- Widely used to effectively treat Thrush and other infections
- Generally clears the signs and symptoms of Thrush within 1 week
- Works by killing the yeast which causes fungal infections
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Canesten Cream?
Canesten is the brand name for clotrimazole, which is an antifungal medicine. It is used to treat conditions like athlete's foot and thrush.
You are able to buy Canesten from a pharmacy, some stronger doses are only available when you have a prescription.
You can buy Canesten from Medicine Direct's online pharmacy, and if you order before 2pm we can offer you free next day delivery on your medicine.
We sell the 2% dosage in a 20g tube.
What is Canesten Cream used to treat?
You can buy Canesten to treat infections like penile and vaginal thrush.
Thrush is caused by a yeast (fungus) infection. It can affect the vagina and areas around it, the penis, breasts and nipples. It may also affect areas like armpits, in between your fingers and the top of your inner thighs.
The active ingredient, clotrimazole, works by killing the yeast which causes fungal infections; it is an effective treatment for thrush, generally getting rid of it within one week. However, to safeguard against the infection coming back, your doctor will normally advise you to use this thrush treatment for at least two weeks.
Who can use Canesten Cream?
This medication can be used by most adults and children, but some people will need to check with their doctor beforehand.
Speak to your doctor if any of the below apply to you:
- You are a man who has thrush, but your sexual partner does not
- You have sores, ulcers, or blisters on, or around, your vagina
- You have had thrush more than twice in the past 6 months
- This is the first time you have had thrush
- You have abnormal discharge from your penis
- You have ulcers, sores, or blisters on your penis
- You have bloody discharge, or irregular bleeding/discharge from your vagina
- You or your partner have ever had a sexually transmitted disease
- You are under 16 years of age or over 60 years of age
Do not use this treatment if:
- You are on your period
- You are allergic to clotrimazole or any other ingredient used in this thrush treatment
- You have an intolerance to certain sugars
Canesten Cream Dosage
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Canesten Cream.
Always apply Canesten cream exactly as instructed by your doctor. Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly before you use it; speak to your doctor if you are unsure of anything.
How to use Canesten thrush cream
Wash your hands thoroughly. Apply a thin layer of the cream to the affected area(s) 2 or 3 times a day, gently rub it in. Wash your hands once this is complete.
Treatment will need to be continued for 1 to 2 weeks after treating the internal infection.
Speak to your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after this time.
What if I forget to apply it?
If you forget to apply the cream, just apply it as soon as you remember.
Try to apply it at the same times each day; this will provide an effective thrush treatment and help you to get into a routine of using it.
Do not apply the cream more than 3 times in one day.
What if I use too much?
Using too much Canesten may irritate your skin. If this does happen, use less cream next time.
Speak to your doctor if the irritation or discomfort worries you or does not go away.
Canesten Cream Side effects
As with all medicines, Canesten cream comes with a risk of adverse effects, although not everyone gets them.
Speak to your doctor if any of these symptoms concern you or don't go away:
- Red, irritated skin
- Pain, burning or stinging sensation
Try to complete your course of treatment by using less of the cream if any of these reactions affect you. However, your doctor may tell you to stop using the cream before treatment is complete if your symptoms persist.
Speak to a doctor as soon as possible if any of these symptoms occur:
- Pain or difficulty when passing urine
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Foul odour from discharge from the vagina
- Abnormal bleeding or bloody discharge
- Blister, ulcers or sores on the vagina/vulva
In rare cases, you may suffer from a serious allergic reaction to Canesten. Either call 999 or go to A&E straight away if you experience any of the following:
- You are finding it difficult to breathe or speak
- You have swelling in your mouth, throat, face, lips, or tongue
- You have a skin rash that is red, swollen, itchy, blistered or peeling skin
- You have tightness in the chest or throat
- You are wheezing
You may require immediate treatment in hospital.
Always read the patient information leaflet thoroughly, for a comprehensive list of adverse reactions you may experience.
Canesten Cream Warnings and drug interactions
As with most medications Canesten may interact with other medicines.
You should inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are currently using any other medications. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medications, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements.
Do not stop using the cream until your course of treatment is complete.
Never buy any medicine online unless it is from a pharmacy that is registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council, like Medicine Direct.
If this is the first time you have had thrush, you can speak to an online doctor, who can advise you on the best course of treatment. From there, you can buy your thrush treatment from our pharmacy and receive it in just a few working days.
Order from our online pharmacy before 2pm and we offer next day free delivery.
If you have any questions or concerns at all, we strongly advise you to discuss these with a doctor or pharmacist, before you start to use the treatment.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Using Canesten cream during pregnancy is generally considered to be safe.
It is also considered safe to use if you are breastfeeding, although you should wash the cream off your breasts before breastfeeding, if you are applying it to your breasts.
If you want to know more about using Canesten during pregnancy and breastfeeding, we recommend BUMPS.
Canesten Cream Ingredients
The main active ingredient within this medicine is: Clotrimazole
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.