- Helps to relieve the symptoms of Menopause
- Replenishes the natural levels of Oestrogen
- Available in tablet form
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Zumenon?
Zumenon is a hormone replacement therapy (HRT) medicine, used by women to reduce symptoms during menopause.
It is an oestrogen-only HRT and can be taken by both menopausal and postmenopausal women who have undergone a hysterectomy. If your uterus is still intact, you will need to be prescribed a medicine that contains progesterone or be fitted with a coil.
You cannot buy Zumenon without a prescription.
What is Zumenon used to treat?
Zumenon contains a medicine called estradiol as its active ingredient. Estradiol is a synthetic form of oestrogen.
This medication is prescribed to ease the symptoms that a woman can experience when she goes through menopause. While this is a natural part of a woman’s ageing process, menopause can cause symptoms that are debilitating and frustrating to deal with.
Symptoms of menopause include:
- Vaginal dryness
- Hot flashes
- Sleeping problems
- Mood swings
- Night sweats
Taking an HRT medicine like Zumenon can help to relieve these symptoms, making menopause much easier to cope with.
Additionally, Zumenon is sometimes prescribed as a preventative measure against osteoporosis for women who are at an increased risk of fractures. This is normally when other medicines are not found to be suitable.
How does Zumenon work?
The symptoms of menopause are largely due to the levels of oestrogen gradually dropping in a woman’s body. This is natural as women age but can lead to the unpleasant symptoms listed above.
The estradiol contained in Zumenon tablets works to increase the levels of oestrogen, which will work to relieve these symptoms and allow you to continue with life as normal. Estradiol mimics how oestrogen works in the body.
Taking Zumenon each day can help to control the symptoms of menopause.
Who can take Zumenon?
You should not take Zumenon if:
- You have unexplained vaginal bleeding
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients in this medicine
- You have ever had breast cancer, or there is a chance you may have it
- You have any cancer sensitive to oestrogens
- You have porphyria
- You have excessive thickening of the womb lining
- You have any blood clotting disorder
- You have recently had any disease caused by artery blood clots, such as a heart attack
- You have ever had a liver disease
Do not take Zumenon without speaking to your doctor if you suffer from any of the following:
- You are at an increased risk of blood clots
- You are at an increased risk of an oestrogen-sensitive cancer
- High levels of fat in your blood
- Migraines or severe headaches
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Any liver disorders
- High blood pressure
- Fluid retention from kidney or cardiac problems
This list is not exhaustive. Always read the patient information leaflet for full reasons why Zumenon may be unsuitable for you to take.
Can you buy Zumenon over the counter?
No, Zumenon is a prescription-only medicine (POM). You cannot purchase it unless a doctor has prescribed it for you.
Can you buy Zumenon online in the UK?
To buy Zumenon online from Medicine Direct, you will first need to fill out an online consultation form. This confidential form is to make sure that Zumenon is suitable for you. One of our registered prescribers will review your answers before your order is confirmed.
If you order by 2pm, next day delivery is available.
Medicine Direct is a fully regulated UK pharmacy. You should never order any type of medication online unless it is from a regulated pharmacy.
A number of HRT medications are available to buy from Medicine Direct.
There are different types of HRT, some of which may be more suitable for certain women than others. You should speak to your doctor about which type of HRT medicine would be best suited for your specific needs.
Alternative HRT medicines available from our online pharmacy include:
Zumenon Indications and Dose
Take Zumenon exactly as your doctor has instructed you. Read the patient information leaflet and speak to your doctor if you need further guidance.
Your doctor will always try to prescribe the lowest effective dose for the shortest time possible. If you believe your dose is too high or low, speak to your doctor.
If you still have periods, start to take Zumenon on the first day you have a bleed.
How to take Zumenon
Read the patient information leaflet before you start to take Zumenon tablets. Here, you will find complete instructions.
Zumenon can be taken with or without food.
- Take one tablet at the same time each day at the prescribed dose.
- Swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water.
- Each strip of Zumenon contains 28 tablets. Once you have finished one strip, start the next one the very next day.
