Stemetil (Prochlorperazine) 5mg Tablets
- Branded version of Prochlorperazine 5mg Tablets
- Used to treat nausea and sickness
- Can treat sickness caused from Migraines, Morning Sickness, Vertigo and more
Maximim quantity per treatment - 84 tablets
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
Buy Stemetil (Prochlorperazine) 5mg tablets for anti-sickness/nausea
For most, nausea symptoms will typically clear on its own. For others nausea can be a daily occurrence and may require medication to help reduce the symptoms of nausea.
Stemetil 5mg tablets are an effective nausea treatment which can be purchased online from Medicine Direct. Stemetil contains prochlorperazine which is a first line treatment option for nausea.
What are Stemetil 5mg tablets?
Stemetil is a medication for treating the symptoms of nausea, vomiting and vertigo.
Stemetil is the branded version of the nausea medicine Prochlorperazine and contains the same active ingredient (Prochlorperazine Maleate), which is effective at treating the symptoms of nausea and vomiting.
You can buy Prochlorperazine 5mg tablets online from Medicine Direct following an online consultation with a UK prescriber.
This medicine can be taken by adults and children over 1 year of age.
What is Stemetil used to treat?
Stemetil is an anti-sickness medicine that can be prescribed for a number of different problems.
You may be prescribed Stemetil if you suffer from issues such as:
- Dizziness (vertigo)
- Morning sickness
- Travel sickness
- Ménière's disease
Stemetil can also be prescribed as a short-term treatment for anxiety.
How does Stemetil work?
Stemetil contains the active ingredient prochlorperazine maleate, which belongs to a class of drugs known as phenothiazine antipsychotics.
It is believed to work by blocking the action of dopamine, which is a chemical in the brain. Doing this works to stop nausea messages from reaching the vomiting centre of the brain, which helps to relieve the feeling of nausea and the desire to vomit.
Prochlorperazine maleate will start to work after around 30 to 60 minutes of being taken.
The below table shows the average dose for adults for the following conditions:
5mg three times a day
Stop nausea or vomiting
5mg or 10mg two or three times a day
Treatment of nausea or vomiting
20mg, which may be followed by 10mg two hours later
Short-term anxiety treatment
15-20mg a day in divided doses
This dosage may be altered by your doctor as your treatment progresses. Doses are generally lower for the elderly.
If Stemetil is prescribed for children, your doctor will base the dose on their weight.
If you believe that the prescribed dose is too strong or not strong enough, tell your doctor. Do not alter the dose yourself.
How to take Stemetil
Swallow Stemetil tablets whole with a drink of water.
Do not let Stemetil tablets stay in contact with your skin for very long; this can cause skin redness, itching and swelling.
Do not drink alcohol while taking this medicine as this may add to the effects and cause breathing problems.
Full instructions on how to take this medicine will be clearly labelled on your box of medicine. You can also find more information on how to take your medicine in the patient information leaflet which will accompany your medicine.
Who can take Stemetil tablets?
Do not take Stemetil if you are allergic to prochlorperazine or any of the other ingredients in this medicine (please see the Ingredients tab for details).
Stemetil tablets should not be taken if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Talk to your doctor before taking Stemetil if:
- You are allergic to any phenothiazine medicines
- You have any heart problems or a family history of heart problems
- You have liver or kidney problems
- You have ever had a stroke
- You have an enlarged prostate gland
- You have thyroid problems
- You or someone else in your family has a history of blood clots
- You have dementia
- You have Parkinson’s disease
- You have epilepsy or have ever had seizures
- You suffer from depression
- You are over the age of 65
- You have a history of alcohol abuse
- You have an eating disorder or are underweight
- You have low blood levels of potassium, magnesium and calcium
- You have ever had a low level of white blood cells
- You have ever had glaucoma
- You have myasthenia gravis
- You have a tumour in the adrenal gland called pheochromocytoma
Always read the patient information leaflet for a comprehensive list of reasons why Stemetil may not be suitable for you.
Stemetil Prochlorperazine Side Effects
Common side effects of prochlorperazine:
- Dry mouth
- Stuffy nose
- Blurred vision
- Sleepiness or drowsiness
Please note this list is not exhaustive, for more information on side effects please read our detailed medical guide on Prochlorperazine side effects.
Can you buy Stemetil over the counter?
No, you cannot buy Stemetil over the counter. This medicine can only be bought when prescribed by a doctor.
Can you buy Stemetil online in the UK?
