Imodium Syrup SF
- Diarrhoea relief
- Treats Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Very fast acting
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Imodium?
The syrup version of this medicine is only available on prescription.
Imodium is renowned for being able to provide fast-acting relief from diarrhoea symptoms, getting to work very quickly and giving long-lasting results.
What is Imodium used to treat?
Imodium (Loperamide) is primarily taken for diarrhoea relief, but it can also be used to treat short-term diarrhoea or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Additionally, you can use this product to aid in longer-term issues, such as bowel conditions like Crohn's disease.
If taken in the morning, this medicine should provide all-day relief from your symptoms. The effects of Imodium Syrup SF last for between 8 and 12 hours.
How does Imodium work?
Imodium contains loperamide hydrochloride as the active ingredient. Loperamide is an anti-motility medicine that works by slowing down food as it passes through the gut.
By slowing down how quickly the food moves through the digestive system, your body can take on more water from the intestines. This makes your stools firmer and reduces how often you need to go to the toilet.
How to use Imodium
Imodium comes in various forms, including many different varieties of tablets and capsules. Always read the patient information leaflet, which will come with your medicine, before you start to take it. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
To take the syrup correctly, the starting dose is between four and eight 5ml doses each day. Take four 5ml spoonfuls as an initial dose. After this, take two 5ml spoonfuls after each attack of diarrhoea.
Do not take more than the recommended dose.
Who can use Imodium?
This medicine is not suitable for you if:
- You are constipated or your stomach looks swollen
- You have severe diarrhoea after taking antibiotics
- An inflammatory bowel condition flares up (such as ulcerative colitis)
Please contact your doctor before you take Imodium if:
- You are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or are breastfeeding
- You have had an allergic reaction to loperamide or any other medicines in the past
- You have had diarrhoea for more than 48 hours
- You have AIDS and your stomach becomes swollen
- You have blood in your stools and a temperature of more than 38C
- You have liver problems
- You aren't able to digest some sugars
If you suffer from diarrhoea with IBS, please speak to your doctor before taking this product if:
- You are aged 40 or over and it has been a while since your last IBS attack, or if your symptoms are different this time
- You have nausea/vomiting
- You have lost weight or lost your appetite
- You have bad constipation
- You have recently had bloody stools
- You have a fever
- You have recently travelled abroad (you may have contracted a stomach bug)
- You have trouble urinating or find it painful
This information may not be exhaustive. Always read the patient leaflet for full details on why Imodium may be unsuitable for you.
Can you buy Imodium over the counter?
Imodium tablets and capsules are available over the counter. The syrup must be prescribed by a doctor and cannot be bought in pharmacies or supermarkets.
Can you buy Imodium online in the UK?
You can buy Imodium online from Medicine Direct, but first you will need to fill out an online questionnaire to make sure it is suitable for you to take. Your answers will be reviewed by a prescriber before your order is approved.
If you place your order by 2pm, we can also offer you next day delivery on your medication.
Medicine Direct is fully regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council, which means that we can guarantee all of the medication sold from our online pharmacy is genuine and approved for sale in the UK. Never buy any medicine online unless it is from a regulated pharmacy.
There are many medicines available which can effectively treat the symptoms of diarrhoea.
Imodium is the branded and syrup version of Loperamide Hydrochloride tablets.
Imodium tablets and capsules come in many different forms. These tablets can be bought over the counter from your local pharmacy or supermarket.
Another treatment for diarrhoea is Norimode. While you will need a prescription to buy these tablets, Norimode can provide fast acting relief from diarrhoea. Norimode also contains loperamide hydrochloride, so works in the same way as Imodium Syrup SF.
For an over the counter treatment that can be used by adults and children alike, Dioralyte may be the answer. Dioralyte comes as a powder that should be mixed with water to make a blackcurrant-flavoured drink. This medicine works to prevent you from becoming dehydrated when suffering with diarrhoea.
All of these medicines, among others, can be ordered from Medicine Direct after you have completed an online questionnaire.
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Imodium Syrup.
Always read the dosage information provided with your medicine products.
The dosage quantity you need take will vary from person to person, depending on the severity of your condition.
The usual starting dose should be between four and eight 5ml doses per day in divided doses. Take 4 spoonfuls (5ml) straight away. 2 spoonfuls should then be taken after each attach of diarrhoea.
If you are taking the capsules, Imodium should be taken by consuming two capsules immediately. After then, one capsule or tablet should be taken after each runny bowel movement. Do not exceed the number of capsules recommended by your doctor.
Imodium Syrup FAQ's
How much does Imodium cost?
Do I need a prescription for Imodium products?
Can my child take Imodium products?
Will Imodium cause constipation?
Can I use Imodium if I suffer from IBS?
Will an oral rehydration solution treat my diarrhoea?
Imodium Side Effects
In rare cases, you may experience serious side effects with Imodium.
Please contact your doctor immediately if you experience any of the below:
- Feeling faint, less alert or passing out
- Are moving in a clumsy way
If you experience any of the below, please call 999 or go to A&E straight away. You may be having a serious allergic reaction (anaphylaxis):
- Swelling of the mouth, lips, face, tongue or throat
- Tightness in the chest or throat
- Skin rash that may be red, itchy, blistered, peeling or swollen
- Trouble breathing or speaking
Please refer to the patient information leaflet, which will accompany your medicine, for the full list of side effects.
Imodium Warnings and Drug Interactions
Please check with your pharmacist or doctor if you are planning to buy Imodium Instant, syrup, capsules or tablets, but are also taking any of the below:
- Ritonavir (used to treat HIV)
- Gemfibrozil (high cholesterol)
- Quinidine (abnormal heartbeats or malaria)
- Itraconazole or Ketoconazole (fungal infections)
- Desmopressin (bed wetting or urinating too much)
- Other medicines for diarrhoea relief, stomach or bowel problems or constipation
Always inform your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, herbal medicines, vitamins or supplement products.
Ensure you tell your doctor if your diarrhoea is severe and you take metformin for diabetes, or medicine for heart failure or high blood pressure. You may be advised to pause these medications until your diarrhoea is cured.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Imodium is not recommeded for use when breastfeeding. This is due to the small amounts of the ingredient loperamide is secreated through breast milk.
It is not recommended to use Imodium during pregnancy. Always speak to your doctor before taking any medication when pregnant.
We recommend BUMPS for additional information on taking Imodium syrup during pregnancy.
The main active ingredient within this medicine is: Loperamide hydrochloride
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
Updated on: 07/14/2021
This content has been written by our Superintendent Pharmacist Hussain Abdeh and has been medically reviewed by our Pharmacist Sonia Khan
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.