- Effective topical cream for treating erectile dysfunction
- Takes effect in up to 30 minutes
- Lasting results between 1 and 2 hours
Please note brand received may vary
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Vitaros cream?
Vitaros cream is a topical treatment that is used by men over the age of 18 for erectile dysfunction (ED).
It makes for a convenient and discreet solution for men who have trouble swallowing tablets like Viagra. This cream can help a man to gain an erection in as little time as five minutes after application.
You must have a prescription to buy Vitaros cream.
What is Vitaros used to treat?
Vitaros cream is an effective topical medicine for erectile dysfunction (ED).
Research has revealed that 52% of men who used Vitaros cream reported having better erections than those who used a placebo cream. This evidence was found during a 12-week study of 1,732 men.
A nine-month study of 1,161 men revealed that many of the participants reported an improved vaginal penetration after using Vitaros.
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is when a man cannot gain or maintain an erection on a regular basis. Most men will experience difficulty in gaining or maintaining an erection from time to time; this can be caused by a number of factors, such as stress, anxiety or having consumed too much alcohol. However, if this issue occurs regularly, you may be suffering from ED and require medical treatment.
How does Vitaros work?
Vitaros cream contains the active ingredient alprostadil, which works on the erectile tissue of the penis. It causes the blood vessels in the erectile tissue of the penis to dilate, which makes it easier to gain an erection.
It will take between 5 and 30 minutes for Vitaros to work. Once you have applied the cream, an erection will normally last for between one and two hours, although the duration varies in each case.
How to use Vitaros
Vitaros cream can be used up to three times a week. Do not apply the cream more than once in a 24 hour period.
You should urinate before you apply the cream. Apply the cream between five and 30 minutes before you have sexual intercourse.
- Wash your hands before you apply the cream.
- Remove the AccuDose container from the sachet and save the sachet for discarding the container.
- Roll the container between your hands to bring the cream up to room temperature.
- Twist the plunger until it glides with ease, before removing the cap from the container.
- Grasping the tip of your penis, hold it in an upright position and gently squeeze it to widen the opening.
- Position the tip of the container as close to the opening of the penis as possible. Push down on the plunger until all of the cream has been inserted into the opening of the penis. Do not insert the container into the penis.
- Continue to hold the penis upright for 30 seconds so the cream can travel down the urethra properly. Gently move any excess cream to the opening of the penis.
- Wash your hands again after you have applied the cream.
Please note that you should wear a condom if your partner is pregnant or breastfeeding.
Always use Vitaros in the dose your doctor has prescribed. Read the patient information leaflet, which will accompany the cream, for a comprehensive list of instructions.
Vitaros Cream common side effects
Like all medicine, Vitaros cream can cause side effects, although not everyone gets them.
Seek medical attention straight away if you get an erection that lasts for longer than 4 hours. Your dose may be reduced, or you may be advised to stop using the treatment.
Common side effects of this medicine that may affect you include:
- Genital pruritus
- Mild to moderate local aching, burning or pain and redness of the penis
- Penile oedema
- Penile burning, tingling or throbbing numbness
- Inflammation of the glans penis
Please note, this list is not exhaustive. Please see the Side Effects tab for more information.
Who can use Vitaros cream?
Vitaros is not a suitable treatment for everyone to use. This erectile dysfunction treatment must not be used by women or males who are under the age of 18.
Do not use Vitaros cream if any of the following apply to you:
- You are allergic to alprostadil or any of the other ingredients contained in this medicine
- You have any condition that may cause a long-lasting erection, or a condition like sickle cell anaemia or trait, leukaemia, polycythemia, thrombocythemia or multiple myeloma
- You have an abnormally formed penis
- You have any underlying conditions, such as a fall in blood pressure which occurs when you stand after lying/sitting down
- You have an infection or inflammation of the penis
- You have been told not to have sex for health reasons, such as having suffered a stroke or heart problems
- You are prone to venous thrombosis
- You have hyperviscosity syndrome that may result in a long-lasting erection
- Your partner is pregnant or breastfeeding, or could be at risk of getting pregnant if you don't use a condom
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using Vitaros if you have a history of any of the local effects listed below, which have been observed with the use of Vitaros:
- Symptomatic hypotension (dizziness)
- Hepatic and/or renal insufficiency
- Prolonged erections (lasting for longer than 4 hours)
If you are not sure if Vitaros is suitable for you, please speak to your doctor or pharmacist. Further information can be found in the patient information leaflet.
Can you buy Vitaros over the counter?
You cannot buy Vitaros cream over the counter. Your doctor must prescribe this medication for you.
Can you buy Vitaros online in the UK?