To buy Stemetil online from Medicine Direct, you will first need to complete our online consultation questionnaire. This is completely confidential and will be reviewed by a prescriber to ensure that this medication is suitable for you to take.
After they have confirmed Stemetil is suitable for you, your order will be confirmed. Orders placed by 2pm will qualify for next day delivery.
Medicine Direct is regulated by all the necessary medical councils and associations in the UK. This ensures we sell nothing but approved, genuine and safe medication to our customers. For your own safety, do not order medicine online from anywhere but regulated pharmacies like ours.
Prochlorperazine is contained in a number of anti-sickness medications. Generic Prochlorperazine 5mg tablets are also available to buy from Medicine Direct, as are Prochlorperazine buccal tablets. Buccal tablets are ideal for anyone who cannot swallow medicine; you should place these tablets in the top of your mouth to dissolve.
Stemetil Indications and Dose
All of our prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Stemetil (Prochlorperazine).
You should always take your medicine exactly as prescribed. Dosage instructions will always be clearly labelled on your box of medicine.
If you miss a dose
If you forget to take Stemetil, take it as soon as you remember, unless it is almost time for the next dose. If this is the case, skip the missed dose and take Stemetil at your usual time.
Never take a double dose of medicine to make up for missing an earlier one.
If you take too much
Contact your doctor, call 111 or go to your nearest A&E straight away if you take more Stemetil than you were supposed to.
If you need to go to hospital, take the medicine and its packaging with you so the doctor knows what you have taken.
How to store
Store out of the sight and reach of children.
Keep the tablets in the original carton and store out of direct sunlight.
Do not keep using this medicine after the expiry date, which is stated on the packaging.
How long does Stemetil take to work?
Are there other anti-sickness medicines?
Is it addictive?
Does Stemetil lower blood pressure?
Does Stemetil help anxiety?
Can you take Stemetil with paracetamol?
Is Stemetil an antipsychotic?
Can I drink alcohol with it?
Can I take Stemetil for a long time?
How long should I take it for?
Stemetil Side Effects
Like any medicine, Stemetil can cause side effects, although not everyone will experience them.
Tell your doctor if any of these side effects get serious or do not go away:
- Stuffy nose
- Abnormal production of breast milk (in men and women)
- Dry mouth
- No menstrual period
- Breast enlargement in men
- Increased skin sensitivity to sunlight
- Restlessness or agitation
- Skin rash
- Skin redness, swelling or itching from touching Stemetil tablets
Stop taking Stemetil and seek medical attention immediately if:
- You have a very pale complexion, sweating, a high temperature, muscle stiffness, faster breathing, a fast heartbeat, confusion, drowsiness or agitation
- You suffer from frequent infections
- You are more susceptible to infections
- You experience yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes
- You have a very fast or uneven heartbeat and experience any breathing issues or chest pain
- You have any blood clots in the veins, particularly in the legs
- You have any muscle problems, such as stiffness or shaking
Serious allergic reaction
Stop taking Stemetil and go to A&E or call 999 straight away if:
- You are wheezing
- You are finding it hard to breathe or speak
- You have a skin rash that is red, itchy, swollen, peeling or blistered
- You have swelling in your mouth, face, throat, tongue or lips
- Your chest or throat feels tight
You may be having an allergic reaction and require hospital treatment immediately.
This list is not exhaustive. Always read the patient information leaflet for a full list of side effects, as well as advice on what to do if you get them.
Tell your doctor if you are currently taking any other prescription or non-prescription medication, including herbal remedies, vitamins or supplements.
Stemetil can affect the way other medicines work. It is particularly important that you tell your doctor if you are taking:
- Medicines to treat depression
- Medicines to help you sleep
- Medicines for Parkinson’s disease
- Medicines for any emotional or mental conditions
- Medicines for epilepsy
- Medicines to control your heartbeat
- Medicines for high blood pressure
- Medicines for diabetes
- Medicines to treat cancer
- Medicines to treat infections
- Medicines to treat indigestion and heartburn
- Anticholinergic medicines
Stemetil tablets contain lactose, which is a type of sugar. Talk to your doctor before taking this medication if you have been told that you are intolerant to certain sugars.
This medicine can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Avoid exposure to direct sunlight while taking Stemetil.
Your doctor may carry out regular tests for the duration of your using Stemetil. These tests may include an ECG and blood tests to make sure your heart is functioning as it should.
Always read the patient information leaflet for full warnings and drug interactions. Speak to your doctor if you have any questions.
The main active ingredient within this medicine is: Prochlorperazine Maleate
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.