- Brown Preventer Inhaler
- Reduces inflammation and relaxes the muscles in the airways to the lungs
- Prevents future asthma attacks
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is a Clenil Modulite inhaler?
Clenil Modulite is a preventer inhaler used to control and manage the symptoms of asthma. It is often referred to as a brown inhaler.
The active steroid ingredient within Clenil Modulite, Beclomethasone; has been used in the treatment of asthma since 1976. It is also on the World Health Organisation's List of Essential Medicines.
Clenil Modulite proves an effective treatment when used to alleviate breathing difficulties associated with asthma and other breathing conditions. It works by relaxing the muscles in the airways to the lungs, making it easier for an individual to breathe and catch their breath.
Clenil Modulite inhaler is available in 50mcg, 100mcg, 200mcg and 250mcg
What is Clenil Modulite used to treat?
Clenil Modulite is a type of preventer inhaler used to prevent the symptoms of asthma. Inhaled Corticosteroids (ICS) are the first line treatment in preventing persistent asthma in patients who suffer symptoms more than twice a week.
Regular use of a clenil modulite inhaler reduces the frequency of experiencing asthma symptoms and is genuinely considered to improve the quality of life among asthma sufferers.
Inhaled corticosteroids alone are not effective enough to completely irradicate asthma symptoms, instead; short-acting beta agonists such as salbutamol (Ventolin) should be used for instant relief when symptoms occur.
How does Clenil Modulite treat asthma?
Clenil Modulite contains the active ingredient beclometasone dipropionate which belongs to the corticosteroid family of drugs. When inhaled, this ingredient is absorbed by the cells in the lungs and airways and starts to help with the symptoms associated with asthma, such as tightness of the shortness of breath and wheezing.
Inhaled corticosteroids help to suppress a number of inflammatory genes present in the airways. Through suppression of inflammation in the airways, this allows the inhaled corticosteroid to reduce hyperresponsiveness in the airways and effectively manage asthma symptoms.
ICS are also considered to be the only drug that can effectively suppress inflammation in the airways.
How to use a Clenil Modulite inhaler
Testing your inhaler
If you have not used your inhaler for three days or more, or if your inhaler is new, you should simply release one puff into the air to ensure that the inhaler works correctly.
If you have recently just purchased your inhaler and are testing it for the first time, the number 200 should be displayed on the dose indicator. If this is not the case, please contact the pharmacy that you received the inhaler from.
Using your inhaler
- Remove the cover from the mouthpiece, make sure there is nothing inside the mouthpiece
- Hold your inhaler upright with your thumb on the base and your index finger on the top of the canister
- Exhale as far as comfortably possible
- place the mouthpiece in your mouth and lock your lips around it to ensure it is airtight
- Deeply breathe in slowly and press down on the top of the inhaler to release a puff
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth and continue to hold your breath for approximately 5 to 10 seconds
- If you have been instructed to take 2 puffs, please wait for 30 seconds before taking another puff
Who can use a Clenil inhaler?
Clenil Modulite may not be suitable for everyone to use. Inform your doctor if any of the following apply to you before you use Clenil Modulite:
- You have ever been, or are currently being treated for tuberculosis (TB)
- You cannot drink alcohol for any reason
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients in this medicine, or any other medicines used to treat asthma
- When transferring from a steroid to an inhaler, you feel unwell, have a skin rash, a runny nose, or are sneezing. Do not stop the treatment unless advised to by your doctor.
- Your asthma appears to be getting worse while you use Clenil Modulite. Your reliever inhaler may seem less effective than before, or you may need to use your reliever inhaler more frequently/in higher doses than usual.
There is evidence to suggest that asthmatics who smoke may experience corticosteroid-resistance and as a result may require a higher dose of a corticosteroid to help manage asthma symptoms. It is highly recommended to quit smoking if you suffer from asthma due to the impaired therapeutic responses to corticosteroids that have been reported in smokers.
Read the patient information leaflet thoroughly for more information.
Possible side effects of a Clenil inhaler
As with all medications, Clenil Modulite inhalers do come with the risk of certain side effects, although not everyone gets them.
