- 99% effective in preventing pregnancy
- Combined hormonal contraceptive pill
- 21 Day course followed by a 7 day break
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Femodette?
Femodette is a combined hormonal contraceptive pill which is taken orally by women to prevent pregnancy.
Femodette is a monophasic combined pill, which means that each pill contains the same amount of hormones
When taken correctly, Femodette is 99% effective in preventing pregnancy.
You must have a prescription to buy Femodette.
How does Femodette work?
- Preventing your ovaries from releasing an egg
- Thickening the mucus in your cervix, making it much more difficult for sperm to enter the womb
- Stopping your womb lining from thickening enough for an egg to grow in it.
Taking this medication usually means that your periods are lighter, regular and less painful. Femodette may even help with pre-menstrual symptoms in some cases.
Who can take Femodette?
Before you start using Femodette, your doctor will ask about you and your family's medical history, to ascertain if this is the most appropriate medication for you to use. They will also check your blood pressure and rule out the possibility that you may already be pregnant. Other checks may also be necessary.
Before you start taking the pill, you must inform your doctor if you have any medical conditions or if you are taking any other medication.
Do not use Femodette tablets if:
- You have ever had a heart attack or stroke
- You have any conditions which affect your blood clotting
- You need to have an operation or are off your feet for long periods
- You have ever had a migraine with aura
- You have ever had breast cancer
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients contained in Femodette (please refer to the Ingredients tab for full information)
- You have ever had a blood clot in a blood vessel in your legs, lungs or other organs
- You have ever had liver tumours
- You have ever had angina pectoris (which causes chest pain and may be a sign of a heart attack) or transient ischaemic attack (temporary stroke symptoms)
- You have ever had a severe liver disease and your doctor has told you that your liver function test results have not yet returned to normal
- You have hepatitis C and are using any medical treatment that contains ombitasvir, paritaprevir, ritonavir or dasabuvir (this may increase the liver function in blood test results)
Can you buy Femodette over the counter?
Femodette cannot be bought over the counter. You must have a prescription for this medication.
Can you buy Femodette online in the UK?
Femodette is a prescription-only medication. You can buy Femodette online from Medicine Direct following a confidential online consultation with one of our registered doctors. You will need to complete an online questionnaire about your medical history for them to be sure it is safe for you.
If you place your order by 2pm, next day delivery is also available.
If you wish to try a different type of contraceptive pill, speak to your doctor before you switch.
Alternative combined pills that are also available to buy from Medicine Direct include:
For more information on different types of contraception that may be suitable for you, we recommend visiting the Contraception Choices website.
How to take Femodette
For immediate contraceptive protection, start to take Femodette on the first day of your period.
Take the tablets at the same time each day. The tablets should be swallowed whole with a glass of water. Do not crush or chew them.
- Take one tablet at around the same time every day for 21 days.
- After 21 days, have a break of 7 days where you do not take any tablets. You will have a normal bleed during this break.
- After the 7-day break, begin to take the tablets again for another 21 days.
Refer to the patient information leaflet for comprehensive instructions.
Femodette Side Effects
Common side effects of Femodette affect between 100 and 1,000 in every 10,000 women who take it:
- Mood swings
- Stomach aches
- Feeling sick
- Sore or painful breasts
- Weight gain
Less common undesired effects can occur in between 10 and 100 in every 10,000 women who take it:
- A skin rash (this may itch)
- Decreased libido (less interest in sex)
- Breast enlargement
- Fluid retention
- Nausea and/or vomiting
Speak to your doctor if any of these reactions bother you or do not go away.
For a complete list of side effects, and guidance on what to do if you get them, read the patient information leaflet before you start taking Femodette.
Femodette Warnings and Drug Interactions
Certain medicines can affect the blood levels of Femodette and stop it from being as effective. These include:
- Certain sedatives known as barbiturates
- The herbal remedy St. John's wort
- Certain antibiotics
- Certain medicines to treat epilepsy
- Certain medicines to treat HIV and hepatitis C virus infections (these are known as protease inhibitors and non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors)
- The antifungal medicine griseofulvin
You can find more information on medicines that interact with Femodette on the NICE website.
Femodette contains lactose and sucrose. Speak to your doctor before you take this medication if you have been told that you are intolerant to some sugars
Read the patient information leaflet for full warnings.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
You must not use Femodette if you are pregnant. Talk to your doctor before taking Femodette if you think you might be pregnant.
If you think you have become pregnant while already taking this oral contraceptive, do a pregnancy test to make sure before you stop taking it.
Your doctor or family planning nurse may advise you to not take this combined contraceptive pill if you are breastfeeding. An alternative form of contraceptive may be more suitable for you.
Visit the BUMPS website for more information on taking Femodette oral contraceptive pills during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
The main active ingredients within this medicine are: Ethinylestradiol and Gestodene
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics.
What type of pill is Femodette?
Femodette is a combined hormonal contraceptive pill, containing both progestogen and oestrogen.
Is Femodette a low dose pill?
Femodette is classed as a low dose contraceptive pill, meaning it contains less oestrogen than some other contraceptive pills.
How effective is Femodette?
Femodette will provide 99% protection if you take it as instructed.
Can Femodette treat acne?
If you have acne, your doctor might recommend that you take a contraceptive pill to treat it. You should speak to your doctor if you are suffering from acne. Do not take Femodette to treat acne unless it has been prescribed for this reason.
Does Femodette affect your mood?
Mood changes have been reported by some women taking the combined hormonal contraceptive pill. If you experience a depressed mood or suicidal thoughts, tell your doctor immediately. You should tell your doctor if you have any mental health problems before you start to take Femodette.
Can I skip the seven-day break while taking Femodette?
Skipping your period while taking the combined pill can cause side effects like breakthrough bleeding. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before doing this.
Is taking one pill enough to prevent pregnancy?
Taking one pill each day as instructed will be enough to prevent pregnancy. However, you must take Femodette as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist to ensure effectiveness. There is always the small risk that you may still become pregnant, even if you take Femodette as instructed.
Can you start taking Femodette at any time?
You should start to take Femodette on the first day of your period. This will mean you are protected straight away. Taking it later than this means you should use a condom for the first seven days of using Femodette.
Can I still get pregnant even while taking Femodette?
There is still a small risk that you can become pregnant even if you have taken Femodette as instructed. Take a pregnancy test if you think you may be pregnant. If your test is positive, contact your doctor immediately.
How long does Femodette take to work?
Femodette will work straight away if you take it on the first day of your period.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.