Flixonase Nasal Spray 50mcg (150 Sprays)
- Treats allergic rhinitis (allergy to dust, pollen etc)
- Steroid nasal treatment
- Reduces inflammation in the nose and reduces symptoms
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
347 customer reviews
What is Flixonase nasal spray?
Flixonase aqueous nasal spray contains a medicine called fluticasone propionate, which belongs to a group of medicines known as steroids, or corticosteroids. It is an effective treatment for allergic rhinitis, which is inflammation on the inside of your nose caused by an allergen.
Do I need a prescription for flixonase?
Flixonase is a prescription-only medication.
You can buy Flixonase aqueous nasal spray from Medicine Direct following a simple and confidential online consultation with a registered doctor. They will prescribe you this product if they deem it to be the most suitable treatment for your condition.
You can then order this medicine from our online pharmacy. Place your order by 2pm and we can offer you next day delivery.
What does Flixonase nasal spray do?
Flixonase is a steroid nasal treatment for allergic rhinitis. It is used as a preventative measure and a treatment for:
- The inflammation in the lining of your nose caused by allergic rhinitis that is caused by a seasonal allergy like hay fever.
- The inflammation in the lining of your nose due to year-round allergy triggers, such as dust or animal fur.
It contains fluticasone propionate, which is a steroid medicine that works to treat this problem in three ways:
- It reduces inflammation.
- It reduces swelling and irritation in the nose.
- It helps to relive itching, sneezing and soreness in your nose, as well as a blocked or runny nose.
What is allergic rhinitis?
This condition affects 20% of people in the UK, of all ages. Allergic rhinitis is when a harmless allergen enters your nasal passage and the immune system reacts to it believing it is a dangerous invader. Your body believes that this allergen is something harmful, like an infection, so it begins to produce excessive amounts of mucus, which triggers the symptoms of allergic rhinitis, such as itching, sneezing or a sore nose or throat.
Flixonase inhibits your immune system's inflammatory response to allergens, helping to stop the symptoms from developing.
Currently, there is no cure for allergic rhinitis, but you can properly manage your symptoms with medical treatment.
There are various things that can trigger allergic rhinitis, including:
- Animal fur
The cause of this condition is not fully known, but you may be more prone to it if you have a family history of allergic rhinitis. In most cases, it is not a serious threat to your health, although it can be very debilitating and get in the way of your everyday life.
Some non-medical alternatives are also available to combat the symptoms of hay fever.
Alternatives you can try to reduce your symptoms include:
- Keeping the windows and doors closed on days with a high pollen count
- Wearing wrap-around sunglasses
- Showering each day, particularly if you have been outside, to remove any trapped pollen grains in your hair or on your skin
Over the counter medicines are also available to purchase, ranging from nasal sprays and eye drops to tablets. Many of these are also available to order from Medicine Direct; it is advisable to try these medicines before turning to a prescription treatment.
Another alternative that is very similar to Flixonase is Avamys nasal spray.
Who can use Flixonase?
Flixonase is an effective treatment for the symptoms of allergic rhinitis, but it is not suitable for everyone to take.
Do not use Flixonase if:
- You are allergic to fluticasone propionate or any of the other ingredients contained in this product (please refer to the Ingredients tab for full information)
This product is not suitable for children who are under 4 years old.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if:
- You have ever had an operation on your nose
- You have an infection in your nose
Flixonase Nasal Spray Dosage and Directions
How to use Flixonase aqueous nasal sprays
Always use Flixonase nasal sprays exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly and talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you are still not sure how to use it.
This product takes a few days to start working; even if you do not feel better straight away, you should keep using it.
Do not use this nasal spray in children under the age of 4 years old.
Only use this product in your nose, avoid contact with the eyes.
Use this spray every day.
Adults and children aged 12 years and older:
- The normal starting dose is 2 sprays into each nostril once a day, ideally in the morning.
- The maximum dose in one day is 8 sprays (4 in each nostril).
- Your doctor may instruct you to use a lower dose than this as your condition starts to get better (one spray into each nostril every day).
- If your symptoms get worse, your doctor may increase the dose back to 2 sprays each day.
Children aged 4 to 11 years old:
- The usual starting dose is one spray into each nostril, ideally in the morning.
- The maximum dose in one day is 4 sprays (2 sprays into each nostril)
Directions of use
- Shake the bottle and remove the dust cap.
- Gently blow your nose.
- Use your finger to close one nostril and gently put the nozzle into the other nostril. Tilt your head forward slightly and keep the bottle upright.
- Breathe in slowly through your nose. While you are breathing in, press down on the collar with your fingers. A fine mist will be sprayed into your nostril.
