Dymista Nasal Spray
- Each bottle contains 120 sprays
- Relieves allergy symptoms
- Contains antihistamine and corticosteroid combination
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Dymista?
Dymista is a nasal spray that is used to relieve the symptoms of both seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis.
Dymista is a steroid nasal spray that will also relieve inflammation in the nasal passage.
You must have a prescription to buy Dymista nasal spray.
What is a Dymista Nasal Spray used to treat?
A Dymista nasal spray is an effective treatment for the symptoms of allergic rhinitis, also known as hay fever.
It provides effective relief from allergy symptoms, including:
- Red, watery or itchy eyes
- Blocked or runny nose
Adults and children over the age of 12 can use this medicine for allergy issues.
Why is Dymista recommended for allergic rhinitis?
Due to its dual action formula and combination of Azelastine Hydrochloride and Fluticasone Propionate, Dymista has been proven to relieve symptoms more effectively than other treatments that contain just one of these active ingredients.
How does Dymista work?
Dymista contains two active substances, one of which is an antihistamine medicine called azelastine hydrochloride. This works by preventing the effects of histamine, which is a chemical that your body produces as a result of an allergic reaction. This lessens the symptoms of hay fever.
Dymista also contains a corticosteroid medicine called fluticasone propionate; this works to reduce inflammation in the nasal passage, helping you to breathe.
Who can use Dymista?
Do not use Dymista nasal spray if you are allergic to azelastine hydrochloride, fluticasone propionate or any of the other ingredients contained in this medicine (please see the Ingredients tab for full details).
This medication should not be used by children under 12 years of age.
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using Dymista if:
- You have tuberculosis or any untreated infections
- You have recently had an operation on your nose
- You have an infection in your nose
- You have a change in vision or a history of ocular pressure, glaucoma and/or cataracts
- You have an impaired adrenal function
- You have a severe liver disease
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
If any of the above apply to you, your doctor will decide whether or not Dymista is a suitable medication for you to take. Read the patient information leaflet for a full list of reasons why Dymista may not be safe for you.
Can you buy Dymista over the counter?
Dymista cannot be bought over the counter. You must have a prescription to purchase this medicine.
Can you buy Dymista online in the UK?
Dymista is a prescription-only medicine (POM). To buy Dymista online from Medicine Direct, you will first need to complete a confidential online questionnaire for one of our registered doctors or pharmacists to review. After they have ensured that this medicine is suitable for you, your order will be confirmed.
As long as you order by 2pm, we can offer you next day delivery on your medication.
Medicine Direct is regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC), which means we can guarantee genuine and safe medication for our customers. All of our medical team possess experience of working in NHS hospitals or other clinical settings. All are registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council, General Medical Council and the MHRA, meaning they are legally qualified to prescribe medication just like your local GP.
Many different types of medicine are available to treat the symptoms of hay fever. At Medicine Direct, we stock several nasal sprays for hay fever, such as Flixonase, which contains the corticosteroid medicine fluticasone propionate. This medicine also works to relieve inflammation. Another steroid nasal spray available from our pharmacy is Rhinocort Aqua, which contains budesonide.
Aside from nasal sprays, various tablet medicines can be ordered from our pharmacy after an online consultation. Antihistamine medicines like Loratadine, Cetirizine and Levocetirizine work to block histamine from creating allergy symptoms. These antihistamines, as well as several others, are available from Medicine Direct.
Directions of use for Dymista Nasal Spray
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Dymista nasal spray.
Always use Dymista nasal spray as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly and speak to your doctor or pharmacist for further guidance if you are still not sure.
Adults and children over the age of 12 should have one spray into each nostril in the morning and evening.
How to use Dymista
- Shake the bottle gently for 5 seconds then remove the protective cap.
- Blow your nose before using the spray, to clear your nostrils.
- Keep your head tilted downwards, do not tilt it backwards.
- Hold the bottle upright and carefully insert the tip into one nostril.
- Close the other nostril with your finger and press down on the pump while sniffing gently at the same time. This will administer one spray into your nostril.
