Gedarel 20/150 Contraceptive Pill
- Combined contraceptive pill
- 21 day course (with 7 day break)
- 99% effective at preventing pregnancy when taken properly
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Gedarel?
Gedarel is an oral contraceptive pill that is taken by women to prevent pregnancy.
It is a monophasic combined pill, which means that each pill contains the same amount of hormones. In comparison to most other versions of the combined pill, Gedarel contains a lower dose, which makes it a good choice of contraceptive for women who are more vulnerable to getting side effects. It is also a popular choice for older women who still require contraception.
Gedarel 30/150 is the higher dose option.
How effective is Gedarel 20/150?
When taken correctly, Gedarel 20/150 tablets are 99% effective at preventing pregnancy.
It is important to remember that a contraceptive pill like Gedarel will only work to prevent pregnancy. The pill will not stop you from catching sexually transmitted infections (STIs); you will still need to use a condom for this.
How does Gedarel 20/150 work?
Gedarel 20/150 contains two active ingredients, desogestrel and ethinylestradiol, which are hormones that prevent a woman from ovulating during her menstrual cycle.
Gedarel also thickens the mucus in the cervix, which makes it harder for sperm to enter the womb and fertilise an egg.
Additionally, it thins the lining of the womb, which lessens the chances of a fertilised egg growing in the womb.
How to take Gedarel 20/150 pill
It is best to begin taking Gedarel on the first day of your period. If you start taking it during the first five days of your period, you will be protected against pregnancy straight away.
Each pack contains 21 pills. Swallow them whole with a drink of water.
Take the pills at around the same time each day.
- Take one pill each day for 21 days.
- After taking all 21 pills in the pack, do not take any pills for 7 days. You will have a normal bleed during this time.
- After 7 days, start taking the next pack of pills straight away.
Read the patient information leaflet for complete instructions on how to take Gedarel.
How long does Gedarel take to work?
If you begin taking Gedarel 20/150 tablets during the first five days of your period, you will be protected straight away. If you are start to take the pill later on, you should use a condom for at least the next seven days to ensure you are fully protected against pregnancy.
Who can take Gedarel?
Gedarel is not suitable for all women.
Do not take Gedarel if any of the below apply to you:
- You have ever had blood clots in a blood vessel in your legs, lungs or other organs
- You know that you have ever had a disorder that affects blood clotting
- You need to have an operation or are off your feet for long periods of time
- You have ever suffered a stroke or a heart attack
- You have ever had angina pectoris or a transient ischaemic attack
- You have ever had a disease that may increase the risk of a clot in the arteries
- You have ever had a migraine with aura
- You have ever had inflammation of the pancreas
- You have ever had a liver disease and your liver function has not returned to normal
- You have or have ever had a tumour of the liver
- You have, had, or are suspected of having breast cancer or cancer of the genital organs
- You have any unexplained vaginal bleeding
- You are currently pregnant or think you might be pregnant
- You have endometrial hyperplasia
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients in this medicine
Talk to your doctor before you take Gedarel if:
- You have any illness not listed above
- You are allergic to any other medicines
- You are currently taking any other medicines
You should have your blood pressure checked at least once a year while taking an oral contraceptive. This type of medication can increase your blood pressure.
Women who use oral contraceptives may also be at an increased risk of breast and cervical cancers. For this reason, you should also attend regular cancer screenings.
Always refer to the patient information leaflet, which will come with your medicine, for a comprehensive list of reasons why Gedarel may be unsuitable for you.
Can you buy Gedarel 20/150 over the counter?
Gedarel 20/150 is only available to buy when you have a prescription. It cannot be bought over the counter.
Can you buy Gedarel 20/150 online in the UK?
Gedarel is a prescription-only medicine (POM). You can buy Gedarel online from Medicine Direct after you have completed a confidential online questionnaire, which will be reviewed by one of our certified doctors or pharmacists.
If you place your order with our online pharmacy by 2pm, you will receive your medication the next day.
It is important to ensure that you are buying medicine online from a UK fully regulated pharmacy. To learn more about our company, team, medical professionals, and the licenses we hold, visit our about us page.
If you wish to take an alternative form of contraception, there are several different types available to try. Speak to your doctor about switching contraceptive pills.
Various different combined pills can be ordered from Medicine Direct, including:
You can also opt for a progestogen-only pill (POP), which does not contain any oestrogen. Brands of POPs include Cerazette and Norgeston.
On the other hand, you may wish to try a completely new type of contraception, where you do not need to take any pills at all. In this case, you could speak to your doctor about trying the contraceptive patch, implant or injection. Condoms or an intrauterine device (IUD) are also options.
For more information on positives and negatives of the combined pill, or to learn about other contraception methods, we recommend visiting the contraception choices website.
Please note that we are unable to offer you an alternative if you have not been prescribed this medicine before by your own doctor.
Gedarel 20/150 indications and dose
Our pharacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Gedarel 20/150 contraceptive pills.
Gedarel 20/150 Side Effects
Rare side effects of this combined pill can include:
- Decreased libido
- Eye irritation from contact lens
- Skin disorders
- Harmful blood clots in a vein or artery
- Breast discharge
- Weight loss
- Vaginal discharge
In rare cases, you may suffer a serious allergic reaction to Gedarel. You must call 999 or go to A&E if you exhibit any of the following symptoms:
- You are wheezing
- You develop a skin rash that may include red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- You have tightness in your chest or throat
- You are finding it difficult to breathe or speak
- You have swelling in your face, throat, mouth, lips or tongue
You could be having a serious allergic reaction and require immediate treatment in hospital.
Always read the patient information leaflet for full details on side effects. If you are worried about side effects, please speak to your doctor before you start to take this medication.
Before you start a new medicine, always inform your doctor if you are taking any other prescription or non-prescription medication, herbal remedies, vitamins or supplements.
Some medicines can interact with Gedarel 20/150 tablets and make it less effective, including:
- Epilepsy medicines
- Medicines to treat the HIV infection
- Medicines to treat hepatitis C
- The herbal remedy St. John's wort
- Medicines for fungal infections
- Medicines for increased blood pressure in the lung vasculature
- Other enzyme-inducing medicines
- Certain antibiotics
- Medicines for weight-loss
Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive details of warnings and interactions of this combined pill. If you have any questions or concerns about Gedarel 20/150 pills, please do not hesitate to speak to your doctor.
For more information on medicines that interact with Gedarel.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
This medication is not suitable for pregnant women or women who are breastfeeding.
Please speak to your doctor before taking Gedarel 20/150 if:
- You are currently pregnant
- You are breastfeeding
- You think you might be pregnant
- You are trying to get pregnant
If you become pregnant or think you might be pregnant while taking Gedarel, stop taking the pill and speak to your doctor straight away.
For more information on taking Gedarel during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
The active ingredients in this medication are desoestrel and ethinylestradiol.
Gedarel 20/150 tablets also contain the following ingredients: Potato starch, stearic acid, all-rac-alpha-tocopherol, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, silica colloidal anhydrous, povidone K 30, quinolone yellow (E104), hypromellose, macrogol 6000 and propylene glycol.
Updated on: 25/06/2021
This content has been written by our Superintendent Pharmacist Hussain Abdeh and has been medically reviewed by our Pharmacist Sonia Khan
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.