- Breathe out through your mouth.
- Repeat step 4 to administer a second spray into the same nostril.
- After doing this, repeat steps 3 to 6 in the other nostril.
- When you have finished using your spray, use a tissue to gently wipe the nozzle clean, then replace the dust cap.
Try to clean the spray once a week. If it gets blocked, you may need to do this more often.
What if I forget to use it?
If you forget to use the nasal spray, just take the next dose at the usual time. Do not take a double dose in an attempt to make up for missing a previous one.
What if I use more than I am supposed to?
If you have used this product more than you were instructed to, talk to your doctor.
Never take more doses than your doctor has instructed you to. Taking more or less of this medicine than you were instructed may make your condition worse.
What if I stop taking it?
You must not stop taking this treatment unless your doctor tells you to, even if you feel better. Stopping your course of treatment prematurely may result in your symptoms coming back.
What does the price include?
How do I buy Flixonase online?
How many packs of Flixonase can I buy in one purchase?
What does Flixonase contain?
How does Flixonase work?
Is it safe to use a nasal spray at the same time as oral antihistamines?
How is Flixonase different from an oral antihistamine?
Is Flixonase available for next-day delivery?
Is it safe to buy Flixonase online?
What are the advantages of buying Flixonase online?
I normally get Flixonase from my doctor – why should I buy it online?
Flixonase Nasal Spray side effects
Like all medicines, Flixonase can cause certain side effects, although not everyone who uses this spray will be affected by them.
Common side effects of this medicine can include:
- Nose bleeds
- An unpleasant taste in the mouth
- An unpleasant smell
- A dry or painful nose or throat
Talk to your doctor if any of these side effects bother you or do not go away.
In unknown frequencies, some people have reported sores in the nose and blurred vision as side effects of Flixonase. If you suffer from vision issues, seek medical attention straight away.
Serious Side Effects
Rare side effects of Flixonase can include:
- Skin reactions
- Damage to your nose
- Eye problems, which may include pain and/or blurred vision
Speak to your doctor if you experience any of the reactions listed above.
In very rare instances, this product may interfere with the normal production of steroids in your body. You are most at risk of this happening if you use high doses of Flixonase for a long period of time. Your doctor will help to prevent this by prescribing the lowest dose of steroid to control your symptoms.
This issue can slow down children's growth, so children who are using this treatment for a prolonged period will need to attend regular check ups with their doctor.
Serious allergic reaction
In rare cases, it is possible to suffer a serious allergic reaction to Flixonase. You must either dial 999 or go to A&E straight away if you have any of the following:
- You are wheezing
- You have tightness in your chest or throat
- You develop a skin rash that may include red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- You have swelling in your face, mouth, lips, tongue or throat
- You suddenly feel weak or light-headed
- You are finding it difficult to breathe or speak
You could be having a serious allergic reaction and require immediate treatment in hospital.
Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive details on side effects. If you have any questions or concerns at all, we strongly advise you to talk to your doctor before you start using this product.
Flixonase Nasal Spray Warnings and Drug Interactions
Before using a new medication, you should always inform your doctor if you are currently taking (or have recently taken) any other medicine. This includes prescription or non-prescription medication, herbal remedies, vitamins or supplements.
In particular, inform your doctor or pharmacist if:
- You have taken steroids for a long time, either orally or by injection
- You are taking a form of antiviral medicine known as a protease inhibitor, or any products containing cobicistat which may increase the effects of fluticasone propionate. If you are taking any of these medicines, your doctor may wish to monitor you more closely
- You are taking certain medicines to treat fungal infections, such as ketoconazole
Flixonase contains 0.02mg of benzalkonium chloride in each unit dose. This ingredient may cause breathing problems, as well as irritation or swelling inside the nose, particularly in people who use it for a long time.
Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive information on warnings and drug interactions. If you have any questions or concerns at all, we strongly advise you to talk to your doctor before you start using this medication.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
You should talk to your doctor before you start using this medicine if any of the following apply to you:
- You are currently pregnant
- You are trying to get pregnant
- You think you might be pregnant
- You are currently breastfeeding
Talk to your doctor if you become pregnant while using Flixonase.
Further details on who this medicine may not be suitable for can be found on the Warnings tab, which gives information on drug interactions and other precautions.
Always read the patient information leaflet for full details. If you are still not sure if this medicine is safe for you, you should speak to your doctor for advice.
Flixonase Nasal Spray Ingredients
The active ingredient contained in this product is fluticasone propionate.
It also contains these inactive ingredients: Cellulose microcrystalline, carmellose sodium, glucose, polysorbate 80, water purified and the preservatives benzalkonium chloride and phenylethyl alcohol.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.