Below is a list of common adverse effects people may experience while using a Clenil Modulite inhaler. Speak to your doctor if any of these symptoms bother you or do not go away:
- Sore throat, hoarse voice, sore tongue
- Oral thrush
- Allergic reactions such as hives, redness or itching
Rinsing your mouth with water and spitting it out after using the inhaler may reduce the risk of developing adverse reactions in your mouth.
Clenil Modulite Alternatives
Other steroid inhalers include:
- Flixotide Inhaler (Fluticasone)
- Seretide Inhaler (Fluticasone)
- Symbicort Turbohaler (Budesonide)
- Qvar Inhaler (Beclometasone dipropionate)
- Pulmicort Turbohaler (Budesonide)
Despite the Clenil inhaler being a commonly prescribed preventer, a 2002 study comparing Beclomethasone versus Budesonide and their efficacy when treating asthma, found Budesonide to be more effective when inhaled via Turbohaler
Why is Clenil Modulite called a Brown Inhaler?
Brown inhalers, also known as preventer inhalers, usually contain some form of steroid used to build up a resistance to asthma triggers. Steroid inhalers are usually always brown in colour so they can be easily identified when in the company of a reliever inhaler (blue inhaler) which should be taken during an asthma attack for instant relief.
Can you buy Clenil Inhaler over the counter?
No, Clenil Modulite is a prescription only medicine, you must have a valid UK prescription to be able to buy this product. Additionally, you will be required to attend yearly assessments in which your doctor will carry out a peak flow test to monitor your asthma.
Can you buy Clenil Modulite Inhaler Online?
Yes, you can buy clenil online from most UK pharmacies. You will be required to complete an online health questionnaire which will be used to assess your medical condition by a doctor or healthcare professional. You should always ensure you are buying medicine from a fully licensed and regulated online pharmacy.
For more information about the licenses, we hold and who we are regulated by, visit our about us page. There, you will also find information on our company, our team and medical experts.
Clenil Modulite Dose
Clenil Modulite inhalers can come in a variety of dosages. The dose that you are prescribed will be dependent on the severity of your condition and the symptoms you are experiencing. Clenil Modulite 200mcg and 250mcg are not suitable for children.
All of our Doctors and Pharmacists follow NICE dosage guidelines when prescribing Clenil Modulite.
Clenil Modulite FAQ's
How effective is Clenil Modulite?
How can I buy Clenil Modulite inhalers online safely?
What happens if I miss a dose?
What do I do if I take more than I should?
Why is it so important that I take it regularly?
Clenil Modulite Side Effects
Less common side effects of using this inhaler include:
- Changes to the normal production of steroids in your body, particularly if the inhaler is used in large doses over a long period of time
- A decrease in bone mineral density
- Loss of appetite/weight loss
- Abdominal pain
- Feeling sick or being sick
- Feeling faint or fainting
- Convulsions (fits)
- Blurred vision
- Problems sleeping
You should speak to your doctor if you experience any of the above side effects while using this medicine.
Severe allergic reactions
In some instances, you may suffer from a severe allergic reaction to Clenil Modulite and require immediate treatment in hospital.
Call 999 or go to A&E straight away if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- You are wheezing
- You have swelling in the lips, throat, mouth, face or tongue
- You have a skin rash that is red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- You are finding it hard to breathe or speak
- You have tightness in the throat or chest
Always read the patient information leaflet thoroughly for a full list of side effects. Speak to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
Clenil Modulite Warnings and drug interactions
Always inform your doctor of any other medicines you are already taking before you start to use Clenil Modulite. Clenil Modulite inhalers may interact with other medications. Make sure your doctor is aware if you are currently taking any prescription or non-prescription medicines, herbal remedies, vitamins or supplements.
Some medicines may increase the effects of Clenil Modulite, including medicines for HIV, such as ritonavir or cobicistat.
If you have any questions or concerns at all, we strongly advise you to discuss these with your doctor before you start the course of treatment.
Never purchase medicine online unless it is from a pharmacy registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council, like Medicine Direct.
A full list on Clenil Modulite drug interactions can be found here.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Clenil Modulite and other inhaled corticosteroids are safe for use during pregnancy.
Find out more about using Clenil Modulite when pregnant and breastfeeding.
Clenil Modulite Ingredients
The active ingredient in a Clenil Modulite inhaler is beclometasone dipropionate.
Inactive ingredients also contained are: ethanol and the CFC-free propellant norflurane (HFA-134a).
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.