- Effectively treats Migraines
- Very fast acting
- Generic version of Almogran
Please note brand received may vary
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
Quick migraine facts
- 1 in 5 women suffer from migraines
- 1 in 15 men suffer from migraines
- Migraines last between 4 - 72 hours
- There are 190,000 migraine attacks every day in the UK
- Around 10 million people in the UK suffer from migraines
What is Almotriptan?
Almotriptan tablets are an effective medication to help people who are suffering from migraine attacks. This medicine is often sold under the brand name Almogran.
It is only available to buy on prescription and can be taken by adults over the age of 18.
Almotriptan narrows the blood vessels in the brain, which are believed to cause migraines when they widen. This relieves the throbbing headache that comes with this condition.
What is Almotriptan used to treat?
Taking Almotriptan tablets will provide fast-acting relief from the pain associated with migraine headaches. Almotriptan belongs to a group of medicines called triptans. Triptans are specifically prescribed to relieve the pain caused by migraine headaches.
If you require additional pain relief, you can take Almotriptan alongside over the counter painkillers like paracetamol and ibuprofen.
How does Almotriptan work?
It is not completely understood what the cause of a migraine is, but the throbbing pain is believed to be a result of the brain's blood vessels widening. Almotriptan is a serotonin receptor agonist, meaning that it stimulates the brain's serotonin receptors, reducing the inflammatory response caused by migraines by causing the blood vessels to narrow.
It is most effective when taken at the onset of a migraine attack, but if you are not able to take it until later on during a migraine episode, it should still be effective. However, taking Almotriptan will not prevent a migraine, so you should not use the medicine for this purpose.
How to take Almotriptan
Ideally, you should take Almotriptan at the first sign of a migraine attack; but it will still provide relief if taken later into an attack.
Take one 12.5mg tablet at the onset of an attack. Swallow the tablet whole with a drink of water.
If your symptoms do not go away or come back, you can take a second dose after two hours.
Do not take more than two tablets in 24 hours.
If your symptoms persist, speak to your doctor.
Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive instructions on how your medicine should be taken. Ask your doctor if you are not sure.
Who can take Almotriptan?
Almotriptan is not a suitable treatment for everyone to take.
Do not take Almotriptan tablets if you are allergic to almotriptan or any of the other ingredients in the tablets.
If you have ever suffered from any diseases that restrict the blood supply to your heart, Almotriptan is not suitable for you. These include:
- Heart attack
- Chest pain or discomfort that happens with stress or activity
- Heart problems without any pain
- Severe high blood pressure
- Mild or moderate high blood pressure that is not controlled
- You have ever had a stroke or a reduction in blood flow to the brain
- You have ever had obstruction of the large arteries in your arms or legs
- You are already taking any other treatment for migraines, such as ergotamine or other serotonin antagonists
- You have severe liver disease
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if:
- Your headache symptoms are different to your normal migraine attacks. They may include vertigo or short-term paralysis on one side of your body
- Your type of migraine has not been diagnosed
- You are allergic to sulphonamides (antibacterial medicines that are used in the treatment of urinary tract infections)
- You suffer from severe kidney disease
- You have liver disease
- You are over the age of 65
- You are at risk of heart disease, such as having uncontrolled high blood pressure, obesity, smoking, high cholesterol, a family history of heart disease, postmenopausal women or men over 40 years old
- You are taking antidepressants classed as SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) or SNRIs (serotonin noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors)
This medication is only to be taken by adults over the age of 18. It is not suitable for children.
Can you buy Almotriptan over the counter?
Almotriptan is a prescription-only medicine (POM), so you cannot buy it over the counter.
Can you buy Almotriptan online in the UK?
To buy Almotriptan online from Medicine Direct, you will first need to complete our confidential online consultation questionnaire; this is so that one of our registered prescribers can make sure Almotriptan is safe for you to take.
If you place your order by 2pm, we can offer you next day delivery on your medication.
Never buy any medicine online unless it is from a pharmacy that is regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council, like Medicine Direct. Our doctors and pharmacists are all registered with the General Medical Council, meaning they can prescribe medicine just like your local GP.
Many alternative medicines are available to order from our pharmacy if Almotriptan is not suitable for you. We also stock other triptan medicines, including Sumatriptan and Rizatriptan, which will work in the same way as Almotriptan to relieve your symptoms. These medicines are only available on prescription, but you can buy them from our pharmacy after filling out our questionnaire so a prescriber can review your answers.
The likes of Anadin Extra and Migraleve Pink do not need a prescription to purchase and are also available from our pharmacy after an online consultation.
You can view our full range of migraine treatments by visiting the Migraine product page on our site.
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Almotriptan.
Always take Almotriptan tablets exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly before you start taking them. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist for more information if you are unsure of how to take them.
This medicine must only be taken as a treatment for actual migraines as they happen, they should not be taken to prevent a migraine or a headache.
Almotriptan tablets should be swallowed whole with a drink of water. You can take them with or without food.
The recommended dose for adults aged 18-65 years old is one 12.5 mg tablet, which you should take as soon as possible after you feel the symptoms of a migraine coming on. Do not take more than one tablet for the same migraine if your symptoms do not improve.
If you suffer a second migraine within 24 hours, you can take a second tablet as long as you leave at least 2 hours between taking your first and second tablet.
Do not take more than two tablets in a 24 hour period.
If you have severe kidney disease, do not take more than one tablet in a 24 hour period.
What if I forget to take it?
Try to take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, do not take a double dose to try and make up for it.
What if I take more than I am supposed to?
Speak to a doctor or pharmacist if you or someone else takes more Almotriptan tablets than instructed.
Almotriptan Side Effects
Rare side effects of Almotriptan include:
- Increased heart rate
- Heart attack
- Heart spasm
Seek immediate medical attention if you suffer any of the above.
In rare cases, you may suffer a severe allergic reaction and require immediate treatment in hospital. Call 999 or go to A&E if:
- You are wheezing
- You develop a skin rash that is red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- You have swelling in your face, lips, mouth, tongue or throat
- You are finding it hard to breathe or speak
- You have tightness in your chest or throat
Always read the patient information leaflet for a comprehensive list of side effects.
Almotriptan Warnings and drug interactions
Tell your doctor if you are already taking any other form of medicine before taking Almotriptan.
In particular, inform your doctor if you are currently taking:
- Medicines to treat depression, including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) or serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Any herbal remedies that contain St John's Wort
Always read the patient information leaflet for more guidance. If you have any questions or concerns at all, we strongly advise you to speak to your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
You should speak to your doctor for information on whether it is suitable for you to take Almotriptan if you are currently pregnant, think you might be pregnant, or are trying to get pregnant.
You should also speak to your doctor for guidance if you are breastfeeding. If they deem it suitable for you to take, you should not breastfeed for 24 hours after taking Almotriptan tablets.
The main active ingredients within this medicine are: Almotriptan d and l-hydrogen malate
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.