Microgynon 30 ED Pill
- Every Day (ED) combined oral contraceptive pill
- Contains 21 'active pills' and 7 'inactive pills'
- Available as a 3 or 6 month course
order before 2pm
and team of dispensers
What is Microgynon 30 ED?
Microgynon 30 ED is a combined oral contraceptive pill (commonly known as 'The Pill'), which is taken by women to stop them getting pregnant.
Each strip contains 28 tablets: 21 'active pills' and 7 'inactive pills'.
This combined pill contains two different types of female sex hormones, progestogen and oestrogen.
You can buy Microgynon 30 ED from Medicine Direct once you have had an online consultation with a certified doctor or pharmacist. They will review your medical history and prescribe this medication if it is safe for you to take. You can then use this prescription to order Microgynon 30 ED from our online pharmacy; place your order by 2pm and you will also receive next day delivery.
What Microgynon 30 ED is used for
Microgynon 30 ED contains two female sex hormones, oestrogen and progestogen, which work to prevent pregnancy in three ways:
- The prevent your ovaries from releasing an egg.
- They make the mucus in your cervix thicker, making it much harder for sperm to get inside the womb.
- They prevent your womb lining from thickening enough for an egg to be able to grow within it.
You use Microgynon 30 ED every day without a break. You will take one 'active pill' every day for 21 days, then an 'inactive pill' for 7 days.
When taken correctly, this combined pill is one of the most reliable reversible methods of contraception.
Taking Microgynon 30 ED comes with various benefits:
- It does not interrupt sex.
- It may help with pre-menstrual symptoms.
- It will normally make your periods lighter, more regular and less painful.
It is important to bear in mind that the contraceptive pill will not protect you from catching sexually transmitted infections like syphilis and gonorrhoea. Only condoms can do this.
Possible side effects
Like any medication, the Microgynon pill can cause side effects, although not everyone who uses this combined pill will suffer from them.
Common side effects of Microgynon 30 ED can include:
- Stomach ache
- Weight gain
- Feeling sick
- Sore or painful breasts
- Mood swings or depressive moods
Uncommon side effects includeL
- Vomiting and stomach upsets
- Fluid retention
- Decreased libido
- Skin rash (this may itch)
- Breast enlargement
Some people have also reported the following:
- Bleeding and spotting between periods
- Ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease
Speak to your doctor if you have any of the side effects listed above, or if you become worried.
This list is not exhaustive. Please refer to the Side Effects tab for more information.
Microgynon 30 ED dosage and directions
How to take Microgynon 30 ED
Our pharmacists and prescribers follow NICE guidelines when prescribing Microgynon ED pills.
To effectively prevent pregnancy, you must be consistent with taking this medication. Always use Microgynon 30 ED as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the patient information leaflet and speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
To help you to remember to take this medication, each pack contains three foil strips showing a different day of the week. There are 28 pills in each strip: 21 'active pills' and 7 'inactive pills'. Providing you are taking this contraceptive pill correctly, you will always start a new strip on the same day of the week.
Swallow each pill whole with a drink of water; do not chew or crush them. Take the pill at the same time every day.
Take one active pill every day for 21 days. Once you have finished these, take one inactive pill each day for 7 days.
Once you have finished one pack of Microgynon 30 ED, start your next pack the very next day. Do not leave a gap.
If you forget to take Microgynon 30 ED
If you are less than 12 hours late in taking a pill, take it as soon as you remember, even if this means taking two pills in one day. Your contraceptive protection should still be as strong.
If you have missed more than one pill, you should use a condom for the next seven days.
If you take too much (overdose)
Taking an extra pill is unlikely to do you any harm. However, you may suffer from nausea, vomiting or have some vaginal bleeding. Vaginal bleeding may occur in girls who have not yet started their menstruation but who have accidentally taken Microgynon.
If you suffer from any of these side effects, speak to your doctor.
Stopping Microgynon 30 ED
If you decide to have a baby, you should use another form of contraception after you stop taking Microgynon 30 ED until you have had a normal period. Your doctor and midwife requires the date of your last natural period to be able to determine when the baby is due.
However, if you get pregnant straight away, your baby should not come to any harm.
Before you take Microgynon ED 30
Your doctor will check your blood pressure and ask about your medical history, as well as any family medical problems, before prescribing this combined pill.
