- Combined contraceptive pill
- Colour coded pills
- 21-day course with a 7 day break
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Synphase?
Synphase is an oral contraceptive pill, which is commonly known as 'the pill'.
It is taken to prevent pregnancy in women. Synphase is what is called a combined pill because it contains two different hormones, a progestogen called norethisterone and an oestrogen hormone called ethinylestradiol.
When taken correctly the combined contraception pill is over 99% effective at preventing pregnancy.
How does Synphase work?
Synphase works to prevent pregnancy by preventing an egg from being released from the ovaries.
Synphase also thickens the fluid in the cervix, which makes it much harder for sperm to enter the uterus and fertilise an egg that may have already been released.
Additionally, Synphase will reduce the build-up of the endometrium (wall of the uterus), which normally happens during a menstrual cycle. By reducing this build-up, it is far less likely that any fertilised egg will be able to grow inside the womb. An added benefit of this medicine is that it will work to make your periods lighter.
Please remember, an oral contraceptive pill like Synphase will only work to prevent you from getting pregnant. It does not protect you from catching sexually transmitted infections (STIs). You will still need to use a condom for this kind of protection.
Who can take Synphase?
Synphase is not a suitable combined pill for everyone to take.
Do not use this medication if any of the following apply to you:
- You are allergic to norethisterone or ethinylestradiol, or any of the other ingredients this medication contains (please refer to the Ingredients tab for a full list)
- You have ever had a stroke, heart attack or have had angina
- You have any body fat disorders or high levels of fat in your blood
- You have ever had blood clots in the veins, lungs, legs, brain or any other part of your body
- You have a family history of clotting issues
- You have or have ever suffered with severe migraines
- You have or have ever had a severe chronic liver disease, such as liver tumours
- You have or have ever had breast cancer, cervical cancer, vaginal cancer or womb cancer
- You have or have ever had any unexplained vaginal bleeding
- You have hepatitis C and are using any medicines that contain ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir and/or dasabuvir
- You are pregnant or there is a chance you might be pregnant
- You suffered from jaundice or pruritus during a previous pregnancy
Can you buy Synphase over the counter?
Synphase can only be bought when you have been prescribed it by a doctor.
Buy Synphase online
You can buy Synphase online from Medicine Direct if you have already been prescribed it by a doctor. Just complete our confidential online questionnaire and one of our registered prescribers can issue a repeat prescription for you to order this contraceptive pill from our online pharmacy.
If you place your order with us by 2pm, we can have your medicine with you the next day.
It is important to ensure that you are buying medicine online from a UK fully regulated pharmacy such as Medicine Direct. To learn more about our company, team, medical professionals, and the licenses we hold, visit our about us page.
Alternatives to Synphase
Many different oral contraceptives are available to buy as an alternative to Synphase.
You can buy oral contraceptive pills online from Medicine Direct after an online consultation,we stock a number of alternatives to synphase.
Other contraceptive alternatives include:
- Male and female condoms
- The contraceptive patch
- Intrauterine device (IUD)
- The contraceptive injection
- The contraceptive implant
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist about suitable alternatives you could try.
For more information on different types of contraception that may be suitable for you, we recommend visiting the Contraception Choices website.
How do you take Synphase?
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Synphase.
To effectively prevent pregnancy, you must take Synphase tablets exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has instructed you. Please read the patient information leaflet thoroughly before you start taking it. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you are still unclear about anything.
Each pack of Synphase contains 21 tablets:
- Seven blue tablets
- Nine white tablets
- Five more blue tablets
Each colour contains a different dose of hormones. When taken in the correct order, they will mimic the natural rise and fall of your body's hormones during the menstrual cycle.
One tablet should be taken each day in the right order. Swallow the tablet whole with a drink of water. Do not crush or chew them.
You can take this medication with or without food. This pill can be taken at any time of day that is convenient for you. However, you must take it at the same time each day.
What if I miss a pill?
If you have missed one pill, take it as soon as you remember, then take your next pill at your usual time. This may mean that you need to take more than one pill in the same day.
If you are later than 12 hours in taking the pill, or you have missed more than one pill, you may not have full contraceptive protection. You should take the last pill you missed and carry on taking Synphase as usual. However, use an extra method of contraception, such as a condom, for the next seven days.
If you have fewer than seven tablets left in a pack after forgetting to take one, finish that blister pack then start the next one without your usual break. This may mean you do not get a period until you have finished two blister packs, but this will not do you any harm.
Synphase side effects
Like all medicines, Synphase can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses this combined pill will suffer from them.
Some research has suggested that taking the combined oral pill can increase your risk of developing blood clots and certain types of cancer. Please refer to the 'Warnings' tab for more information on this.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you suffer from any of the following side effects:
- High blood pressure
- Feeling sick
- Upset stomach
- Irregular bleeding from the vagina
- Swollen or sore breasts
- Appetite changes
- Changes in your sex drive
- Weight gain
- Changes in how your body breaks down sugars, fats or vitamins
- Womb disorders getting worse
- Please note, this list is not exhaustive. Please refer to the Side Effects tab for more information.
Before you start to use oral contraceptives like Synphase, you must inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are already taking any other medication. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medicine, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements.
It is particularly important that you tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any of the medicines listed below. They may stop this combined pill from working properly:
- Nevirapine, Ritonavir (to treat HIV and AIDS)
- Nelfinavir (to treat HIV)
- Primidone, Phenytoin, Oxacarbazepine, Carbamazepine, Topiramate (to treat epilepsy)
- Phenobarbital (to treat epilepsy, anxiety and sleeplessness)
- Griseofulvin (to treat fungal infections)
- The herbal remedy St. John's Wort (to treat depression)
- Rifampicin, Rifabutin (to treat bacterial infections)
- Modafinil (to treat narcolepsy)
For more information on medicines that interact with combined oral pills.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Do not use Synphase if you are currently pregnant, think you might be pregnant, are breastfeeding or are trying to get pregnant.
If you miss a period while taking this contraceptive pill, tell your doctor or pharmacist straight away. You will need to do a pregnancy test before you can carry on taking it.
Full details on who this medicine may not be suitable for can be found in the patient information leaflet, which will come with your medication. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any concerns.
The main active ingredients within this medicine are: Norethisterone and Ethinylestradiol
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
Synphase price (UK)
|Synphase Tablets||3 Months (63 Tablets)||£21.99|
|Synphase Tablets||6 Months (168 Tablets)||£31.99|
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.