- Breathe out through your mouth.
- Repeat the same process with your other nostril.
- After using the nasal spray, breathe in gently and do not tilt your head back. If you tilt your head back, the medicine may travel to your throat and cause an unpleasant taste.
- Wipe the spray tip clean after each time you use it.
Common side effects of Dymista nasal spray include:
- Unpleasant smell
- A bitter taste in your mouth, particularly if you have tilted your head back after using the spray. This should go away after having a soft drink.
Less common reactions may also include:
- Irritation on the inside of your nose
- Cough, dry throat or throat irritation, or nasal dryness
- Dry mouth
Speak to your doctor if any of these reactions bother you or do not go away.
Serious side effects
In rarer cases, Dymista may cause the following side effects:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Cataract or glaucoma
- Increased pressure in the eye which may lead to loss of vision or red/painful eyes
- Damage of the skin and mucous membrane in the nose
- Feeling sick, weary, weak or exhaustion
- Rash, raised itchy bumps
Some people may also have blurred vision or sores in their nose.
Always read the patient information leaflet thoroughly for comprehensive details on side effects.
Warnings and drug interactions
Before using Dymista Nasal Spray, make sure your doctor is aware if you are taking any other medication, whether it is for hay fever or another condition altogether. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medication, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements.
Some medicines might increase the effects of Dymista, so your doctor might want to monitor you more closely than usual if you are taking any of these medicines. These include some medicines for HIV, ritonavir, cobicistat and medicines to treat fungal infections, such as ketoconazole.
Dymista can have a mild effect on your ability to drive and operate machinery. In rare instances, you may suffer from dizziness or drowsiness while using Dymista; if either of these do affect you, you should not drive, cycle or operate machinery until you feel better again. If these symptoms persist, please speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Dymista Nasal Spray contains benzalkonium chloride, which may cause irritation or the mucous membrane and bronchospasm. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist if the spray causes you discomfort.
Always read the patient information leaflet for full details on warnings and drug interactions as some medicines can interact with the ingredient Azelastine and some medicines can interact with the ingredient Fluticasone.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Please speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using this medicine if:
- You are currently pregnant
- You think you might be pregnant
- You are trying to get pregnant
- You are currently breastfeeding
We recommend BUMPS for additional information.
The main active ingredients within this medicine are: Fluticasone propionate and Azelastine hydrochloride.
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics.
Will Dymista work straight away?Some people feel the effects of Dymista within 30 minutes of taking the first dose. However, it may take several days before you feel the full benefit.
Can Dymista cause sleepiness?Drowsiness is a very rare side effect of using Dymista and may only occur in up to 1 in 10,000 people. However, if this affects you, do not drive, ride a bike or use machines until you feel better.
Can I drink alcohol while using Dymista?Drinking alcohol may enhance certain side effects, such as dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience any side effects, you are advised against drinking alcohol.
Does Dymista cause weight gain?Weight gain is not a reported side effect of Dymista.
What should I do if I get an unpleasant taste in my mouth?This is commonly due to tilting your head back while using the nasal spray. Have a soft drink a few minutes after using Dymista, this should be enough to get rid of the taste.
How long can you use Dymista?You should not use Dymista nasal sprays for longer than six months, unless your doctor advises you to do so.
Is it safe to use Dymista in the long term?Dymista can be used in the long term, but should only be used when needed. Your doctor will advise you on how long you should use Dymista for. Ask them if you are not sure.
Is Dymista a steroid?Dymista contains two active ingredients, an antihistamine (azelastine hydrochloride) and a corticosteroid (fluticasone propionate). Corticosteroids are a type of steroid.
Can I use Dymista if I am pregnant?Speak to your doctor before using Dymista if you are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Is it unsafe to swallow the liquid from Dymista?A small amount of liquid may trickle down your throat while using Dymista, especially if you tilt your head back while using the nasal spray. This should not do you any harm. However, you must not drink the liquid or swallow large amounts of it.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.