medicine sumatriptan; this medicine is renowned for effectively treating migraines.
Sumatriptan belongs to a group of medicines known as triptans (also referred to as 5-HT1 receptor agonists).
Imigran is also available as Imigran 50mg – 100mg tablets for migraines. This nasal spray is a useful alternative for people who find it difficult to swallow tablets.
What is Imigran nasal spray used to treat?
Imigran nasal spray is a treatment for the symptoms of a migraine headache.
Migraine symptoms include:
- Feeling sick
- Being sensitive to light and sound
Migraines can be triggered by various things, such as alcohol, stress, poor diet, caffeine or not getting enough sleep. They can also occur for no reason at all.
Migraines are very common, but they can be very debilitating and prevent you from completing even the simplest tasks effectively. To get the most out of an Imigran nasal spray, you should use it as early as possible into your migraine attack. However, you can use it later on during a migraine and it will still be effective.
The nasal spray will normally work within 15 minutes of using it. If your headache goes away but then returns, you can take another dose after 2 hours.
How does Imigran work?
Migraines are believed to be caused by the temporary widening of the blood vessels inside your head. This nasal spray is thought to work by reducing the widening of the blood vessels, relieving the pressure in your head and relieving the symptoms of a migraine attack.
Imigran contains sumatriptan as its active ingredient, which works by stimulating certain receptors in the brain. Doing this makes the blood vessels narrow to their normal size, which relieves pressure in your head and makes the throbbing pain go away.
How to use Imigran nasal spray
- Get into a comfortable position (you may wish to use this nasal spray while sitting down).
- If you have a cold or a blocked nose, blow your nose
- Gently hold the nasal spray with your fingers and thumb.
- Use a finger to firmly block one nostril.
- Carefully insert the nozzle of the nasal spray into the other nostril and breathe out gently through your mouth.
- Hold your head upright and keep your mouth closed.
- Breathe in gently through your nose. As you breathe in, press down on the plunger; this will release one spray. Keep breathing in while it sprays.
- Remove the nozzle from your nose and keep your head upright for about 20 seconds.
- Your Imigran nasal spray is now empty; dispose of it as advised by your doctor or pharmacist.
Who can take Imigran nasal spray?
Imigran is an effective treatment for the symptoms of migraines, but it is not suitable for everyone.
Do not use Imigran nasal spray if:
- You are allergic to sumatriptan or any of the other ingredients contained in this medicine (please refer to the Ingredients tab for a full list)
- You have circulation problems in your legs that cause cramp-like pains when you walk
- You have any heart problems, such as recently having a heart attack, angina or narrowing of the arteries
- You have had a stroke or a mini-stroke
- You have high blood pressure (if you have mild blood pressure or it is being treated, you may be able to take Imigran)
- You have serious liver disease
- You are taking any other migraine medicines
Speak to your doctor before using Imigran if:
- You are a heavy smoker or using nicotine replacement therapy
- You are a man over the age of 40
- You are a woman who has been through menopause
- You have a history of seizures (fits)
- You have liver or kidney disease
- You are allergic to antibiotics called sulphonamides
- You are taking any antidepressants called Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)
- You feel any chest tightness or pain after using Imigran
Can you buy Imigran nasal spray over the counter?
You will need to speak to your doctor before you can buy Imigran nasal spray.
Can you buy Imigran nasal spray online in the UK?
To buy Imigran nasal spray online from Medicine Direct, you will first need to fill out an online consultation form for a prescriber to review. Once they have approved that this product is safe for you to use, it can be ordered from our online pharmacy.
If you order by 2pm, we can offer you next day delivery on your medicine.
Medicine Direct is fully regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council. You should never order any type of medicine online unless it is from a regulated pharmacy.
Imigran nasal spray alternatives
Many different migraine treatments can be ordered online from Medicine Direct if Imigran nasal spray is not suitable for you.
Imigran comes in several tablet versions, which can also work to relieve migraines. Medicine Direct also stocks generic Sumatriptan tablets, which you can buy after filling out an online consultation questionnaire for one of our doctors or pharmacists to review.
Alternative triptans like Zolmitriptan and Almotriptan are also prescription medicines that can be ordered from our pharmacy.
