Minocin MR (Acnamino)
- Reduces inflammation and redness of the skin
- Helps to heal the area surrounding the spots
- Improves the appearance of Ance *Please note brand may vary - please specify brand desired in your consultation form
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Minocin MR?
Minocin is the brand name for a tetracycline antibiotic called minocycline.
It is available as a prescription-only medication and is used in the treatment of a number of bacterial infections.
You can buy Minocin MR online when you have a prescription from a doctor at Medicine Direct, following an online consultation. Order before 2pm and we can offer you next day delivery on your medication. We sell Minocin (minocycline) in packets of either 56 capsules or 112 capsules, in the standard dose of 100mg.
Minocycline capsules are also available to buy at Medicine Direct’s online pharmacy.
What is Minocin MR used to treat?
Minocin MR (minocycline) is used as a treatment for a number of bacterial infections, and is very commonly prescribed to aid in the treatment of acne.
Acne is caused by the clogging of skin pores; if your skin becomes infected as a result, spots may appear.
The active ingredient, minocycline hydrochloride, helps to fight against the infection that causes spots, reducing inflammation and helping to heal the area surrounding the spots.
Who can take Minocin MR?
Minocin MR is an effective acne treatment, but it is not suitable for everyone to take.
Make sure your doctor and pharmacist are aware if:
- You have had an allergic reaction to minocycline tablets or any other tetracycline antibiotic in the past
- You have had an allergic reaction to any other medicines in the past
- You have kidney disease
- The person this treatment has been prescribed for is under the age of 12 years old
- You have systemic lupus erythematosus
- You have myasthenia gravis
- You have liver disease
Minocin MR can affect the results of certain medical tests. If you require any tests, you should make sure the doctor, nurse or practitioner is aware that you are taking this medication.
This list may not be exhaustive, you should read the patient information leaflet for a full list of conditions that may make Minocin an unsuitable treatment for you.
Possible side effects
As with any medication, taking Minocin MR does come with the risk of certain side effects, although not everyone will experience them.
Minocin (minocycline) is generally considered to be very safe, but you should still seek medical attention if any of the below side effects persist or do not go away:
- Stomach upsets
- Feeling sick
- Loss of appetite
- Sore mouth
- Hearing problems, such as ringing of the ears
- Feeling unsteady on your feet
- Skin problems, including a rash or sensitivity to sunlight
- Hair loss
- A cough
This list is not exhaustive. Please refer to the Side Effects tab on this page for a list of more serious and rarer adverse reactions you may suffer.
Be sure to read the patient information leaflet for full details on this acne treatment.
You should only ever order medicine online if it is with a UK registered online pharmacy. Many fake versions of medications are available to be bought online, which may be ineffective and dangerous to use. Medicine Direct is an online pharmacy that is registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPC), meaning we guarantee nothing but genuine medication when you order with us.
We offer next day delivery on all orders placed online before 2pm.
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Minocin MR (Acnamino).
Always follow your doctor's instructions exactly when taking Minocin (minocycline). Always read the patient information leaflet, which will come in your medication's packet, before you start to take Minocin. Consult your doctor if you are unsure of anything.
To treat acne, the usual dose of Minocin (minocycline) is one tablet per day. A lower dose may be required for elderly people, but your doctor will advise you if this is the case for your course of treatment.
Minocin capsules should be swallowed whole with a glass of water. Do not chew, crush or suck the capsules. These capsules should be taken at the same time every day.
Take them while you are either sitting or standing, to make sure the medication is digested properly.
You must not remove the capsules from the packets until it is time to take them. The container protects Minocin capsules from moisture, which can spoil them.
What if I forget to take it?
If you forget to take Minocin (minocycline), you just take it as soon as you remember. If it is nearly time for your next scheduled dose, you should just skip the missed dose and keep taking Minocin as normal.
Never double dose in an attempt to make up for a missed dose.
To effectively treat acne, you must be consistent with your doses of medication. For this reason, it is important you don't miss doses on a regular basis; to get into a routine of taking the medicine, take it at the same time every day.
What if I take more than I am supposed to?
If you accidentally take more Minocin (minocycline) than your doctor has instructed you to, you should seek medical attention immediately. Be sure to take the medication packet with you.
Can Minocin MR affect your teeth?
Does Minocin MR clear the skin quickly?
What does Minocin MR treat?
Why choose Minocin MR?
Can anyone use Minocin MR?
Minocin Side Effects
The more common side effects of Minocin MR can be found on the main page.
In rarer cases, you may experience more serious adverse reactions to this medicine. You should contact your doctor immediately if any of these happen to you while using Minocin:
- Headache, blurred vision or loss of vision
- Pain in the upper abdomen or back
- Redness/swelling of the penis
- Inflamed blood vessels
- Sudden fever, sore throat, feeling tired, convulsions, unexplained bleeding or bruising
- Heartburn or difficulty swallowing
- Red patches on the skin
- White patches in the mouth
- Itching around the anus or vagina (may be accompanied by unusual vaginal discharge)
- Worsening or developing symptoms of systemic lupus erythematosus
- Worsening or developing symptoms of myasthenia gravis
- Numbness or pins and needles in the hands and/or feet
- Staining of the teeth, gums, nails, lips, eyes, breast milk, tears or tongue
- Staining anywhere else on the body
In rare instances, it is possible that you may suffer a severe allergic reaction to Minocin. This could be life-threatening and you may require immediate treatment in hospital.
You should call 999 or go to A&E straight away if:
- You have a skin rash that is red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling
- You have swelling in the mouth, face, tongue, lips or throat
- You are wheezing
- You are having difficulty in talking or breathing
- You have tightness in the chest or throat
Always read the patient information leaflet that will come with your medication for a full list of potential adverse reactions. If you have any doubts or concerns at all, you are strongly advised to speak to your doctor before you start to use Minocin.
Minocin Warnings and drug interactions
As with all medicines, Minocin can interact with other medications when taken at the same time.
Always ensure that your doctor is aware of all medicines you are currently using. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medications, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements.
In particular, you should inform your doctor if you are currently taking any of the below:
- Anticoagulants, such as Warfarin
- Penicillin antibiotics
- Indigestion remedies
- Any vitamins or supplements that contain iron, calcium, aluminium, magnesium, bismuth or zinc salts
- Any medicines you have bought without a prescription
If you are taking any vitamins, supplements or indigestion remedies that contain iron, calcium, aluminium, magnesium, bismuth or zinc salts, you should take these at least 3 hours before or after you take a dose of Minocin MR. These medicines can prevent Minocin from working properly if taken at the same time.
If you are taking a contraceptive pill and suffer from either diarrhoea, vomiting or bleeding, your pill may not work.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
This medication may not be suitable if you are pregnant. You should inform your doctor if you are currently pregnant, think you may be pregnant, or are trying to get pregnant.
Similarly, you should inform your doctor if you are currently breastfeeding before you start to take Minocin MR.
If you are currently pregnant or breastfeeding and suffer from acne, your doctor will be able to recommend a suitable treatment for you.
Learn more about taking Minocin MR during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
This medication contains the active ingredient minocycline hydrochloride.
It also contains the following inactive ingredients: titanium dioxide (E171), iron oxide yellow (E172), iron oxide red (E172), gelatin, microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose phthalate 50, hypromellose (E464) and light liquid paraffin
Written by: Hussain Abdeh MPharm: 2211840
Published on: 12/10/2020
Updated on: 21/05/2021
This content has been written by our Superintendent Pharmacist Hussain Abdeh and has been medically reviewed by our Pharmacist Sonia Khan
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.