- Effective topical cream for treating erectile dysfunction
- Takes effect in up to 30 minutes
- Lasting results between 1 and 2 hours
Please note brand received may vary
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Vitaros?
Vitaros cream is a topical treatment that is used by men over the age of 18 for erectile dysfunction (ED).
It is a prescription-only medicine (POM). You can buy Vitaros cream from Medicine Direct by completing a simple and confidential online consultation with one of our registered prescribers. They will review your answers and provide you with a prescription to order this treatment from our online pharmacy if they deem it safe for you to use.
What are the key benefits of Vitaros?
Vitaros cream is an effective topical medicine for erectile dysfunction (ED) .
Research has revealed that 52% of men who used Vitaros cream reported having better erections than those who used a placebo cream. This evidence was found during a 12-week study of 1,732 men.
A nine-month study of 1,161 men revealed that 80% of participants reported an improved vaginal penetration. Furthermore, 61% said that Vitaros cream helped them to achieve a long-lasting erection, allowing them to complete sex up until the point of ejaculation.
How does Vitaros work?
Vitaros cream contains the active ingredient alprostadil, which works on the erectile tissue of the penis. It causes the blood vessels in the erectile tissue of the penis to dilate, giving you an erection.
It will take between 5 and 30 minutes for Vitaros to work. Once you have applied the cream, an erection will normally last for between one and two hours, although the duration varies in each case.
Is Vitaros suitable for me?
Vitaros is not a suitable treatment for everyone to use. This erectile dysfunction treatment must not be used by women or males who are under the age of 18.
Do not use Vitaros cream if any of the following apply to you:
- You are allergic to alprostadil or any of the other ingredients contained in this medicine (please refer to the Ingredients tab for full details)
- You have any condition that may cause a long-lasting erection or a condition like sickle cell anaemia or trait, leukaemia, polycythemia, thrombocythemia or multiple myeloma
- You have an abnormally formed penis
- You have any underlying conditions, such as a fall in blood pressure which occurs when you stand after lying/sitting down, syncope or have had a heart attack.
- You have an infection or inflammation of the penis
- You have been told not to have sex for health reasons, such as having suffered a stroke or heart problems
- You are prone to venous thrombosis
- You have a hyperviscosity syndrome that may result in a long-lasting erection
- Your partner is pregnant or breastfeeding, or could be at risk of getting pregnant if you don't use a condom
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using Vitaros if you have a history of any of the local effects listed below, which have been observed with the use of Vitaros:
- Symptomatic hypotension (dizziness)
- Hepatic and/or renal insufficiency
- Prolonged erections (lasting for longer than 4 hours)
If you are not sure if Vitaros is suitable for you, please speak to your doctor or pharmacist. Further information can be found in the patient information leaflet.
Possible side effects
Like all medicine, Vitaros cream can cause side effects, although not everyone gets them.
Seek medical attention straight away if you get an erection that lasts for longer than 4 hours. Your dose may be reduced, or you may be advised to stop using the treatment.
Common side effects of this medicine that may affect you include:
- Genital pruritus
- Mild to moderate local aching, burning or pain and redness of the penis
- Penile oedema
- Penile burning, tingling or throbbing numbness
- Inflammation of the glans penis
A common side effect that may affect your partner is:
- Vaginitis, mild vaginal burning or itching
Please note, this list is not exhaustive. Please see the Side Effects tab for more information.
Vitaros Cream Dosage and Directions
How to use Vitaros
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE prescribing guidelines when prescribing Vitaros Cream.
Always use Vitaros cream exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Read the patient information leaflet and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure.
The recommended dose is one applicator full of cream, providing 300mcg of the alprostadil.
Use Vitaros cream as and when required to achieve an erection. Do not use it more than once in 24 hours and no more than 2-3 times a week.
Your doctor or pharmacist will recommend the dose you should use. Do not adjust the dose yourself.
Each AccuDose container is for single use only and should be safely discarded after use.
You are advised to urinate before applying the cream.
It will take between 5 and 30 minutes for Vitaros to take effect. Therefore, you should apply it to the tip of the penis between 5 and 30 minutes before attempting to have sexual intercourse. It will last for approximately 1 to 2 hours.
- Wash your hands before you apply this cream.
- Remove the AccuDose container from its sachet by tearing down seal from the middle to the top edge. Do not throw away the sachet yet, you will need it for disposing of the AccuDose container later.
- Roll the AccuDose container to room temperature by rubbing it between your hands.
- Twist the plunger several times to ensure it will glide easily. Remove the cap from the tip of the container.
- Hold the tip of the penis in an upright position with one hand and gently squeeze it to widen the opening at the tip. (If you have not been circumcised, retract the foreskin and hold it back before widening the opening of the penis).