Yes, you can buy Vitaros cream online from pharmacies like Medicine Direct. All you need to do is fill out a confidential online questionnaire on our website. One of our doctors, pharmacists or prescribers will review your answers and assess your condition to make sure that Vitaros cream is suitable for you to use.
To make sure you only buy genuine medication, you should never buy any kind of medicine online unless it is from a fully regulated UK pharmacy, like Medicine Direct. We are able to guarantee all who order with us that they are in the safe hands of certified medical professionals. Full details on the authorities we are regulated by can be found on the About Us page.
We also stock a range of oral medicines which have been clinically proven to treat erectile dysfunction.
Viagra is the most famous erectile dysfunction treatment in the world. It is a prescription-only treatment, but can be bought from Medicine Direct after an online consultation.
Cialis is one of the most renowned medications for men who find it difficult to gain erections. Once taken, the effects of this medicine last for up to 36 hours. Spedra tablets are also available, which work in the same way as Viagra and Cialis and are available in various doses.
These medicines work by widening the blood vessels in the penis to allow better blood flow. This helps you to gain and maintain an erection long enough to complete sexual intercourse.
Vitaros Cream Dosage and Directions
How to use Vitaros
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE prescribing guidelines when prescribing Vitaros Cream.
Always use Vitaros cream exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Read the patient information leaflet and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure.
The recommended dose is one applicator full of cream, providing 300mcg of the alprostadil.
Use Vitaros cream as and when required to achieve an erection. Do not use it more than once in 24 hours and no more than 2-3 times a week.
What if I use too much?
There have been no reports of anyone needing treatment for using Vitaros excessively. However, if you apply more than you should have, you may experience a drop in blood pressure, dizziness, fainting, pain in the penis that does not go away, prolonged or painful erections. If you experience any of these reactions from using too much Vitaros, speak to your doctor as soon as possible.
Can I get Vitaros cream on the NHS?
How long will my erection last?
Can I do anything to help my erectile dysfunction?
How effective is Vitaros?
How long does Vitaros Cream take to work?
Should I wear a condom when using Vitaros Cream?
How often can I use Vitaros cream?
What is the price of Vitaros Cream in the UK?
Vitaros Cream Side Effects
Uncommon side effects of Vitaros that may affect you include:
- Genital rash
- Scrotal pain
- Urinary tract inflammation
- Prolonged erection (lasting longer than 4 hours)
- Fullness in genital
- Lack of sensation in the penis
- Pain at the site of application or in extremity
- Penile itching
- Urethral stenosis
- Rapid pulse or low blood pressure
- Increased sensitivity
Your partner may experience the following uncommon side effects:
- Vulvovaginal pruritus
Serious allergic reaction
In rare cases, it is possible to suffer a serious allergic reaction to Vitaros. You should call 999 or go to A&E straight away if you get any of the symptoms listed below:
- You get a skin rash that may include red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- You have swelling in your face, mouth, lips, tongue or throat
- You have tightness in your chest or throat
- You are wheezing
- You are finding it difficult to breathe or speak
You may be having a serious allergic reaction and require immediate treatment in hospital.
Please refer to the patient information leaflet for comprehensive details on side effects. If you have any questions about side effects or how to deal with them, please talk to your doctor or pharmacist before you start using this treatment.
Vitaros Cream Warnings
Cautions with other medicines
Before you start to use Vitaros cream, please ensure you tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are already using any other medicine. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medication, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements.
Do not combine other treatments for erectile dysfunction (ED) with Vitaros.
Although it has not been proven, Vitaros may be less effective when combined with the following medicines:
- Medication for high blood pressure
- Appetite suppressants
When taken in combination with high blood pressure medication, Vitaros may increase the symptoms of fainting and dizziness, particularly in elderly patients.
Do not use Vitaros if you are also taking any medication to prevent blood clots. This may increase your risk of bleeding or blood in your urine.
For more information on medicines that interact with Vitaros Cream.
Vitaros has not been tested for use with smooth muscle relaxants or penile implants. Talk to your doctor if you use either of these.
You should still use a condom alongside Vitaros in the following circumstances:
- During anal and oral sex
- To prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Your partner is pregnant or breastfeeding
- Your partner could become pregnant
It is unknown whether Vitaros has an effect on male fertility.
Your erection may be reduced if you are suffering from anxiety, tension, fatigue or have drunk too much alcohol.
Urinating straight after applying this medicine may mean that Vitaros does not take effect.
You may be able to enhance your erections by:
- Getting enough rest
- Engaging in sexual foreplay with your partner or self-stimulation after applying Vitaros
- Doing pelvic exercises
- Having sex in positions that will not restrict blood flow to the penis
Vitaros Cream Ingredients
The main active ingredient within this medicine is: Alprostadil
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.