Imodium Syrup SF
- Diarrhoea relief
- Treats Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Very fast acting
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
347 customer reviews
What is Imodium?
Imodium is the brand name for Loperamide, which is a medication used for diarrhoea relief. Available as a syrup, tablet or capsules, Imodium is one of the most used diarrhoea relief remedies.
With a prescription, you can buy Imodium syrup, which is used to aid moderate to severe diarrhoea, providing fast-acting relief. You can also purchase Imodium Instants.
What is Imodium used for?
Imodium (Loperamide) is primarily used as diarrhoea relief, but can also be used to treat short-term diarrhoea or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
You can also use this product to aid in longer-term issues, such as bowel conditions like Chron's disease.
Who should not use Imodium
This product is available for purchase without a prescription for:
- Adults over 18 years old with IBS or diarrhoea, as long as your doctor has diagnosed IBS
- Anyone 12 years of age and over with short-term diarrhoea
You will need a prescription for Loperamide medicines if any of the below apply to you:
- Children under 12 years old
- Children aged 12 to 17 years old with IBS or long-lasting diarrhoea
- Adults aged 18 or over with long-lasting diarrhoea
This medicine is not suitable if:
- You are constipated or your stomach looks swollen
- You have severe diarrhoea after taking antibiotics
- An inflammatory bowel condition flares up (such as ulcerative colitis)
Please contact your doctor before you take Loperamide if:
- You are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or are breastfeeding
- You have had an allergic reaction to Loperamide or any other medicines in the past
- You have had diarrhoea for more than 48 hours
- You have AIDS and your stomach becomes swollen
- You have blood in your stools and a temperature of more than 38C
- You have liver problems
- You aren't able to digest some sugars
- If you suffer from diarrhoea with IBS, please speak to your doctor before taking this product if:
- You are aged 40 or over and it has been a while since your last IBS attack, or if your symptoms are different than previously
- You have nausea/vomiting
- You have lost weight or your appetite
- You have bad constipation
- You have recently had bloody stools
- You have a fever
- You have recently travelled abroad (you may have contracted a stomach bug)
- You have trouble urinating or find it painful
Possible side effects
Speak to your doctor or contact your pharmacy if any of these adverse effects bother you or persist:
For more serious reactions, please refer to our Side Effects tab.
Always read the dosage information provided with your medicine products.
The dosage quantity you need take will vary from person to person, depending on the severity of your condition.
The usual starting dose should be between four and eight 5ml doses per day in divided doses. Take 4 spoonfuls (5ml) straight away. 2 spoonfuls should then be taken after each attach of diarrhoea.
If you are taking the capsules, Imodium should be taken by consuming two capsules immediately. After then, one capsule or tablet should be taken after each runny bowel movement. Do not exceed the number of capsules recommended by your doctor.
Imodium Syrup FAQ's
How much does Imodium cost?
Do I need a prescription for Imodium products?
Can my child take Imodium products?
Will Imodium cause constipation?
Can I use Imodium if I suffer from IBS?
Will an oral rehydration solution treat my diarrhoea?
Imodium Side Effects
In rare cases, you may experience serious side effects with Imodium.
Please contact your doctor immediately if you experience any of the below:
- Feeling faint, less alert or passing out
- Are moving in a clumsy way
If you experience any of the below, please call 999 or go to A&E straight away. You may be having a serious allergic reaction (anaphylaxis):
- Swelling of the mouth, lips, face, tongue or throat
- Tightness in the chest or throat
- Skin rash that may be red, itchy, blistered, peeling or swollen
- Trouble breathing or speaking
Please refer to the information leaflet, which will accompany your medicine, for the full list of side effects.
Imodium Warnings and Drug Interactions
Certain medicines may interfere with the effectiveness of Imodium.
Please check with your pharmacist or doctor if you are planning to buy Imodium Instant, syrup, capsules or tablets, but are also taking any of the below:
- Ritonavir (used to treat HIV)
- Gemfibrozil (high cholesterol)
- Quinidine (abnormal heartbeats or malaria)
- Itraconazole or Ketoconazole (fungal infections)
- Desmopressin (bed wetting or urinating too much)
- Other medicines for diarrhoea relief, stomach or bowel problems or constipation
Always inform your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, herbal medicines, vitamins or supplement products.
Ensure you tell your doctor if your diarrhoea is severe and you take metformin for diabetes, or medicine for heart failure or high blood pressure. You may be advised to pause these medications until your diarrhoea is cured.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Imodium is not recommeded for use when breastfeeding. This is due to the small amounts of the ingredient loperamide is secreated through breast milk.
It is not recommended to use Imodium during pregnancy. Always speak to your doctor before taking any medication when pregnant.
The product also contains the following inactive ingredients:
Lactose, Maize Starch, Talc and Magnesium Stearate (E572). The capsule itself is made up of Titanium Dioxide (E171), Black Ferrous Oxide (E172), Yellow Ferric Oxide (E172), Indigo Carmine (E132), Erythrosine (E127) and Gelatin.
Always read the full ingredients in any brand of medicine you use.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.