- Place the tip of the AccuDose container as close as possible to the opening of the penis. Do not insert it into the penis. Slowly but firmly, push down on the plunger until all of the cream has been emptied from the container into the opening of the penis down the urethra.
- Hold the penis upright for approximately 30 seconds to allow the cream to travel down the urethra. It is probable that some cream will not initially fit into the opening at the tip of the penis. If this happens, use your finger tip to gently move any cream covering the opening of the penis into the opening.
- Dot urinate straight after applying Vitaros. This may make the medicine less effective. Do not use a second AccuDose container to make up for any cream that was not inserted into the opening of the penis.
- Replace the cap on the container and place it back into the sachet. Dispose of this used container in accordance with local requirements.
- Wash your hands again after applying Vitaros as this medicine can be irritating to the eyes.
What if I use too much?
There have been no reports of anyone needing treatment for using Vitaros excessively. However, if you apply more than you should have, you may experience a drop in blood pressure, dizziness, fainting, pain in the penis that does not go away, prolonged or painful erections. If you experience any of these reactions from using too much Vitaros, speak to your doctor as soon as possible.
What is the difference between Vitaros Cream and other ED oral treatments?
Can I use Vitaros Cream every day?
Can I drink when using Vitaros Cream?
How should Vitaros be stored?
How long does it take to work?
Does it protect against STIs?
Vitaros Cream Side Effects
Uncommon side effects of Vitaros that may affect you include:
- Genital rash
- Scrotal pain
- Urinary tract inflammation
- Prolonged erection (lasting longer than 4 hours)
- Fullness in genital
- Lack of sensation in the penis
- Pain at the site of application or in extremity
- Penile itching
- Urethral stenosis
- Rapid pulse or low blood pressure
- Increased sensitivity
Your partner may experience the following uncommon side effects:
- Vulvovaginal pruritus
Serious allergic reaction
In rare cases, it is possible to suffer a serious allergic reaction to Vitaros. You should call 999 or go to A&E straight away if you get any of the symptoms listed below:
- You get a skin rash that may include red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- You have swelling in your face, mouth, lips, tongue or throat
- You have tightness in your chest or throat
- You are wheezing
- You are finding it difficult to breathe or speak
You may be having a serious allergic reaction and require immediate treatment in hospital.
Please refer to the patient information leaflet for comprehensive details on side effects. If you have any questions about side effects or how to deal with them, please talk to your doctor or pharmacist before you start using this treatment.
Vitaros Cream Warnings
Cautions with other medicines
Before you start to use Vitaros cream, please ensure you tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are already using any other medicine. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medication, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements.
Do not combine other treatments for erectile dysfunction (ED) with Vitaros.
Although it has not been proven, Vitaros may be less effective when combined with the following medicines:
- Medication for high blood pressure
- Appetite suppressants
When taken in combination with high blood pressure medication, Vitaros may increase the symptoms of fainting and dizziness, particularly in elderly patients.
Do not use Vitaros if you are also taking any medication to prevent blood clots. This may increase your risk of bleeding or blood in your urine.
For more information on medicines that interact with Vitaros Cream.
Vitaros has not been tested for use with smooth muscle relaxants or penile implants. Talk to your doctor if you use either of these.
You should still use a condom alongside Vitaros in the following circumstances:
- During anal and oral sex
- To prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Your partner is pregnant or breastfeeding
- Your partner could become pregnant
It is unknown whether Vitaros has an effect on male fertility.
Your erection may be reduced if you are suffering from anxiety, tension, fatigue or have drunk too much alcohol.
Urinating straight after applying this medicine may mean that Vitaros does not take effect.
You may be able to enhance your erections by:
- Getting enough rest
- Engaging in sexual foreplay with your partner or self-stimulation after applying Vitaros
- Doing pelvic exercises
- Having sex in positions that will not restrict blood flow to the penis
Driving and using machines
Vitaros may make you feel dizzy or light-headed. If you experience these side effects, you should not drive, ride a bike or operate any machinery until these symptoms have subsided.
If you continue to feel dizzy or light-headed, speak to your doctor or pharmacist about it.
Always read the patient information leaflet for full details on warnings and drug interactions. This leaflet will accompany your order. If you have any questions or concerns at all, please do not hesitate to ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Vitaros Cream Ingredients
Vitaros cream contains the active ingredient alprostadil.
It also contains the following ingredients: purified water; ethanol, anhydrous; ethyl laurate; hydroxypropyl guar gum; dodecyl-2-N,N-dimethylaminopropionate hydrochloride; potassium dihydrogen phosphate; sodium hydroxide, for pH adjustment; phosphoric acid, for pH adjustment.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.