Flixonase Nasal Spray 50mcg (150 Sprays)
- Treats allergic rhinitis (allergy to dust, pollen etc)
- Steroid nasal treatment
- Reduces inflammation in the nose and reduces symptoms
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Flixonase nasal spray?
Flixonase aqueous nasal spray contains a medicine called fluticasone propionate, which belongs to a group of medicines known as steroids, or corticosteroids. Corticosteroids help to reduce inflammation in the body and can be used to treat a number of inflammatory conditions of the body. It is an effective treatment for allergic rhinitis (hay fever), which is inflammation on the inside of your nose caused by an allergen.
The active anti-inflammatory ingredient, Fluticasone is also used to treat other conditions such as:
- Asthma (Flixotide Inhaler)
- Exzema (Fluticasone cream)
You must have a prescription to buy Flixonase. It can be taken by adults and children over the age of 4.
What is Flixonase used to treat?
Flixonase is a steroid nasal treatment for hay fever. It is used as a preventative measure and a treatment for:
- The inflammation in the lining of your nose that is caused by allergic rhinitis.
- The inflammation in the lining of your nose due to year-round allergy triggers, such as dust or animal fur.
Allergic rhinitis is a condition that affects 20% of people in the UK, of all ages. Allergic rhinitis is when a harmless allergen enters your nasal passage and the immune system reacts to it believing it is a dangerous invader. Your body believes that this allergen is something harmful, like an infection, so it begins to produce excessive amounts of mucus, which triggers the symptoms of allergic rhinitis, such as itching, sneezing or a sore nose or throat.
Currently, there is no cure for allergic rhinitis, but you can properly manage your symptoms with medical treatment.
Why is Flixonase nasal spray reommended for hay fever?
Fluticasone propionate has been clinically tested and shown to be a highly effective treatment for the symptoms of hay fever.
Flixonase can be used by children and adults, and can be used more than once a day if required.
How does Flixonase work?
Flixonase inhibits your immune system's inflammatory response to allergens, helping to stop the symptoms from developing.
This nasal spray contains the active ingredient fluticasone propionate, which is a steroid medicine that works to treat allergic rhinitis in three ways:
- It reduces inflammation
- It reduces swelling and irritation in the nose
- It helps to relive itching, sneezing and soreness in your nose, as well as treat a blocked or runny nose.
Who can use Flixonase?
Do not use Flixonase if you are allergic to fluticasone propionate or any of the other ingredients contained in this product (please refer to the Ingredients tab for full information).
This product is not suitable for children who are under 4 years old.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if:
- You have ever had an operation on your nose
- You have an infection in your nose
Can you buy Flixonase over the counter?
You cannot buy Flixonase without a prescription, so it is not for sale over the counter.
Can you buy Flixonase online in the UK?
To buy Flixonase online from Medicine Direct, you will first need to fill out our online questionnaire to make sure it is a suitable medicine for you to use. One of our prescribers will assess the answers you provide to ensure it is the most appropriate medication for your problem.
Next day delivery is available if your order is placed by 2pm.
To ensure your own safety, you should never buy medicine online from anywhere other than regulated pharmacies, like Medicine Direct. We are regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council to ensure we provide nothing but genuine medicine that is approved for sale in the UK.
There is no cure for allergic rhinitis, but antihistamine medicines like Levocetirizine or Desloratadine can work to significantly reduce the symptoms. Antihistamines block the production of histamine, which your body produces to fight off infections and other issues. Antihistamines provide comprehensive treatment for allergies and allow you to get on with your day without being hindered by symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
Dymista nasal spray is another medicine that contains the exact same active ingredient, fluticasone proprionate.
Other corticosteroid nasal sprays are also available from Medicine Direct, such as Beclometasone. This spray relieves hay fever symptoms in the same ways as Flixonase and can be ordered after an online consultation form has been filled out.
Flixonase Nasal Spray Dosage and Directions
Our pharmacist and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Flixonase nasal spray.
Adults and children aged 12 years and older:
- The normal starting dose is 2 sprays into each nostril once a day, ideally in the morning.
- The maximum dose in one day is 8 sprays (4 in each nostril).
- Your doctor may instruct you to use a lower dose than this as your condition starts to get better (one spray into each nostril every day).
- If your symptoms get worse, your doctor may increase the dose back to 2 sprays each day.
Children aged 4 to 11 years old:
- The usual starting dose is one spray into each nostril, ideally in the morning.
- The maximum dose in one day is 4 sprays (2 sprays into each nostril)
How to use Flixonase
Gently shake the bottle before use. If this is the first time you are using the nasal spray, you will need to prime it by spraying it away from you until a fine mist is released.
