- Combined contraceptive pill
- Taken every day
- Prevents pregnancy
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Femodene ED?
Femodene ED (Every Day) is a combined oral contraceptive pill used to prevent women from getting pregnant.
It contains two different types of synthetic female sex hormones, oestrogen (ethinylestradiol) and progestogen (gestodene).
This medication is taken every day without a break; women should take one 'active' pill for 21 days, followed by 7 days of taking an 'inactive' pill.
You must have a prescription to buy Femodene ED.
How does Femodene ED work?
Femodene ED contains two synthetic female sex hormones, oestrogen (ethinylestradiol) and progestogen (gestodene), which work to stop women from getting pregnant in three different ways:
- They prevent an egg from being released from the ovaries.
- They make the mucus in the cervix thicker, making it much more difficult for sperm to enter the womb.
- They prevent the lining of the womb from thickening enough for an egg to grow in it.
Femodene ED pills need to be taken every day without a break. When used correctly, combined hormonal contraceptives like Femodene ED are among the most reliable reversible methods of contraception.
How effective is Femodene ED?
The Femodene ED combined pill is more than 99% effective when taken properly. This effectiveness can be reduced if you miss a dose of pills, vomit or have diarrhoea.
Who can take Femodene ED?
Before you start your course of this medication, your doctor will ask you about your family's medical history and also check your blood pressure. They will also check to see if you are currently pregnant.
Tell your doctor if you have any existing medical problems, such as high blood pressure.
You should not use Femodene ED if:
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients contained in this medicine (please refer to the Ingredients tab for full details)
- You have ever had a heart attack or a stroke
- You have or have ever had breast cancer
- You have (or have ever had) a blood clot in a blood vessel in your legs (deep vein thrombosis) or your lungs (pulmonary embolus)
- You have a disorder that affects your blood clotting
- You have (or have ever had) angina pectoris (a condition causing chest pain which may be a sign of a heart attack) or transient ischaemic attack (temporary symptoms of a stroke)
- You have (or have ever had) migraine with aura
- You have ever had liver tumours
- You have ever had a severe liver disease and your doctor has told you that your liver function test results have not gone back to normal
Taking contraceptive pills in the long term can increase your risk of developing breast cancer or cervical cancer. For this reason, it is vital that you attend regular cancer screenings.
This type of contraception can also cause high blood pressure, so you should have your blood pressure checked at least once a year.
Can you buy Femodene ED over the counter?
Femodene ED cannot be bought over the counter. You need a prescription to buy Femodene ED contraceptive pills.
Can you buy Femodene ED online in the UK?
Femodene ED is a prescription-only medicine (POM). After completing a simple and confidential online consultation with one of our certified doctors, you can buy Femodene ED from Medicine Direct. Place your order by 2pm and you will benefit from our next day delivery service.
It is important to ensure that you are buying medicine online from a fully regulated UK pharmacy such as Medicine Direct. To learn more about our company, team, medical professionals, and the licenses we hold, visit our about us page.
Femodene ED alternatives
If you wish to switch contraceptive pills, you should talk to your doctor first.
Femodene is available as an alternative to Femodene ED. These two medicines are almost exactly the same in most ways. The only difference between the two medications is that a course of Femodene includes a break of seven days, where you do not take any pills.
We also stock other brands of combined oral contraceptives, such as:
For more information on different types of contraception that may be suitable for you, we recommend visiting the Contraception Choices website.
How to take Femodene ED
Femodene ED should be taken every day without a break.
Take one pill at the same time each day. Swallow the pill whole with a drink of water – do not crush or chew them.
When taking Femodene ED for the first time, it is best to start on the first day of your period. This will give you immediate protection against pregnancy.
- Take one active pill every day for 21 days.
- After taking the 21 active pills, take one inactive pill each day for 7 days. During this time you will have a normal withdrawal bleed, similar to a period.
- Once you have taken the 7 inactive pills, start to take the next pack of active pills without a break.
Read the patient information leaflet for a full list of instructions.
Femodene ED Side Effects
Like all medicines, Femodene ED comes with the risk of certain side effects, although not everyone who takes it will get them.
Common side effects of taking this medicine can include:
- Weight gain
- Feeling sick
- Stomach pain
- Mood swings
- Sore or painful breasts
- Fluid retention
- Skin rash
- Breast enlargement
- Decreased libido
- Vomiting or upset stomach
Rarer adverse effects can include:
- Weight loss
- Poor tolerance to contact lenses
- Breast or vaginal discharge
- Increased libido
Speak to your doctor if any of these reactions bother you or do not go away.
See the patient information leaflet for a full list of side effects, along with advice on what to do if you get any of them.
Femodene Warnings and Drug Interactions
Inform your doctor if you are currently taking (or have recently taken) any other medication.
In particular, tell them if you are taking:
- Certain medicines for epilepsy
- Certain medicines for HIV
- Any medicines to treat hepatitis C containing ombitasvir, paritaprevir, ritonavir or dasabuvir
- Certain antibiotics
- The herbal remedy St. John's wort
- Certain sedatives (barbiturates)
It is important to remember that the contraceptive pill will not protect you against sexually transmitted infections (STIs). You will still need to use a condom for protection against STIs.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Do not use this medicine if you are pregnant. If you think you might be pregnant while taking Femodene ED, take a pregnancy test to make sure before you stop using it.
The main active ingredients within this medicine are: Ethinylestradioland Gestodene
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics.
How much does it cost to buy Femodene ED online in the UK?
Quantity Buy Online UK Price 3 months £19.99 6 months £29.98
What is the difference between Femodene ED and Femodene?
Both of these medicines work in the same way to stop pregnancy. However, when you take generic Femodene, you will take 21 tablets and then have a break of seven days where you do not take any tablets at all. You will get your period during this break.
Will Femodene ED cause weight gain?
Weight gain is a common side effect of taking the contraceptive pill. If you notice that you are gaining weight, speak to your doctor. Talk to your doctor before taking the pill if you are obese.
Will Femodene ED make my breasts bigger?
Breast enlargement is an uncommon side effect of Femodene ED. This may occur in up to 10 and 100 in every 10,000 women who take it.
How old should I be when I start taking birth control?
Women often start taking birth control at the age of 16, although you can start later than this.
Can Femodene ED cause depression?
Some women taking Femodene ED have experienced depression or depressed moods. Tell your doctor if you already have depression or any other mental health problems before you start to take Femodene ED. If you notice you are feeling depressed while taking it, tell your doctor as soon as possible.
Can you use Femodene ED to treat acne?
The contraceptive pill can sometimes be used to treat acne. However, you should not take Femodene ED for this purpose unless your doctor has prescribed it for you. If you are suffering from acne, talk to your doctor about the pros and cons of taking the contraceptive pill for it.
Is it safe to take the pill for a long time?
You are at a greater risk of certain health problems if you take the pill for a long time. These include certain liver problems, liver cancer, breast cancer and blood clots. Talk to your doctor about the potential risks of taking the pill.
Can I smoke while taking the pill?
You are advised to stop smoking while taking Femodene ED. This is because you are at an increased risk of a heart attack or stroke while taking Femodene ED if you smoke.
Can I drink alcohol while taking Femodene ED?
Yes, it is safe to drink alcohol while taking Femodene ED.
What time should I take Femodene ED?
You can take the pill at any time of day that suits you, although you should try to take it around the same time each day.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.