- Effective topical cream for treating erectile dysfunction
- Takes effect in up to 30 minutes
- Lasting results between 1 and 2 hours
Please note brand received may vary
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Vitaros cream?
Vitaros cream is a topical treatment that is used by men over the age of 18 for erectile dysfunction (ED).
You must have a prescription to buy Vitaros cream.
What is Vitaros cream used to treat?
Vitaros cream is an effective topical medicine for erectile dysfunction (ED).
It makes for a convenient and discreet solution for men who have trouble swallowing tablets like Viagra. This cream can help a man to gain an erection in as little time as five minutes after application.
Why is Vitaros cream recommended for erectile dysfunction?
Research has revealed that 52% of men who used Vitaros cream reported having better erections than those who used a placebo cream. This evidence was found during a 12-week study of 1,732 men.
A nine-month study of 1,161 men revealed that many of the participants reported an improved vaginal penetration after using Vitaros.
How does Vitaros cream treat erectile dysfunction?
Vitaros cream contains the active ingredient alprostadil, which works on the erectile tissue of the penis. It causes the blood vessels in the erectile tissue of the penis to dilate, which makes it easier to gain an erection.
It will take between 5 and 30 minutes for Vitaros to work. Once you have applied the cream, an erection will normally last for between one and two hours, although the duration varies in each case.
Who can use Vitaros cream?
Vitaros is not a suitable treatment for everyone to use. This erectile dysfunction treatment must not be used by women or males who are under the age of 18.
Do not use Vitaros cream if any of the following apply to you:
- You are allergic to alprostadil or any of the other ingredients contained in this medicine
- You have any condition that may cause a long-lasting erection, or a condition like sickle cell anaemia or trait, leukaemia, polycythemia, thrombocythemia or multiple myeloma
- You have an abnormally formed penis
- You have any underlying conditions, such as a fall in blood pressure which occurs when you stand after lying/sitting down
- You have an infection or inflammation of the penis
- You have been told not to have sex for health reasons, such as having suffered a stroke or heart problems
- You are prone to venous thrombosis
- You have hyperviscosity syndrome that may result in a long-lasting erection
- Your partner is pregnant or breastfeeding, or could be at risk of getting pregnant if you don't use a condom
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using Vitaros if you have a history of any of the local effects listed below, which have been observed with the use of Vitaros:
- Symptomatic hypotension (dizziness)
- Hepatic and/or renal insufficiency
- Prolonged erections (lasting for longer than 4 hours)
If you are not sure if Vitaros is suitable for you, please speak to your doctor or pharmacist. Further information can be found in the patient information leaflet.
Can you buy Vitaros cream over the counter?
No, you cannot buy Vitaros cream over the counter, it is a prescription-only medicine (POM).
Can you buy Vitaros online in the UK?
You can buy Vitaros cream online from pharmacies like Medicine Direct.
All you need to do is fill out a confidential online questionnaire on our website. One of our doctors, pharmacists or prescribers will review your answers and assess your condition to make sure that Vitaros cream is suitable for you to use.
To make sure you only buy genuine medication, you should never buy any kind of medicine online unless it is from a fully regulated UK pharmacy, like Medicine Direct. We are able to guarantee all who order with us that they are in the safe hands of certified medical professionals. Full details on the authorities we are regulated by can be found on the About Us page.
Vitaros Cream Alternatives
We also stock a range of erectile dysfunction treatments that you can buy online.
Viagra is the most famous erectile dysfunction treatment in the world. It is a prescription-only treatment but can be bought from Medicine Direct after an online consultation.
Cialis is one of the most renowned medications for men who find it difficult to gain erections. Once taken, the effects of this medicine last for up to 36 hours. Spedra tablets are also available, which work in the same way as Viagra and Cialis and are available in various doses.
These medicines work by widening the blood vessels in the penis to allow better blood flow. This helps you to gain and maintain an erection long enough to complete sexual intercourse.
How to use Vitaros cream
Vitaros cream can be used up to three times a week. Do not apply the cream more than once in a 24 hour period.
You should urinate before you apply the cream. Apply the cream between five and 30 minutes before you have sexual intercourse.
