- Reduces the symptoms of Menopause
- Available in 1mg and 2mg tablets
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Elleste Duet?
It is a combined sequential HRT treatment, containing both an oestrogen (estradiol) and a progestogen (norethisterone). This makes it a suitable HRT medication for women who may still be having periods and who still have a uterus.
You need a prescription to buy Elleste Duet tablets.
What is Elleste Duet used to treat?
Elleste Duet tablets are taken to reduce menopause symptoms. As a woman begins her menopause, the levels of oestrogen in her body gradually begin to drop. This results in a number of different symptoms that can affect each woman differently, including:
- Hot flushes
- Sleeping problems
- Vaginal dryness
- Decreased libido
- Night sweats
- Mood swings
Elleste Duet works to top up your oestrogen levels, which helps to alleviate these symptoms.
Additionally, Elleste Duet is also prescribed for women who have been through menopause to prevent osteoporosis from occurring. This condition is a significant risk to some women after menopause.
Why is Elleste Duet recommended to treat menopause symptoms?
Clinical studies show that combined HRT is effective at controlling menopause symptoms.
Another study showed that estradiol can aid skeletal muscle function during menopause.
How does Elleste Duet work?
Elleste Duet contains estradiol, which is a synthetic form of oestrogen. It works by supplementing the hormones your body loses during menopause, which helps to reduce the symptoms you can experience.
Elleste Duet is supplied in blister strips of 28 or 84 tablets. The first 16 tablets in the strip only contain estradiol, but the remaining 12 also contain norethisterone, which is a progestogen.
If you still have a uterus, using an oestrogen-only medicine will cause excessive growth of the uterus lining (endometrium), which can seriously increase the risk of endometrial cancer and other health problems. Using a progestogen alongside an oestrogen can reduce this risk and also regulate periods.
Who can take Elleste Duet?
Do not take Elleste Duet if:
- You are allergic to estradiol hemihydrate, norethisterone acetate or any other ingredients contained in the tablets
- You have porphyria
- You have or have ever had a liver disease and your liver function tests have not gone back to normal
- You have unexplained vaginal bleeding
- You have an oestrogen-sensitive cancer
- You have ever had breast cancer, or you may have it
- You have untreated endometrial hyperplasia
- You have ever had a blood clot in your lungs or in a vein
- You suffer from a blood clotting disorder
- You have had a disease caused by artery blood clots like a heart attack, stroke or angina
This list is not exhaustive. You should always make sure you read the patient information leaflet before you start taking Elleste Duet. Here, you will find comprehensive details on the reasons why this HRT medication may be unsuitable for you.
Can you buy Elleste Duet over the counter?
No, you must have a prescription to be able to buy Elleste Duet. It cannot be purchased over the counter.
Can you buy Elleste Duet online in the UK?
Regulated online pharmacies like Medicine Direct will normally stock Elleste Duet. As this is a prescription-strength medication, you must first fill out an online questionnaire before you can complete the purchase. All you need to do is answer a few questions about your medical history and condition for one of our prescribers to ensure Elleste Duet is suitable for you.
Medicine Direct is fully regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) and other necessary medical authorities. This guarantees we only sell approved and genuine medication from our website.
Elleste Duet Alternatives
Elleste Solo is also available from Medicine Direct. This is an oestrogen-only HRT, meaning you will also need to be prescribed a progestogen medicine as well to prevent abnormal growth of the womb lining.
Other types of HRT tablets available include:
Elleste Duet Indications and Dosage
Always take Elleste Duet as your doctor has instructed you. Further instructions can be found in the patient information leaflet, which you should read before you start taking it. Ask your doctor if you are still not sure.
Your doctor will prescribe you the lowest dose for the shortest time. Do not adjust the dose they have prescribed, but tell them if you think it is too strong or weak.
Elleste Duet comes in either 1mg or 2mg doses.
A pack of 1mg tablets contains:
- 16 white tablets containing 1mg estradiol
- 12 green tablets containing 1mg estradiol and 1mg norethisterone
A pack of 2mg tablets contains:
- 16 orange tablets containing 2mg estradiol
- 12 grey tablets containing 2mg estradiol and 1mg norethisterone
If you are taking the 1mg version of Elleste Duet, you should start with the white tablets.
If you are taking the 2mg version, start with the orange tablets.
How to take Elleste Duet
- Take one tablet a day.
- You can take Elleste Duet at the most convenient time of day for you, but you should take the tablet at the same time every day.
- Swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water. Do not crush, suck or chew the tablet.
- Follow the direction of the arrows on the blister pack, taking one tablet each day until you have completed the pack.
- Begin the next strip the day after you finish the previous one.
- If you are no longer having regular periods, you can begin taking Elleste Duet immediately.
- If you still have periods, start taking this medicine on the first day of bleeding.
It is likely you will have a monthly bleed while taking Elleste Duet, which may start any time between day 21 of the first pack to day 5 of the second. These will normally be the same each month. Not all women have bleeds.
