- Very high in natural fibre
- Helps to promote natural bowel movements
- Relieves spasms and cramps in the gut
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
347 customer reviews
What is Fybogel Mebeverine?
Fybogel Mebeverine is a medicine which contains ispaghula husk, a natural plant material that is very high in fibre.
This prescription medicine works by increasing the bulk of the contents of your gut passing through the digestive system. This helps to promote normal bowel movements and relieves spasms and cramps that occur in your gut.
You can buy Fybogel Mebeverine from Medicine Direct after an online consultation with one of our certified doctors.
Order before 2pm and we can offer you next day delivery on your purchase.
What is Fybogel Mebeverine used to treat?
Fybogel Mebeverine is an effective treatment for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
It contains two active ingredients, ispaghula husk and mebeverine. Ispaghula husk is a type of fibre known as a bulk-forming laxative, which helps to relieve constipation and maintain regular bowel movements. When mixed with water, it swells in the gut and increases the volume of your bowel movements, without being absorbed into the body.
Mebeverine is an antispasmodic which relaxes the muscles in and around the intestinal wall, which relieves the abdominal pain that comes with spasms associated with irritable bowel syndrome.
Who can take Fybogel Mebeverine?
Fybogel is not suitable for children who are under 12 years old.
Do not use this treatment if any of the below conditions apply to you:
- You have difficulty swallowing
- You have any throat problems
- You have had a sudden change in your bowel habits that has lasted for longer than 2 weeks
- You have a blockage of the bowel
- You have any muscle weakness or a decreased activity of the bowel
- You have blood in your stools or are suffering from constipation
You should consult your doctor before taking Fybogel Mebeverine if any of these apply to you:
- You have recently travelled abroad
- You have a fever
- You are aged 40 years old or over, or are debilitated
- You are a care giver or healthcare worker who has been preparing treatments with ispaghula husk for a long time – you may have become allergic to it
- You have the inherited condition, phenylketonuria
- You look pale or feel tired
- You have abnormal vaginal discharge or bleeding
- You have acute porphyria
- You have been prescribed any diuretic medicines, or medicines that may cause constipation
- You find it difficult or painful to urinate
- You have lost weight or lost your appetite
- You have abdominal pain, feel sick or are vomiting
Always read the patient information leaflet, which comes with your medicine, before you start to take it, for a full list.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Inform your doctor before you use Fybogel Mebeverine if you are currently pregnant, think you may be pregnant, or are trying to get pregnant
You should not take Fybogel Mebeverine if you are currently breastfeeding.
Possible side effects
As with all medications, Fybogel Mebeverine may cause certain adverse effects, although not everyone gets them.
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience a skin rash; symptoms may include itching or stinging.
For the first few days of using this medicine, you may experience flatulence or bloating; these symptoms should go away as your treatment progresses.
You may also have difficulty swallowing and/or a bowel blockage.
If any of these symptoms bother you or persist, you should speak to your doctor as soon as possible.
Please, refer to the Side Effects tab on this page for a list of rarer, more serious reactions you might experience.
Fybogel Mebeverine Dosage
Always read the patient information leaflet thoroughly before you start to take Fybogel Mebeverine. Make sure you follow your doctor's instructions on how to take this medication. Consult your doctor if you are unsure of how to take it.
Adults and children over 12 years old should take Fybogel Mebeverine half an hour before they eat a meal. They should take one sachet in the morning and one in the evening, or as instructed by your doctor.
To take this medicine, stir the contents of one sachet into a glass of cold water (at least 150mg) and drink it immediately.
Avoid inhaling the powder while pouring it into the glass.
Do not take Fybogel Mebeverine without water or before you go to bed. Wait at least one hour before you take any other medicine. The effects of this treatment may take between 12 and 24 hours to relieve your symptoms.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, just take the next dose at the scheduled time. Do not double dose to try and make up for missing a previous dose.
What if I take more than I should?
If you take too much, drink plenty of water to flush the extra medicine out of your system.
Fybogel Mebeverine FAQ's
When will I feel better after taking Fybogel?
What is Fybogel Mebeverine?
How does Fybogel Mebeverine work?
Is long term use of Fybogel Mebeverine safe?
Is Fybogel a laxative?
Is it okay to take Fybogel Mebeverine if I have diarrhoea?
What should I do if it doesn't work?
Can you buy Fybogel Mebeverine over the counter?
Fybogel Mebeverine Side effects
It is possible to suffer a mild allergic reaction while taking Fybogel Mebeverine. Stop taking this medicine and speak to your doctor or pharmacist for advice if you think this is happening to you.
In rare cases, you could experience a serious allergic reaction to Fybogel Mebeverine, or any of its ingredients, and require immediate treatment in hospital.
You should either go to A&E or dial 999 straight away if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- You have a skin rash that is red, itchy, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin
- You have swelling in your throat, mouth, face, lips, or tongue
- You are wheezing
- You have tightness in your chest or throat
- You are finding it difficult to breathe or speak
This list might not be exhaustive. Always read the patient information leaflet thoroughly before you start to use this medicine.
Fybogel Mebeverine Warnings and drug interactions
Fybogel Mebeverine can interact with other medicines and increase your risk of side effects or hinder the medicine's effectiveness.
Always ensure you tell your doctor if you are taking any other medicines before you start using another one. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medications, vitamins, supplements and herbal remedies.
In particular, you should inform your doctor if you are already taking any of the following:
- Carbamazepine to treat mood problems and epilepsy
- The heart medicine digoxin
- Mesalazine, which is used to treat gut problems
Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly before you start to take this medicine.
If you have any questions or concerns at all, we strongly advise you to discuss these with your doctor, before you start to use Fybogel Mebeverine.
Never order medicine online unless it is from a pharmacy registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council, like Medicine Direct.
If you order with us, we promise you only genuine medicine and if you order before 2pm, we can offer you next day delivery on your purchase.
Fybogel Mebeverine Ingredients
The active ingredients contained in Fybogel Mebeverine are ispaghula husk and mebeverine.
It also contains the following inactive ingredients: Potassium hydrogen carbonate, sodium hydrogen carbonate, microcrystalline cellulose, basic butylated methacrylate copolymer, sterilised talc, polyethylene glycol 6000, citric acid, polysorbate 80, silica colloidal anhydrous, saccharin sodium, aspartame E951, orange flavour, beta-carotene, riboflavin sodium phosphate and apocarotenal colouring.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.