- Applied as a topical gel
- Used to treat mild - moderate acne
- Contains the retinoid Tretinoin
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
Treclin Gel for the treatment of Acne
There is no quick fix when it comes to treating acne, it can have a huge impact on self-confidence, quality of life and has also been linked to depression. Fortunately, Acne can be treated with Treclin Gel, which contains a combination of the powerful Retinoin (Tretinoin) and the antibiotic (Clindamycin).
What is Treclin gel?
It is a topical medicine which contains two active substances: tretinoin and the antibiotic clindamycin. These ingredients are combined to provide a comprehensive treatment for acne.
You can only buy Treclin gel when it has been prescribed by a doctor for you.
What is Treclin gel used to treat?
A topical gel, Treclin can be used to treat moderate cases of acne by preventing the growth of bacteria.
It is applied once daily before going to bed and will normally start to improve your acne after a few weeks. However, it can take up to 12 weeks for some people to notice the full benefits of this medicine. It is important you are consistent with your applications of the gel.
What causes acne?
Acne is a very common skin condition, particularly in teenagers and young adults, although it can occur at any age. About 95% of people aged 11 to 30 have acne to some degree.
It can be caused by a number of reasons, but it is most commonly a result of a change in hormone levels. This change causes the glands next to the hair follicles to produce a higher amount of sebum (oil) than usual, which changes the activity of bacterium that would normally be harmless to cause inflammation. This creates spots.
How does Treclin treat acne?
Treclin contains two active ingredients: clindamycin and tretinoin. Clindamycin is an antibiotic that works to kill the bacteria that live on the skin and cause acne.
At the same time, tretinoin is able to reduce the skin cells' ability to stick together. This makes it easier for you to shed dead skin cells, which stops them from blocking your pores and follicles.
How long does it take for Treclin gel to work?
It will normally take several weeks before Treclin reaches its optimum effect. This may take up to 12 weeks for some people. Talk to your doctor if you have used Treclin for 12 weeks and your acne has not gone away, or if it has become worse.
Does Treclin Gel help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles?
Retinoids have long been studied when it comes to slowing down the appearance of wrinkles and the natural ageing process. Tretinoin, the active ingredient within Treclin Gel, is the retinoid that has been studied the most.
A clinical study identified Retinoins in particular Tretinoin as the most promising ingredients available for the treatment of wrinkles and other effects of ageing on the skin.
Who can use Treclin gel?
Treclin gel is an effective acne treatment, but it may not be suitable for you to use.
Do not use Treclin without speaking to your doctor if you suffer from any of the following:
- You are allergic to lincomycin
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients contained in Treclin
- You are suffering from acute eczema
- You have a history of colitis when using other antibiotics
- You have a chronic inflammatory bowel disease, such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis
- You or a member of your family has ever had skin cancer
- You are suffering from rosacea
- You are suffering from other acute inflammatory conditions of the skin
- You have any special type of acne vulgaris
Always read the patient information leaflet thoroughly for a comprehensive list of reasons why Treclin might not be a suitable treatment for you to use.
Can you buy Treclin gel over the counter?
No, you cannot buy Treclin gel unless it has been prescribed for you by a doctor.
Can you buy Treclin gel online in the UK?
Treclin gel is only available on prescription, but you can buy it online from regulated pharmacies like Medicine Direct by completing an online consultation. This involves filling out a questionnaire for a certified doctor, pharmacist or prescriber to review, who will assess your condition to make sure Treclin is an appropriate treatment.
If Treclin gel is not suitable for you, do not worry, a large number of acne treatments are available.
Topical gels like Duac and Acnecide can also be ordered from Medicine Direct after an online consultation with a registered prescriber.
We also stock prescription oral medicines like Erythromycin.
Treclin Gel Dosage and Directions
Out pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Treclin Gel.
Always use Treclin gel exactly as instructed by your doctor. Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly before you apply Treclin gel; speak to your doctor if you are unsure of how to apply it.
How to use Treclin gel
The recommended dose of Treclin is a pea-sized amount of gel, which should be applied once a day at bedtime.
- Wash your face using a mild soap and warm water, then pat your skin dry with a towel.
- Squeeze a pea-sized amount of gel onto your fingertip.
- Dab the gel onto your forehead, nose, chin and both cheeks, then spread it over your whole face. Make sure the face is evenly covered with it.
Always follow your doctor’s instructions when using a prescription medicine. Full instructions can be found in the patient information leaflet, which will come with the gel.
How long will I need to use Treclin Gel for?
Most people will notice a sizeable improvement in their acne after they have been using Treclin for between 4 and 12 weeks. Do not stop using the treatment before your doctor tells you to, this could affect the results and hinder the medicine's effectiveness.
Treclin Gel FAQ's
How long does Treclin take to work for acne?
Does Treclin gel make your skin sensitive to sunlight?
How long can you use Treclin gel for?
Does Treclin make your skin peel?
Is Treclin a retinoid?
Does Treclin gel work for acne scars?
Can I use Treclin gel if I’m pregnant?
What if Treclin does not help my acne?
What should I do if I experience side effects?
When should I apply Treclin?
Will my acne return if I stop using Treclin?
Will treclin gel make my acne worse?
What is Tretinoin purge?
Can I use Treclin Gel with other acne treatments?
Treclin Gel side effects
Like all medicines, Treclin gel comes with the risk of certain side effects, although not everyone who uses it will suffer from them.
Common side effects:
- Acne, dry skin, redness of the skin, increased sebum production, photosensitivity reaction, itching, rash, scaly rash, scaling of the skin, sunburn
- Burning, inflamed skin, dryness, redness of the skin on the area(s) you have applied Treclin gel
If any of these symptoms persist or concern you, you should speak to your doctor.
Stop using Treclin and either call 999 or go to A&E straight away if you suffer from any of these symptoms:
- You are wheezing
- You get a skin rash that is red, swollen, itchy, blistered, or peeling skin
- You have swelling in your face, mouth, lips, throat, or tongue
- You are finding it difficult to breathe or speak
- You have tightness in your throat or chest
Always read the medicine's patient information leaflet before you start to apply Treclin. The above lists may not be exhaustive.
Treclin Gel Warnings and drug interactions
Treclin gel may interact with other medicines.
Always make sure that your doctor is aware if you are currently taking any other medicines. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medications, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements.
In particular, make sure they are aware if you are currently taking any of the following medicines:
- Any medicines that contain sulphur, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide or resorcinol or any chemical abrasives
- While using Treclin, you should not use any medicated soaps cleansers or scrubbing solutions with strong drying effects
Can I use Treclin Gel during Pregnancy?
Treclin gel is not recommended for use by women who are pregnant. Inform your doctor if you are currently pregnant, think you may be pregnant, or are trying to get pregnant.
You should also tell your doctor if you are currently breastfeeding.
Treclin Gel Ingredients
The main active ingredients within this medicine are: Tretinoin and Clindamycin phosphate
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
How much does it cost to buy Treclin Gel in the UK?
|Treclin 1%/0.025% w/w gel||1 x 30g Tube||£29.99|
Published on: 12/10/2020
Updated on: 04/01/2022
This content has been written by our Superintendent Pharmacist Hussain Abdeh and has been medically reviewed by our Pharmacist Sonia Khan
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.