Anadin Extra Caplets 32s
- Fast acting pain relief
- Triple action formula of caffeine, paracetamol and aspirin
- Used for Headaches, Migraines, Period Pain, Toothache and more
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Anadin Extra?
Anadin Extra tablets provide fast-acting pain relief from a range of conditions, such as headaches and migraines. They should be taken to treat mild to moderate pain.
Anadin Extra can be taken by adults over the age of 16.
What is Anadin Extra used to treat?
This medicine is widely used as a treatment for the symptoms of migraine headaches.
Anadin Extra tablets also provide effective pain relief from mild to moderate pain caused by a variety of other conditions; these include toothache, sore throats, period pain, headaches and neuralgia.
Anadin Extra tablets can also be taken to treat the pain associated with muscle injuries, although you should also use a tubular bandage to reduce swelling.
How does Anadin Extra work?
This medicine consists of a triple-action formula comprised of paracetamol, aspirin and caffeine, which is designed to relieve pain very quickly. These three components work together to each achieve a different goal:
- Paracetamol works to block the brain's pain signals
- Aspirin targets the pain and suppresses it at the source
- Caffeine can make pain relief medicine upto 40% more effective
Typically, it will get to work within five minutes.
How to take Anadin Extra
Adults and children over 16 should take 2 tablets when they feel the onset of pain.
Swallow the tablets whole with a glass of water. Do not crush or chew them.
If the pain does not go away, you can take another 2 tablets after four hours.
Do not take more than 8 tablets in 24 hours and do not take more than 2 tablets at once.
Read the patient information leaflet for full instructions. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Who can take Anadin Extra?
Anadin Extra tablets provide fast acting pain relief from a wide range of problems, but they are not suitable for everyone to take.
There is a possible connection between aspirin and Reye's syndrome, which is a very rare disease affecting the brain and liver; it can be fatal. For this reason, you should not give aspirin to children under 16 years old, unless specifically instructed to by a doctor.
Do not take this medicine if:
- You are allergic to caffeine, aspirin, paracetamol or any other ingredient in this medicine (please refer to the Ingredients tab for full details)
- You have ever had or currently have a stomach ulcer, bleeding or perforation
- You suffer from gout or haemophilia
- You are breastfeeding
- You are in the late stages of pregnancy
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Anadin Extra if suffer from:
- Liver or kidney disease (including alcoholic liver disease)
- Allergic disease
- G-6-PD deficiency
This list is not exhaustive. Read the patient information leaflet for full warnings.
Can you buy Anadin Extra over the counter?
Yes, you can buy Anadin Extra from pharmacies and supermarkets without needing a prescription. You must be at least 16 years old to take this medicine.
Can you buy Anadin Extra online in the UK?
You can buy Anadin Extra online from Medicine Direct after you have filled out a short and confidential online consultation form. This will be reviewed by one of our certified prescribers to make sure this medicine is safe for you to take.
Order online by 2pm to benefit from next day delivery.
Never buy any medicine online unless you are ordering it from a fully regulated pharmacy, like Medicine Direct.
Anadin Extra alternatives
Various alternative medicines are available if Anadin Extra is not effective or suitable for you. Migraleve Pink is a migraine treatment which can also be ordered online without a prescription. Migraleve Pink also contains three active ingredients: paracetamol and codeine (to ease headaches) and buclizine (to settle nausea).
Triptan medicines are available on prescription from Medicine Direct, including the likes of Sumatriptan and Zolmitriptan. It is believed that migraines are caused by the blood vessels in the brain widening, which results in a throbbing headache. Triptan medicines work to treat migraines by causing the blood vessels in the brain to narrow to their normal size, relieving the throbbing pain.
Browse our full range of treatments on the Migraine product page on our website.
Anadin Extra Dosage and Directions
Always take Anadin Extra tablets exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly before taking them. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking Anadin Extra if you are unsure of how to take it.
This medicine should be taken orally and is for short-term use only. Do not take these tablets with any other products that contain paracetamol.
Directions for use
You should take the lowest dose possible, for the shortest possible time.
Take 2 tablets up to four times a day, as required. Swallow Anadin Extra tablets with a drink of water.
Only take as much as you require to effectively relieve your symptoms and leave at least 4 hours between each dose.
Do not take more than 8 tablets in 24 hours.
Keep Anadin Extra tablets out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not store above 25C and do not use this pain relief medicine after the expiry date, which can be found on the packet.
Anadin Extra Side effects
Like all medicines, Anadin Extra has the risk of possible side effects, although not everyone gets them.
You can reduce the risk of side effects by taking the lowest dose possible. Side effects are most serious in elderly patients.
Stop taking this medicine and seek medical advice if:
- You get breathing problems (this is most common in patients with or who have a history of asthma)
- You have a stomach ulceration or perforation (symptoms may include vomiting blood, abdominal pain, blood in the faeces or passing black stools)
Please note, this list is not exhaustive. Please refer to the Side Effects tab on this page for more information.
Always read the patient information leaflet thoroughly before taking a new medication.
Serious Side Effects
If any of the below side effects become serious, or any other reactions occur, contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately:
- The blood does not clot well, which results in bruising or bleeding easily
- A severe reduction in white blood cells, making you prone to infection
- Shaking or palpitations
- Feeling or being sick
- Changes in skin colour
- Runny nose
- Shortness of breath
Severe allergic reaction
In rare cases, you may experience a severe allergic reaction to taking Anadin Extra tablets.
You must either dial 999 or go to A&E straight away if you have any of the following symptoms:
- You get a skin rash that is red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- You are wheezing
- You are finding it difficult to speak or breathe
- You have tightness in your chest or throat
- You have swelling in your mouth, face, lips, tongue or throat
You may require immediate treatment in hospital.
Anadin Extra Warnings and drug interactions
Please inform your doctor or pharmacist of any other medicines you are currently using, whether they are prescription or non-prescription as some medicines may interact with the ingredient paracetamol and some may interact with the ingredient aspirin.
Do not use Anadin Extra if you are already taking any medicines to reduce blood clotting (warfarin) or to treat gout (sulfinpyrazone).
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this pain relief medicine if you are currently taking:
- Water tablets
- Diarrhoea treatment caused by gall bladder disease
- Certain antibiotics (chloramphenicol)
- Corticosteroids (steroid hormones)
- Epilepsy treatments
- Certain cancer treatments (methotrexate)
- Medicine to lower blood pressure (ACE inhibitors)
- Gout treatments (probenecid)
- Certain asthma treatments (zafirlukast)
- Obesity treatments (sibutramine)
- Some depression medicines (SSRIs, venlafaxine)
- Anti-sickness treatments (metoclopramide, domperidone)
- Any other NSAIDs such as Naproxen and Ibuprofen
Do not take these tablets with any other products that contain paracetamol.
You should take 2 tablets up to four times a day, as required. However, you must leave a gap of 4 hours between each dose. Do not take more than 8 tablets in 24 hours.
Consult your doctor as soon as possible if you take more of this medicine than instructed, even if you feel okay. An overdose of paracetamol can result in delayed, serious liver damage. Bring the packaging and any remaining tablets with you to show the doctor.
If you have any questions or concerns at all, please do not hesitate to discuss them with your doctor before taking the medicine.
Anadin Extra Ingredients
The main active ingredients within this medicine are: Paracetamol, Caffeine and Aspirin
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
Updated on: 27/07/2021
This content has been written by our Superintendent Pharmacist Hussain Abdeh and has been medically reviewed by our Pharmacist Sonia Khan
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.