- Preventer Inhaler
- Effective treatment for Asthma and COPD
- Reduces inflammation of the airways
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Symbicort Turbohaler?
Symbicort Turbohaler is an inhaler that should be used every day to prevent the symptoms of asthma. It contains a corticosteroid medicine and makes it easier for asthma sufferers to breathe and get on with their days without being bothered by symptoms.
Symbicort can be used to treat asthma in adults and children aged 6 and above.
Before you can buy Symbicort Turbohaler, you must have a prescription from your doctor.
What is Symbicort Turbohaler used to treat?
Symbicort Turbohalers are prescribed for people who suffer from asthma. This inhaler is known as a “preventer inhaler”, which means it works to prevent asthma symptoms from bothering you.
Some people who use Symbicort Turbohaler are also prescribed a separate “reliever inhaler”, which you should carry with you at all times. However, some people are prescribed Symbicort Turbohaler as their primary inhaler, meaning they should also use this inhaler to relieve asthma symptoms. In this case, you should carry your inhaler with you at all times.
Symbicort Turbohaler is available in three different doses. Your doctor will prescribe the appropriate dose depending on whether Symbicort is being used as your primary inhaler or just as your preventer.
Why is Symbicort Turbohaler prescribed for asthma?
The Symbicort Turbohaler contains two active ingredients, one of which is a corticosteroid called budesonide. This medicine has been clinically tested and found to be highly effective in reducing swelling and inflammation within the lungs. It has also been shown to be safe to use in the long term.
Formoterol fumarate dihydrate is the second active ingredient, which is a long-acting beta2 adrenoceptor agonist medicine, sometimes known as a bronchodilator. This medicine makes it easier for you to breathe. Clinical trials found that the combination of these two medicines used within Symbicort Turbohaler can effectively relieve the symptoms of asthma in adults and adolescents.
How does Symbicort Turbohaler work?
The two active ingredients mentioned above work together to minimise the risk of a flare-up of asthma symptoms.
Budesonide is a corticosteroid medicine that works by reducing swelling and inflammation in the lungs. It also works to prevent swelling and inflammation from occurring.
Formoterol fumarate dihydrate works to relax the muscles in your airways, which makes it easier for you to breathe.
It is important to use Symbicort every day, regardless of whether your asthma is flaring up or not. This will ensure that you are getting the maximum benefits out of the medicine contained in this inhaler.
Who can use Symbicort Turbohaler?
Do not use this inhaler if you are allergic to budesonide, formoterol fumarate dihydrate, or any of the other ingredients contained in this medicine.
Do not use Symbicort Turbohaler without speaking to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any of the conditions listed below:
- High blood pressure
- You have or have ever had a heart problem
- Thyroid or adrenal gland problems
- Lung infection
- Low levels of potassium in your blood
- Severe liver problems
Can you buy Symbicort Turbohaler over the counter?
No, you cannot buy Symbicort Turbohaler over the counter. This medication must be prescribed by a doctor.
Can you buy Symbicort Turbohaler online?
You can order Symbicort Turbohaler online from Medicine Direct after completing an online consultation with one of our UK-based prescribers. This is to make sure this inhaler is suitable for you to use. Next day delivery is available if you order by 2pm.
You should not order medication of any kind online unless it is from a regulated pharmacy, like Medicine Direct.
Symbicort Turbohaler Alternatives
A wide variety of asthma inhalers can be ordered from our online pharmacy.
Budesonide is also the active ingredient contained in Pulmicort, which is a preventer inhaler, taken each day to prevent the symptoms of asthma.
Seretide is also available, which is a combination inhaler. This means that it can be used to both prevent and relieve asthma symptoms.
Symbicort Turbohaler Indications and Dose
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Symbicort Turbohalers.
The table below shows the usual recommended doses for Symbicort by age:
Usual starting dose
Adults (18 years and older)
1 or 2 inhalations twice a day. Your doctor may increase this to 4 inhalations twice a day.
Children aged 12 to 17 years
1 or 2 inhalations twice a day
Children aged 6 to 11 years
2 inhalations twice a day
Children under 6 years old must not use Symbicort Turbohaler.
How to use Symbicort Turbohaler
Always use Symbicort Turbohaler exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has instructed. Read the patient information leaflet for full instructions and speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Use Symbicort Turbohaler every day, even when you feel fine.
- Unscrew the cover and remove it from the inhaler.
- Hold your inhaler upright with the red grip at the bottom.
- Load the inhaler by turning the red grip as far as it will go in one direction. Turn it in the other direction as far as it will go, which should cause a ‘click’ sound. Do not hold the mouthpiece while doing this. It does not matter which direction you turn the grip first.
- Hold the inhaler away from your mouth and breathe out as far as you can.
- Put the mouthpiece into your mouth, gently between your teeth. Close your lips and breathe in deeply through your mouth.
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth and breathe out gently.
- If you need to take a second dose, repeat this process.
- Once you have taken the correct dose, replace the cover over the inhaler once again.
- Rinse your mouth with water after using your inhaler. This will reduce the risk of thrush.
Symbicort Turbohaler Side Effects
The most common side effects of Symbicort Turbohaler may affect 1 in 10 people who use it.
Common side effects:
- Palpitations, trembling or shaking
- Oral thrush
- Sore throat, hoarse voice, coughing
Less common side effects include:
- Sleep disturbances
- Restlessness, nervousness or agitation
- Increased heartbeat
- Blurred vision
- Muscle cramps
- Skin bruising
Tell your doctor if any of these side effects bother you or do not go away.
Serious side effects
Stop using Symbicort Turbohaler and seek medical attention straight away if you get any of the below:
- Swelling of your face, hives, breathing problems or faintness
- Sudden wheezing or shortness of breath after using the inhaler
This list is not exhaustive. Read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive details on side effects.
Symbicort Turbohaler Warnings and Drug Interactions
Before using Symbicort Turbohaler, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are using any other medication. This includes medicines you can buy without a prescription.
It is particularly important that they are aware if you are taking any of the following:
- Medicines to treat a fast or uneven heartbeat
- Medicines for heart failure, such as digoxin
- Steroid medicines
- Xanthine medicines
- Other bronchodilators
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- HIV-protease inhibitors, such as ritonavir
- Medicines for infections, such as ketoconazole or clarithromycin
- Medicines to treat Parkinson’s
- Medicines to treat thyroid problems
Tell your doctor if you are due to have a general anaesthetic for any kind of operation, including dental work.
Symbicort Turbohaler contains lactose. Speak to your doctor before using this medicine if they have told you that you are intolerant to certain sugars.
Always read the patient information leaflet for a full list of warnings and drug interactions. If you have any questions, speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
You should only use Symbicort Turbohaler during pregnancy if your doctor instructs you to do so.
Tell your doctor before using Symbicort Turbohaler if you are currently pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
Similarly, you should tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding before using this inhaler.
Symbicort Turbohaler Ingredients
The main active ingredients within this medicine are: Budesonide and formoterol fumarate dihydrate
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics.
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.