- Effectively treats period pain
- Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug (NSAID)
- Works by soothing flaming agents in the body responsible for pain
Please note Ponstan Forte is no longer manufactured. See Mefenamic Acid for alternative treatment
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Ponstan?
Ponstan is no longer manufactured as of 2021
However, the generic version Mefenamic Acid is available on Medicine Direct.
Ponstan is a derivative of anthranilic acid; the tablet is a non-steroidal and anti-inflammatory drug composed of ingredients which tend to cure minor diseases or pains such as fever, inflammation, stiffness and swelling.
The medicine fights against the flaming agents present in the body, conclusively soothing the pain and inflammation that is caused by them. Which is why it is prescribed to women who suffer with painful and heavy periods.
This product is available to purchase online at Medicine Direct when it has been prescribed by a doctor. If you order before 2pm, next day delivery is available.
What is Ponstan used for?
Ponstan is a type of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used to treat a number of sometimes painful conditions such as arthritis, migraines, dental pain, back pain, muscular and joint pain and even period pain. It is widely prescribed in the UK due to its effectiveness in providing pain relief for a number of conditions.
The medicine is available in various doses such as 250 mg, but should be taken as prescribed by the doctor to avoid hazardous consequences.
Who can take Ponstan?
Ponstan is not suitable for all patients. If you have any doubt at all about whether this is a suitable medicine for you to take, you should speak to your doctor.
- You are not advised to take this medicine if you suffer from any of the following conditions:
- You have high blood pressure
- You have any nervous disorders such as seizures, anxiety, depression or schizophrenia
- You have any blood disorders
- You have a history of anaemia
- You have liver disease
- You have recently had heart bypass surgery
- You have heart failure
- You are allergic to mefenamic acid or any other ingredients in Ponstan
- You have or have recently had any inflammatory stomach conditions
- You are under 18
- You have asthma
- You have any kidney diseases
- You have had a stroke
Please note, because Ponstan contains mefenamic acid, it is not advisable to take it if you are either pregnant, trying to get pregnant or are breastfeeding.
You are not advised to drink alcohol while using this medicine. You should also speak to your doctor about herbal remedies such as green tea before you take Ponstan.
Always read the patient information leaflet before taking any medicine. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure of anything.
Ponstan should be taken orally, with a glass of water. Different dosages may apply to different people.
Do not exceed the stated dose. Ponstan should be taken preferably with or after food. Medicine Direct does not supply Ponstan to children or anyone under the age of 18.
Adults should take one 500mg tablet three times a day.
NSAIDs should be used with particular caution in elderly patients, who are more prone to adverse events, especially with long-term use. If your doctor considers an NSAID to be the best course of treatment for you, they will prescribe you the lowest possible dose to take.
Treatment should be reviewed at regular intervals and discontinued if no benefit is seen or intolerance occurs.
This medicine is not recommended for children under 12 years of age. However, there are other forms of mefenamic acid medicines available which may be suitable; you should speak to your child's doctor about alternatives that are safe for them to take
Do I need a prescription for Ponstan?
How does Ponstan work?
Where Can I Buy Ponstan Online in the UK?
Is Ponstan stronger than ibuprofen?
Can Ponstan be bought over the counter?
What is Ponstan 250mg used for?
This medicine belongs to the group of antibiotics used for the cure of joint pains and flaming infections such as:
- Swelling caused after joint pains
- Dental pain
- Muscle aches
- Menstrual cramps/period pains
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Gout attacks
Is Ponstan a painkiller?
Can I take this medicine with other treatments?
Ponstan Side Effects
As with all medicines, mefenamic acid tablets come with the risk of certain adverse effects.
Not everyone will experience undesirable effects from taking Ponstan, but you should contact your doctor if you experience any of the below problems while using it:
- Abdominal pain
- Feeling drowsy or dizzy
- Decrease in appetite or loss of appetite all together
- Difficulty in sleeping
Please note, this list is not exhaustive. For a list of more serious reactions, please refer to our Side Effects tab on this page. You should always refer to the patient information leaflet for the full list of undesirable effects.
Serious Side Effects
The main side effects of this medicine can be found on the main product page.
In rare cases, you may experience serious adverse effects from taking Ponstan. If any of these symptoms persist, you should contact your doctor immediately:
- You have a change in your vision or blurred vision
- You begin to feel depressed (gain weight, cannot sleep or concentrate, suicidal thoughts, fatigue)
- You develop an infection (stiffness, weight loss, headaches, severe diarrhoea, loss of breath)
- Liver problems (dark urine, vomiting, nausea, loss of appetite, yellowing skin)
- You have changes in your hearing, such as loss of hearing or ringing of the ears
- You become anaemic
- You experience unusual bleeding
- You have severe acid reflux
- You suffer heartburn
- You lose bladder control
In equally rare cases, you may experience severe side effects from taking mefenamic acid. You should seek medical help immediately if you suffer any of these symptoms; you may require treatment in hospital:
- Breathing difficulties (wheezing, fast or irregular breathing, shortness of breath)
- Chest or heart pains (this could be a sign of a heart attack)
- Signs of meningitis
- A skin rash which could be itchy, peeling, blistering, red or swollen
- Swelling in your face, lips, tongue, mouth or throat
Always read the patient information leaflet thoroughly before you start to use any medicine. If you have any concerns or questions, do not hesitate to contact your doctor or pharmacist before you start to use this medication.
Ponstan Warnings and drug interactions
Certain drugs and medications may interact with mefenamic acid. Before you take Ponstan, you should inform your doctor if you are currently taking any other anti-inflammatory drugs.
You should also inform your doctor of any other prescription or non-prescription medicines you are currently taking; this includes herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements.
Speak to your doctor before you take mefenamic acid treatments if you are already using:
- Beta-adrenergic blockers (such as atenolol or metoprolol)
- Ginkgo biloba
- Diuretics (water pills)
- Corticosteroids (such as prednisone, hydrocortisone or dexamethasone)
- Potassium supplements
- Any other NSAIDs
- Certain serotonin reuptake inhibitors (such as paroxetine or sertraline)
This list may not be exhaustive. You should read the patient information leaflet which will come with your order.
If you have any concerns or doubts at all, please check with your doctor before you start using this medication.
Mefenamic acid is the active ingredient used in this medication.
The inactive ingredients used in Ponstan are: Magnesium stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Lactose monohydrate, Colloidal silicon dioxide, Croscarmellose sodium, Gelatin, Sodium lauryl sulphate and Povidone.
If you are allergic to any of the ingredients listed here, you should inform your doctor before you take this medicine.
You should always read the information leaflet fully before using any medicine.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.