Irregular bleeds are common during the first few months of treatment, but tell your doctor if this continues.
Elleste Duet Side Effects
The most common side effects of taking this medication are painful periods, tender or painful breasts, headaches, menstrual issues.
Common side effects
The common side effects may occur in up to 1 in 10 people who use Elleste Duet
- Mood swings
- Sex drive changes
- Stomach cramps
- Back pain
- Breast enlargement
- Vaginal infection
- Breakthrough bleeding
- Ankles, fingers or feet swelling
- Weight gain
- Excessive thickening of the womb lining
- Womb contractions
- Vaginal discharge
Speak to your doctor if any of these side effects bother you or do not go away.
Serious side effects
Stop using Elleste Duet and seek medical attention straight away if you get any of the below:
- A large rise in blood pressure
- Your skin or whites of your eyes turn yellow
- You have any breathing problems
- You have sudden chest pain
- You get a migraine-like headache that has not occurred before
- You have swelling or redness in your legs that is painful
This list is not exhaustive. For information on rarer side effects, consult the patient information leaflet.
Elleste Duet Warnings
Women who take HRT medicines like Elleste Duet are more likely to report the following health conditions:
- Heart disease
- Blood clots in the lungs or leg veins
- Breast cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Endometrial hyperplasia or cancer
- Probable memory loss if HRT treatment starts over the age of 65
It is important that you go for smear tests and breast screenings regularly while using HRT. Check your breasts regularly for any irregularities, such as lumps, changes to the nipples or skin dimpling.
Hormone replacement therapy medicines like Elleste Duet will not stop you from getting pregnant. If it has been less than 12 months since your last period, or if you are under 50, you might still require contraception. Your doctor can advise you on this.
Elleste Duet can alter some laboratory tests. Tell your doctor that you are taking this medicine if you need to have any tests.
If you need to have an operation, you may need to stop taking this medicine a few weeks beforehand. This will lessen the risk you will suffer blood clots. Tell the surgeon or doctor that you are taking Elleste Duet.
Drug interactions with Elleste Duet
Inform your doctor of any other medication you are already taking, including non-prescription medicines.
The following medicines may interact with Elleste Duet, which can result in irregular bleeding:
- Medicines for HIV
- Medicines for tuberculosis
- Medicines for epilepsy
- Herbal remedies that contain St John’s Wort
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
This medicine must not be taken if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Tell your doctor immediately if you become pregnant while using HRT.
Always read the patient information leaflet for a complete list of warnings.
Elleste Duet Ingredients
Elleste Duet 1mg contains the following active ingredients:
- White tablets: 1mg estradiol (as hemihydrate)
- Green tablets: 1mg estradiol (as hemihydrate) and 1mg norethisterone acetate
Elleste Duet 2mg tablets contain the following active ingredients:
- Orange tablets: 2mg estradiol (as hemihydrate)
- Grey tablets: 2mg estradiol (as hemihydrate) and 1mg norethisterone acetate
A full list of the inactive substances contained in each tablet can be seen in the patient information leaflet.
What kind of HRT is Elleste Duet?Elleste Duet is classed as a sequential combined HRT medication. This means it contains a combination of oestrogen and progestogen.
Can I put on weight while taking Elleste Duet?Weight gain is a common side effect while taking Elleste Duet, although it will not occur in all women. Many women gain weight during menopause even if they are not using HRT. Speak to your doctor if you find that you gain weight during treatment.
How long will it take to work?HRT treatments normally take a few weeks before the user starts to feel the effects. It can take up to three months before the full benefits are experienced.
Can taking Elleste Duet reduce signs of ageing?Using an HRT medication like Elleste Duet can help with reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines on the skin. Also, it can promote hair growth. All of these factors can make for a more youthful appearance. However, it should not be used for anti-ageing purposes.
Can taking HRT make me happier?Using HRT can improve your mood. Menopause can cause mood swings, depression and anxiety, so restoring your oestrogen levels can help to combat these negative emotions. If you suffered from depression before starting HRT, tell your doctor.
Will it help me to sleep?Taking Elleste Duet can help you to get a better night’s sleep as it reduces the symptoms of menopause, which can include insomnia or other sleeping difficulties.
What time of day should I take Elleste Duet tablets?You can take Elleste Duet at the most convenient time of day for you. However, you should take the tablet around the same time each day.
Can HRT help you to lose belly fat?Taking HRT has been shown to decrease abdominal fat in some women, although Elleste Duet can also cause weight gain in some cases.
How good is Elleste Duet?Elleste Duet is considered to be a safe and highly effective HRT medication. As with any prescription medicine, you must speak to your doctor to make sure it is suitable for you to take, and you should always take it exactly as they instruct you.
Can taking Elleste Duet decrease joint pain?Yes, Elleste Duet is sometimes prescribed for osteoporosis as this medicine can also help to fight inflammation.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.