- Widely prescribed contraceptive pill that protects against pregnancy
- Increases progesterone, which prevents the ovaries from releasing an egg
- Thickens the fluid in the cervix preventing sperm from entering
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Cerazette?
Cerazette is the brand name for a medicine called desogestrel, which is a progestin medicine used in birth control pills for women.
It is a progestogen-only pill, meaning it does not contain oestrogen. This type of contraception is often referred to as the ‘mini-pill’.
How effective is Cerazette at preventing pregnancy?
When taken properly, the progestogen only pill is more than 99% effective at preventing pregnancy.
How does Cerazette work?
The Cerazette contraceptive pill works by increasing the levels of progesterone in your body, which prevents an egg from being released from the ovaries. It thickens the fluid in the cervix, preventing sperm from entering the womb and fertilising any eggs that may have already been released, ensuring you are protected against pregnancy.
Additionally, it thins the lining of the womb, making it far less likely that a fertilised egg can grow there.
Cerazette will not aid in preventing you from catching sexually transmitted infections (STIs). To effectively prevent catching an STI, you should use a condom.
Who can take Cerazette?
Cerazette is not suitable for all women to use.
Do not use Cerazette without consulting your doctor first if any of the following conditions apply to you:
- You are allergic to desogestrel or any of the other ingredients listed in this medicine (see the Ingredients tab for full details)
- You have any unexplained vaginal bleeding
- You have or have ever had any form of thrombosis (blood clots)
- You currently have, or have ever had jaundice, severe liver disease, or your liver is not working properly
- You have, or are suspected of having cancer that can grow with sex-steroids, such as types of breast cancer
This list is not exhaustive. Read the patient information leaflet for a full list of warnings.
Buy Cerazette online in the UK
Cerazette is a prescription-only medicine (POM). You cannot buy it without a prescription and it is not available over the counter.
You can buy Cerazette from our online pharmacy following an online consultation with one of our doctors, who will prescribe this medicine if they believe it to be suitable for you.
How to take Cerazette
Each pack of Cerazette contains 28 white pills.
Take one pill each day at around the same time. When you finish taking the pills in one pack, start to use a new pack the very next day. Do not leave a gap between packs.
Swallow Cerazette pills whole with a drink of water. Do not crush or chew them.
Cerazette Side Effects
Rare side effects of Cerazette may include:
- Painful blue-red lumps on the skin
Serious allergic reaction
In rare cases, it is possible to suffer a serious allergic reaction to Cerazette. You may require immediate treatment in hospital.
Either call 999 or go to A&E straight away if any of the following reactions occur:
- You are wheezing
- You develop a skin rash that is red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- You have tightness in your chest or throat
- You are finding it hard to speak or breathe
- You have swelling in your face, lips, throat, tongue, or mouth
These lists may not be exhaustive; always refer to the patient information leaflet, which will come with your medicine, for full details.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Cerazette Warnings and drug interactions
The active ingredient within Cerazette, Desogestrel may interact with other medicines, which could hinder its effectiveness or increase your risk of side effects.
Before taking a new prescription drug, it is very important you tell your doctor if you are already taking, or have recently taken, any other form of medication. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medication, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Do not use Cerazette if you are currently pregnant, think you might be pregnant, or are trying to get pregnant.
Cerazette can be used if you are breastfeeding as it does not interfere with the production of breast milk. However, small amounts of the active ingredient will make its way into your milk.
No effects on growth or development of children who were breastfed while their mother took Cerazette have been found in research. Nonetheless, you should still inform your doctor if you wish to start using this contraceptive pill and are currently breastfeeding.
The main active ingredient within this medicine is: Desogestrel
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
Cerazette Pill Price
|Cerazette Contraceptive Pill||3 months||£18.99|
|Cerazette Contraceptive Pill||6 months||£28.99|
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.