Read the patient information leaflet for a full list of instructions. Ask your pharmacist or doctor if you are not sure how to take this medicine.
Directions of use
- Shake the bottle and remove the dust cap.
- Gently blow your nose.
- Use your finger to close one nostril and gently put the nozzle into the other nostril. Tilt your head forward slightly and keep the bottle upright.
- Breathe in slowly through your nose. While you are breathing in, press down on the collar with your fingers. A fine mist will be sprayed into your nostril.
- Breathe out through your mouth.
- Repeat step 4 to administer a second spray into the same nostril.
- After doing this, repeat steps 3 to 6 in the other nostril.
- When you have finished using your spray, use a tissue to gently wipe the nozzle clean, then replace the dust cap.
Try to clean the spray once a week. If it gets blocked, you may need to do this more often.
Flixonase Nasal Spray side effects
Common side effects of this medicine can include:
- Nose bleeds
- An unpleasant taste in the mouth
- An unpleasant smell
- A dry or painful nose or throat
Talk to your doctor if any of these side effects bother you or do not go away.
In unknown frequencies, some people have reported sores in the nose and blurred vision as side effects of Flixonase. If you suffer from vision issues, seek medical attention straight away.
Serious Side Effects
Rare side effects of Flixonase can include:
- Skin reactions
- Damage to your nose
- Eye problems, which may include pain and/or blurred vision
Speak to your doctor if you experience any of the reactions listed above.
In very rare instances, this product may interfere with the normal production of steroids in your body. You are most at risk of this happening if you use high doses of Flixonase for a long period of time. Your doctor will help to prevent this by prescribing the lowest dose of steroid to control your symptoms.
This issue can slow down children's growth, so children who are using this treatment for a prolonged period will need to attend regular check ups with their doctor.
Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive details on side effects.
Flixonase Nasal Spray Warnings and Drug Interactions
Before using a new medication, you should always inform your doctor if you are currently taking (or have recently taken) any other medicine. This includes prescription or non-prescription medication, herbal remedies, vitamins or supplements as some medications can interact with Flixonase nasal spray.
In particular, inform your doctor or pharmacist if:
- You have taken steroids for a long time, either orally or by injection
- You are taking a form of antiviral medicine known as a protease inhibitor, or any products containing cobicistat which may increase the effects of fluticasone propionate. If you are taking any of these medicines, your doctor may wish to monitor you more closely
- You are taking certain medicines to treat fungal infections, such as ketoconazole
Flixonase contains 0.02mg of benzalkonium chloride in each unit dose. This ingredient may cause breathing problems, as well as irritation or swelling inside the nose, particularly in people who use it for a long time.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
You should talk to your doctor before you start using this medicine if any of the following apply to you:
- You are currently pregnant
- You are trying to get pregnant
- You think you might be pregnant
- You are currently breastfeeding
Inhaled corticosteroids, when taken correctly are unlikely to cause any harm to an unborn baby, for more informaiton please visit the BUMPS website.
Always read the patient information leaflet for full details.
Flixonase Nasal Spray Ingredients
The main active ingredient within this medicine is: Fluticasone propionate.
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics.
How much does it cost to buy Flixonase Nasal Spray online in the UK?
Flixonase Nasal Spray Quantity Buy Online UK Price 1 £19.99 2 £37.99 3 £53.99
How long can I use Flixonase?You will normally be told to use it for between 1 and 3 months. Flixonase is not designed to be used on a permanent basis. Do not use it for longer than your doctor tells you.
How long does it take to work?It will take a few days for the medicine to work. Flixonase may take up to two weeks before the full effects are felt. If you have not noticed any improvement after using this nasal spray for one week, talk to your doctor.
Is Flixonase a steroid?Flixonase is the brand name for this nasal spray. It contains fluticasone propionate, which is a corticosteroid.
Can I drink alcohol with it?It is safe to drink alcohol while using Flixonase.
Can Flixonase make you tired?Enter answer here
Enter question hereTiredness is not a side effect associated with Flixonase.
Can I use Flixonase at the same time as oral antihistamines?Yes, this is quite common if you are suffering from hay fever. However, you must not use more than one steroid nasal spray at the same time.
Is Flixonase safe to use every day?Yes, it is safe to use Flixonase every day, providing you stick to the prescribed dose. You should not use Flixonase on a permanent basis.
Will it affect my contraception?No, Flixonase does not have any effect on any type of contraception. This includes emergency contraception.
Will it affect my fertility?Flixonase is not known to affect the fertility of either men or women.
Updated on: 29/07/2021
This content has been written by our Superintendent Pharmacist Hussain Abdeh and has been medically reviewed by our Pharmacist Sonia Khan
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.