In addition to these, we sell non-prescription migraine medicines including Anadin Extra and Migraleve Pink tablets.
Imigran Nasal Spray Dosage and Directions
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Imigran Nasal Spray.
Always use Imigran nasal spray exactly as instructed by your doctor. Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure how to use it.
For adults aged 18 to 65, the usual dose is one Imigran 20mg spray into just one nostril, although only 10mg is enough for some people. Do not use more than 2 sprays in 24 hours.
For adolescents aged 12 to 17, the usual dose is one Imigran 10mg spray into one nostril.
Imigran nasal spray is not recommended for children under the age of 12 or adults over the age of 65.
How do I take Imigran nasal spray?
How many pack of Imigran Nasal Spray can I buy in one purchase?
Is Imigran Nasal Spray avaliable for next-day delivery?
Is it safe to purchase Imigran Nasal Spray online?
How do I buy Imigran Nasal Spray online?
What does the price include?
What are the advantages of buying Imigran Nasal Spray online?
Does Imigran Nasal Spray help to prevent migraines?
Will Imigran Nasal Spray definitely cure my migraines?
What other steps can I take to help my migraines?
I normally get Imigran Nasal Spray from my doctor - why should I get it online?
Imigran Nasal Spray side effects
Like all medicines, Imigran nasal spray comes with the risk of side effects, although these won't affect everyone who uses it.
Common side effects include:
- An unpleasant taste
- Heaviness, tightness, pressure or pain in the chest, throat or other parts of the body, or feeling numb, tingly or warm or cold. These may feel intense but normally ease quickly.
Seek medical attention if you suffer from any of the above. In rare cases, this could be a symptom of a heart attack.
Other common side effects include:
- Burning or irritation in the nose or throat
- Muscle aches
- Shortness of breath
- Temporary high blood pressure
- Feeling sick or being sick
Please note, this list is not exhaustive. Please refer to the Side Effects tab for more information. Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive details on side effects.
Serious Side Effects
Rare side effects can include:
- Changes in liver function
- Heart problems
- Seizures, tremors, neck stiffness, muscle spasm
- Difficulty swallowing
- Joint pain
- Feeling anxious
- Pain worsening at the site of any existing injury or inflammation
- Pain in the lower left side of the body and bloody diarrhoea
- Feeling faint
- Visual problems, such as blurred vision, reduced vision or loss of vision
- Pale blue-tinged skin and/or pain in the joints, fingers, toes, ears, nose or jaw as a response to stress or cold
You should talk to your doctor if you suffer from any of the above.
Serious allergic reaction
In very rare cases, you may suffer a serious allergic reaction to this nasal spray.
You must either call 999 or go to A&E immediately if:
- You are wheezing
- You have tightness in your chest or throat
- You have swelling in your face, mouth, tongue, lips or throat
- You are finding it difficult to breathe or speak
- You develop a skin rash that may have red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
You could be having a serious allergic reaction and require treatment in hospital.
Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive information on side effects. If you have any concerns, please speak to your doctor.
Imigran Nasal Spray Warnings and drug interactions
Before you start taking a new medicine, tell your doctor if you are already taking any other medication. This includes prescription and non-prescription medicine, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements as some medicines may interact with Imigran Nasal Spray.
In particular, tell them if you are taking:
- Any other migraine medicines
- Any antidepressants called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), or you have taken any in the past two weeks
- Any other triptans/5-HT1 receptor agonists
- Any Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) or Serotonin Noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs)
- The herbal remedy St. John's wort
Always read the patient information leaflet for full details on warnings and drug interactions. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to speak to your doctor.
Can Imigran be taken in pregnancy and while breast feeding?
You should speak to your doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant, trying to get pregnant, think you might be pregnant or are breastfeeding. They will decide whether or not you should use this Imigran nasal spray.
If you are breastfeeding, do not breastfeed your baby for 12 hours after using Imigran. If you have expressed any milk during those 12 hours, do not give it to your baby.
For more information on taking imigran nasal spray during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
The active ingredient in this medicine is sumatriptan.
It also contains the following ingredients: potassium dihydrogen phosphate, dibasic sodium phosphate anhydrous, sulphuric acid, sodium hydroxide and purified water.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.