Clenil Modulite Inhaler
- Brown Preventer Inhaler
- Reduces inflammation and relaxes the muscles in the airways to the lungs
- Prevents future asthma attacks
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is a Clenil Modulite brown inhaler?
Clenil Modulite is a preventer inhaler used to control and manage the symptoms of asthma. It is often referred to as a "brown inhaler".
It works by relaxing the muscles in the airways to the lungs, making it easier to catch your breath.
You can only buy Clenil Modulite on prescription.
What is Clenil Modulite used to treat?
Clenil Modulite is a type of preventer inhaler used to prevent the symptoms of asthma.
Regular use of a Clenil Modulite inhaler reduces the frequency of experiencing asthma symptoms and improve the quality of life among asthma sufferers.
You should not use a preventer inhaler like Clenil Modulite in the event of an asthma attack. You will need to use your "reliever" inhaler in these situations.
Why is Clenil Modulite prescribed for asthma?
The active steroid ingredient within Clenil Modulite, Beclomethasone; has been used in the treatment of asthma since 1976. It is also on the World Health Organisation's List of Essential Medicines.
It has been shown to provide effective treatment for asthma symptoms when used correctly.
Inhaled Corticosteroids (ICS) are the first-line treatment in preventing persistent asthma in patients who suffer symptoms more than twice a week. ICS are also considered to be the only drug that can effectively suppress inflammation in the airways.
How does Clenil Modulite treat asthma?
Clenil Modulite contains the active ingredient beclometasone dipropionate, which belongs to the corticosteroid family of drugs. When inhaled, this ingredient is absorbed by the cells in the lungs, which alleviates the symptoms associated with asthma such as chest tightness, shortness of breath, and wheezing.
Inhaled corticosteroids help to suppress a number of inflammatory genes present in the airways. This allows the medicine to reduce hyperresponsiveness in the airways and effectively manage asthma symptoms.
Why is Clenil Modulite called a "brown inhaler"?
Brown inhalers, also known as preventer inhalers, usually contain some form of steroid. This steroid is used to build up a resistance to asthma triggers.
Steroid inhalers are usually brown in colour so you can easily distinguish them from your reliever inhaler, which will usually be blue. A reliever inhaler should be taken during an asthma attack for instant relief.
Who can use a Clenil Modulite inhaler?
Clenil Modulite may not be suitable for everyone to use. Inform your doctor if any of the following apply to you before you use Clenil Modulite:
- You have ever been or are currently being treated for tuberculosis (TB)
- You cannot drink alcohol for any reason
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients in this medicine, or any other medicines used to treat asthma
- When transferring from a steroid to an inhaler, you feel unwell, have a skin rash, a runny nose, or are sneezing. Do not stop the treatment unless advised to by your doctor.
- Your asthma appears to be getting worse while you use Clenil Modulite. Your reliever inhaler may seem less effective than before, or you may need to use your reliever inhaler more frequently/in higher doses than usual.
There is evidence to suggest that asthmatics who smoke may experience corticosteroid resistance, meaning they may require a higher dose of a corticosteroid to help manage asthma symptoms.
You are advised to quit smoking if you suffer from asthma due to the impaired therapeutic responses to corticosteroids that have been reported in smokers.
Can you buy Clenil Modulite over the counter?
Clenil Modulite is a prescription-only medicine (POM), so you must have a valid UK prescription to be able to buy this product.
Additionally, you will be required to attend yearly assessments in which your doctor will carry out a peak flow test to monitor your asthma.
Can you buy Clenil Modulite online?
You can buy Clenil Modulite online at Medicine Direct after completing an online health questionnaire. This will be used to assess your medical condition by a doctor or healthcare professional.
Never buy any medicine online from anywhere but regulated UK pharmacies, like Medicine Direct.
Clenil Modulite Alternatives
Other steroid inhalers include:
- Flixotide Inhaler (Fluticasone)
- Seretide Inhaler Purple combination inhaler
- Symbicort Turbohaler (Budesonide)
- Qvar Inhaler (Beclometasone dipropionate)
- Pulmicort Turbohaler (Budesonide)
Despite the Clenil Modulite inhaler being a commonly prescribed preventer, a 2002 study comparing Beclomethasone versus Budesonide and their efficacy when treating asthma found Budesonide to be more effective when inhaled via Turbohaler
Clenil Modulite dose and indications
Clenil Modulite inhalers can come in a variety of dosages. The dose you are prescribed will depend on the severity of your condition and the symptoms you are experiencing. Clenil Modulite 200mcg and 250mcg are not suitable for children.
