Microgynon 30 Pill
- Prevents Pregnancy (99% effective)
- 21 daily tablets with 7 day break
- 3 and 6 month courses available
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Microgynon 30?
Microgynon 30 is a combined oral contraceptive pill (commonly known as 'the pill'). Microgynon is taken by women to prevent pregnancy.
Microgynon 30 is a 21-day pill; you take it for 21 days, followed by a 7 day break where no pills are taken. During this break you should get a withdrawal bleed similar to a period, which may continue into starting your next course of pills.
It is also available as Microgynon 30 ED (Every Day), which is taken continuously without a break.
How does Microgynon 30 work?
Microgynon 30 contains two types of female sex hormones, oestrogen and progestogen. When taken correctly, these hormones work to stop you from getting pregnant in three ways:
- They prevent your ovaries from releasing an egg.
- They make the mucus in your cervix thicker, making it harder for sperm to enter the womb.
- They prevent the lining of the womb from thickening enough for an egg to grow inside it.
If used correctly, the combined pill is 99% effective at preventing pregnancy.
Taking Microgynon 30 comes with various benefits:
- It does not interrupt your sex life.
- Microgynon may help with pre-menstrual symptoms.
- It will normally make your periods lighter, more regular and less painful.
- If used in the long term, the pill may reduce your risk of ovarian and womb cancer.
You are not protected against sexually transmitted infections (STIs) by taking this medication. You will still need to use condoms for this type of protection.
Who can take Microgynon 30?
Microgynon may not be suitable for you if:
- You are allergic to this medicine or any other medicines
- You have (or have ever had) a blood clot in a blood vessel in your legs, lungs or other organ
- You need to have an operation or are off your feet for long periods of time
- You have ever had a stroke or a heart attack
- You know that you have any disorder that affects your blood clotting
- You have or have ever had angina pectoris or transient ischaemic attack (temporary stroke symptoms)
- You have ever had a migraine with aura
- You have ever had liver tumours
- You have ever had a severe liver disease and your doctor has told you that your liver function has not yet returned to normal
- You have or have ever had breast cancer
- You have hepatitis C and are taking any medicines that contain ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir, dasabuvir, glecaprevir/pibrentasvir and sofosbuvir/velpatasvir/voxilaprevir
- You are taking any other medication
- You have any health problems not listed here
Always refer to the patient information leaflet, which will come with your tablets, for comprehensive warnings.
Buy Microgynon 30 online in the UK
Microgynon 30 can only be purchased if you have been prescribed it by a doctor. It is not available over the counter.
This combined pill is only available to buy on prescription. You can buy Microgynon 30 online from Medicine Direct after a simple and confidential online consultation with one of our registered doctors or pharmacists.
You can discuss alternative forms of contraception with your doctor if this combined pill is not suitable for you to take.
If you believe that you may have difficulty remembering to restart taking the pills after taking a break of 7 days, Microgynon 30 ED (Every Day) may be more suitable for you. This medicine works in the same way as Microgynon 30; however, instead of having a 7-day break, you will take an ‘inactive pill’ for 7 days. This means you will not need to worry about remembering to stop and start your medication and will still have complete contraceptive protection.
Alternative combined pills you could try include:
If you would rather take a progestogen-only pill (POP), which does not contain an oestrogen, you could speak to your doctor about taking:
Contraceptive means that do not require you to take a tablet include:
- Contraceptive injection
- Contraceptive implant
- Contraceptive patch
- Intrauterine device (IUD)
Your doctor will also be able to answer questions you may have about these types of contraception.
For more information on different types of contraception that may be suitable for you, we recommend visiting the Contraception Choices website.
Microgynon Indications and Dose
Always take the contraceptive pill exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the patient information leaflet and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Microgynon.
How to take Microgynon 30
It is best to start taking Microgynon 30 on the first day of your period. This will mean you are protected against pregnancy straight away.
Microgynon 30 pills come in strips that are marked with specific days of the week. Take your first pill on a correct day of the strip.
- Take one pill at the same time each day for 21 days.
- After taking 21 pills, you will have a break of 7 days where you do not take any pills. During this time, you should have a normal withdrawal bleed.
- After 7 days, begin taking the pills again for another 21 days.
Swallow the pills whole with a drink of water. Do not chew or crush the pills.
Always read the patient information leaflet for a full list of instructions.
Microgynon Side effects
Rare side effects of Microgynon 30 include:
- A harmful blood clot in a vein or artery, such as in a leg, lung or other organ, stroke or heart attack
- Poor contact lens tolerance
- Vaginal or breast discharge
- Increased libido
- Weight loss
Serious allergic reaction
In rare cases, it is possible to suffer from a serious allergic reaction to Microgynon.
You must call 999 or go to A&E right away if you have any of the following symptoms:
- You are wheezing
- You have tightness in your chest or throat
- Your face, mouth, tongue, throat or lips start swelling
- You get a skin rash that may include red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- You are finding it hard to breathe or speak
You might be having a serious allergic reaction and require immediate treatment in hospital.
Always refer to the patient information leaflet for a full list of side effects and how to deal with them. If you are worried about side effects, please speak to your doctor before you start to use Microgynon.
Microgynon Warnings and Drug Interactions
Which medicines interact with Microgynon 30?
Before you buy Microgynon, make sure you tell your doctor or pharmacist about any other medicines you are already using. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medication, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements.
Microgynon 30 can also interact with the functions of other medicines; it is important that you inform your doctor if you are taking any medicine that is included in the drug interaction list.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Do not use Microgynon 30 if you are pregnant. Take a pregnancy test before you stop taking the pill if you think you might be pregnant. Speak to your doctor immediately if you have become pregnant.
Your doctor may recommend an alternative form of contraception if you are breastfeeding.
Find out more on oral contraceptives during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
The main active ingredients within this medicine are: Ethinylestradiol and Levonorgestrel
For a full list of the inactive ingredients, please read the Summary of Product Characteristics
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.