- If you still have periods, start taking Zumenon on the first day you have a bleed.
- If you no longer have periods and are not taking any other HRT medicines, or if you are switching from another combined continuous HRT medicine, you can start taking Zumenon at any time.
- If you are already taking any cyclic or sequential HRT medicines, begin taking Zumenon the day after your current prescription is finished.
- Women who still have a uterus should take a progestogen for between 12 and 14 days of each month.
Zumenon Side Effects
Common side effects while taking Zumenon include:
- Leg cramping
- Abdominal pain
- Pelvic pain
- Changes in weight
- Rash or itching
- Abnormal bleeding or spotting
Serious side effects
If you get any of the following side effects, stop taking Zumenon and seek medical attention straight away:
- Heart attack
- Bleeding that is painful, irregular or heavy
- Skin swelling around your neck and face
This list is not exhaustive. Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive information on side effects.
If you need to have any surgery, you should tell the surgeon that you are taking Zumenon. They may tell you to stop taking it between 4 and 6 weeks before the operation. This will reduce the risk of blood clots.
Your doctor should also know you are taking Zumenon if you need to have a blood test. Zumenon can affect some test results.
Zumenon contains lactose. If your doctor has told you that you are intolerant to certain sugars, speak to them before you start taking it.
Zumenon and other medicines
Tell your doctor if you are already taking any other type of medicine before you start to take a new one. This includes medication that you can buy without a prescription.
It is particularly important they know if you are taking any of the following:
- Tacrolimus and cyclosporin
The medicines listed below may interact with Zumenon and cause irregular bleeding:
- Herbal remedies that contain St John’s Wort
- Medicines used to treat HIV
- Medicines used to treat tuberculosis
- Medicines used to treat epilepsy
Increased health risks
Women who take HRT more commonly report the following conditions compared to women not undergoing hormone replacement therapy:
- Ovarian cancer
- Breast cancer
- Endometrial hyperplasia or cancer
- Blood clots in the leg veins or lungs
- Heart disease
- Memory loss in women aged 65 and over
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Zumenon should only be used by peri and postmenopausal women. Stop taking this medication and speak to your doctor if you become pregnant.
Full details on warnings and drug interactions can be found in the patient information leaflet, which will accompany your medication.
Zumenon contains the active ingredient estradiol.
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics.
Are Zumenon and estradiol the same thing?Estradiol is the active ingredient contained in Zumenon tablets. Zumenon is a branded version of estradiol.
How do I stop taking Zumenon?Never suddenly stop taking Zumenon and do not stop taking it without speaking to your doctor first. Your doctor will advise you how long to take it for. If you wish to stop taking it, speak to them about how to safely come off this medicine.
Can Zumenon cause weight gain?Some women taking HRT have reported weight gain as a side effect. However, this connection has never been proven and menopause can often cause you to gain weight anyway. You can help to control this by eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly.
Can I take HRT for the rest of my life?Most women are advised to stop taking HRT once their menopause symptoms have gone away permanently. This is normally after a few years. However, you can stay on HRT for longer than this, but you should speak to your doctor about how long you should take it as it may be unsafe. Most experts do not advise taking HRT for more than five years.
Can estradiol help you to lose weight?There is some evidence to show that HRT can increase your resting metabolic rate, which means weight gain may be slowed down.
Will Zumenon help to make me look younger?Using HRT can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, making you look younger. HRT can also promote hair growth to aid in reducing the signs of ageing. It should not be taken as an anti-ageing medicine.
Can taking HRT make it easier to sleep?HRT can improve the quality of your sleep due to reducing the symptoms that can disrupt your rest, such as hot flushes or pain.
How long will I take Zumenon?Most experts say that HRT should not be used for more than five years. However, your doctor will advise you when it is time to stop taking Zumenon.
How long does Zumenon take to work?When you start taking HRT, you may not feel the benefits for the first few weeks. It can take up to three months before you feel the full benefits.
Can I drink alcohol with it?A link has been identified between drinking alcohol while using HRT and an increased risk of breast cancer. Speak to your doctor for more information.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.