All of our doctors and pharmacists follow NICE dosage guidelines when prescribing Clenil Modulite.
How to use the Clenil Modulite inhaler
Testing your inhaler
If you have not used your inhaler for three days or more, or if your inhaler is brand new, you should simply release one puff into the air to ensure it works correctly.
If you have just purchased your inhaler and are testing it for the first time, the number 200 should be displayed on the dose indicator. If this is not the case, please contact the pharmacy you bought the inhaler from.
Using your inhaler
- Remove the cover from the mouthpiece, making sure there is nothing inside the mouthpiece
- Hold your inhaler upright with your thumb on the base and your index finger on the top of the canister
- Breathe out as far as possible
- Place the mouthpiece in your mouth and lock your lips around it to ensure it is airtight
- Breathe in slowly and deeply and press down on the top of the inhaler to release a puff
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth and hold your breath for approximately 5 to 10 seconds
- If you have been instructed to take 2 puffs, wait for 30 seconds before taking another puff
You can also find more information on when to use your Clenil Modulite inhaler in our guide.
Clenil Modulite Side Effects
As with all medications, Clenil Modulite inhalers come with the risk of side effects, although not everyone gets them.
Some of the common side effects of using this inhaler include:
- Sore throat, hoarse voice, sore tongue
- Oral thrush
- Allergic reactions such as hives, redness or itching
Rinsing your mouth with water after using the inhaler may reduce the risk of developing adverse reactions in your mouth.
Less common side effects of using this inhaler include:
- Changes to the normal production of steroids in your body, particularly if the inhaler is used in large doses over a long period of time
- A decrease in bone mineral density
- Loss of appetite/weight loss
- Abdominal pain
- Feeling sick or being sick
- Feeling faint or fainting
- Convulsions (fits)
- Blurred vision
- Problems sleeping
Speak to your doctor if any of these side effects bother you.
Always read the patient information leaflet thoroughly for a full list of side effects.
For more information on Clenil Modulite side effects, read our detailed guide that covers both common and long-term side effects.
Clenil Modulite warnings and drug interactions
Always inform your doctor of any other medicines you are already taking before you start to use Clenil Modulite.
Clenil Modulite inhalers may interact with other medications. Make sure your doctor is aware if you are currently taking any prescription or non-prescription medicines, herbal remedies, vitamins or supplements.
A full list of Clenil Modulite drug interactions can be found here.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Clenil Modulite and other inhaled corticosteroids are safe for use during pregnancy.
Find out more about using Clenil Modulite when pregnant and breastfeeding on the BUMPS website.
Always read the patient information leaflet, which will come with your inhaler, for a comprehensive list of warnings.
Clenil Modulite Ingredients
The main active ingredient within this medicine is: Beclometasone dipropionate
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics.
How much does it cost to buy Clenil Modulite Inhalers online in the UK?
Dosage Quantity Price (starting from) Clenil Modulite 50mcg 1 Inhaler £17.99 Clenil Modulite 100mcg 1 Inhaler £23.99 Clenil Modulite 200mcg 1 Inhaler £33.99 Clenil Modulite 250mcg 1 Inhaler £34.99
Should I use Clenil Modulite in the event of an asthma attack?No, in the even of an asthma attack you should always turn to your blue reliever inhaler. The Clenil inhaler does not offer instant relief in the event of an asthma attack.
How quickly does Clenil Modulite start to work?Clenil does not work straight away, instead it helps to prevent your symptoms over time. You will usually notice your symptoms getting better after 3-7 days, this will continue to improve over time.
How often should I use my Clenil Inhaler?Every day, twice daily; once in the morning and once at night.
How long should I use my inhaler for?This is a long term treatment plan, you will most likely have to use your Clenil inhaler for a long time, even when you feel better it is important to continue taking it.
Is it safe to use Beclometasone for a long time?Yes, beclometasone inhalers such as Clenil are intended for long term use. When taken properly, beclometasone inhalers do not cause and lasting side effects.
Is Beclometasone a steroid?Yes, Beclometasone is a steroid medicine used to prevent asthma attacks.
What is the price of a Clenil Inhaler in the UK?Prices start from £17.99 for 1 inhaler.
Can I use Clenil Modulite and Ventolin together?Yes, it is highly recommended to use Clenil Modulite alongside a reliever inhaler such as Ventolin.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.