- Wash your hands before you apply the cream.
- Remove the AccuDose container from the sachet and save the sachet for discarding the container.
- Roll the container between your hands to bring the cream up to room temperature.
- Twist the plunger until it glides with ease, before removing the cap from the container.
- Grasping the tip of your penis, hold it in an upright position and gently squeeze it to widen the opening.
- Position the tip of the container as close to the opening of the penis as possible. Push down on the plunger until all of the cream has been inserted into the opening of the penis. Do not insert the container into the penis.
- Continue to hold the penis upright for 30 seconds so the cream can travel down the urethra properly. Gently move any excess cream to the opening of the penis.
- Wash your hands again after you have applied the cream.
Please note that you should wear a condom if your partner is pregnant or breastfeeding.
Always use Vitaros in the dose your doctor has prescribed. Read the patient information leaflet, which will accompany the cream, for a comprehensive list of instructions.
Vitaros Cream Side Effects
Like all medicine, Vitaros cream can cause side effects, although not everyone gets them.
Seek medical attention straight away if you get an erection that lasts for longer than 4 hours. Your dose may be reduced, or you may be advised to stop using the treatment.
Common side effects of this medicine that may affect you include:
- Genital pruritus
- Mild to moderate local aching, burning or pain and redness of the penis
- Penile oedema
- Penile burning, tingling or throbbing numbness
- Inflammation of the glans penis
This list is not exhaustive. Read the patient information leaflet for a full list of rarer and more serious side effects.
Vitaros Cream Warnings
Before you start to use Vitaros cream, please ensure you tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are already using any other medicine. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medication, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements.
Do not combine other treatments for erectile dysfunction (ED) with Vitaros.
Although it has not been proven, Vitaros may be less effective when combined with the following medicines:
- Medication for high blood pressure
- Appetite suppressants
When taken in combination with high blood pressure medication, Vitaros may increase the symptoms of fainting and dizziness, particularly in elderly patients.
Do not use Vitaros if you are also taking any medication to prevent blood clots.
Vitaros has not been tested for use with smooth muscle relaxants or penile implants. Talk to your doctor if you use either of these.
See the NICE website for more information on medicines that interact with Vitaros Cream.
You should still use a condom alongside Vitaros in the following circumstances:
- During anal and oral sex
- To prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Your partner is pregnant or breastfeeding
- Your partner could become pregnant
It is unknown whether Vitaros has an effect on male fertility.
Your erection may be reduced if you are suffering from anxiety, tension, fatigue or have drunk too much alcohol.
Urinating straight after applying this medicine may mean that Vitaros does not take effect.
Read the patient information leaflet for complete details on warnings.
Vitaros Cream Ingredients
The main active ingredient within this medicine is: Alprostadil
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics.
How much does it cost to buy Vitaros Cream online in the UK?
Dosage Quantity Price Vitaros Cream 4 Applications £61.99 Vitaros Cream 8 Applications £116.99
Can I get Vitaros cream on the NHS?Some men are eligible to get this treatment on the NHS if they have an underlying medical condition that makes it difficult for them to get an erection. You should speak to your doctor about your eligibility for this.
How long will my erection last?Vitaros cream can help you to gain an erection for between one and two hours, although this will differ slightly for each man.
Can I do anything to help my erectile dysfunction?Healthy lifestyle choices may help to reduce this issue. These can include seeking counselling if you are stressed, giving up smoking and cutting down on alcohol and fatty foods. Speak to your doctor for more information.
How effective is Vitaros?One study found that 52% of men using Vitaros reported having better erections compared to men who used a placebo treatment.
How long does Vitaros Cream take to work?This medicine should start to work between 5 minutes and half an hour after application.
Should I wear a condom when using Vitaros Cream?Yes, wearing a condom when using vitaros cream is recommended if you are having sex with a new partner. Wearing a condom will not affect how vitaros cream works.
How often can I use Vitaros cream?You should not use Vitaros cream more than once within a 24 hour period.
What is the price of Vitaros Cream in the UK?The price of vitaros cream starts at £61.99 for 4 applications. You can buy vitaros cream online at Medicine Direct.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.