Microgynon ED 30 is not suitable for everyone to take.
Do not use this combined pill if any of the following apply to you:
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients contained in Microgynon (please see the Ingredients tab for full details)
- You need to have an operation or are off your feet for a long time
- You have ever had a heart attack or a stroke
- You have or have ever had a blood clot in a blood vessel in your leg, lung or other organ
- You are aware that you have any disorder that affects your blood clotting
- You have or have ever had angina pectoris or transient ischaemic attack
- You have ever had liver tumours
- You have or have ever had breast cancer
- You have ever had a severe liver disease and your doctor has told you that your liver function test results have not returned to normal
- You have ever had a migraine with aura
Do not use Microgynon if you have any of the following conditions, which may increase the risk of developing a blood clot in the arteries:
- Very high levels of fat in the blood
- Very high blood pressure
- Severe diabetes with blood vessel damage
Before you start to take it
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking the Microgynon contraceptive pill if any of the below apply to you:
- You have systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- You have haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS)
- You need to have an operation or are off your feet for a long time
- You have inflammation of the veins under the skin
- You have sickle cell anaemia
- You have Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis
- You experience symptoms of angioedema
- You have just given birth (this puts you at an increased risk of blood clots)
- You have diabetes
- You have varicose veins
- You or a close family member has ever had circulation or heart problems, such as high blood pressure
- You have any illness that got worse during pregnancy or previous use of a contraceptive pill
- You are obese
- You have migraines
- You have the porphyria
- You have pancreatitis
- You have high levels of fat in the blood, or a family history of this problem
- You or a close family member has ever had blood clotting issues
Microgynon 30 ED Side Effects
Rare side effects of Microgynon ED 30 include:
- Losing weight
- Increased libido
- Vaginal or breast discharge
- Poor tolerance of contact lenses
Serious allergic reaction
In rare instances, it is possible that you may suffer a serious allergic reaction to Microgynon 30 ED.
You must either call 999 or go to A&E straight away if you suffer from any of the following symptoms:
- You have swelling in your face, mouth, tongue, lips or throat
- You are finding it hard to speak or breathe
- You are wheezing
- You develop a skin rash that may include red, itchy, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- You have tightness in your throat or chest
You may be having a serious allergic reaction and require immediate treatment in hospital.
Always read the patient information leaflet for comprehensive information on side effects and how to cope with them. If you are worried about side effects, please speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Microgynon Warnings and Drug Interactions
Taking other medicines
Before you buy Microgynon 30 ED, make sure you inform your doctor or pharmacist of any other medication you are already taking. This includes both prescription and non-prescription medication, herbal remedies, vitamins and supplements.
The following medication can have an impact on the blood levels of Microgynon:
- Certain medicines for the treatment of epilepsy
- Certain medicines for treating hepatitis C and HIV
- The herbal remedy St. John's wort
- Certain antibiotics
- Certain sedatives (barbiturates)
- The antifungal medicine griseofulvin
The contraceptive pill can also affect how well other forms of medication work, so your doctor may need to adjust your dose if you need to use another medication at the same time as the pill. Spek to your doctor about medications that interact with Microgynon ED pills.
Additional contraceptive precautions
Microgynon will not protect you against sexually transmitted infections (STIs). If you need this kind of protection, you will still need to use a condom in addition to this combined pill.
Microgynon contains lactose and sucrose. If your doctor has told you that you are intolerant to certain sugars, please speak to them before you buy Microgynon 30 ED.
Taking the contraceptive pill can increase your risk of breast cancer and cervical cancer. The longer you are on the pill, the higher the risk is. However, the risk returns to normal within 10 years of stopping taking the pill.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Do not take this medication if you are pregnant. Take a pregnancy test before you stop taking Microgynon 30 ED if you think you might have become pregnant.
Microgynon might not be suitable for women who are breastfeeding. Your doctor may recommend an alternative form of contraception to use instead.
Microgynon ED Ingredients
Microgynon 30 ED contains three strips of 28 tablets. Each strip has 21 beige 'active' pills, which contain 150 micrograms of the progestogen levonorgestrel and 30 micrograms of the oestrogen ethinylestradio. There are also 7 white 'inactive' pills.
The following inactive ingredients are also contained in Microgynon 30 ED: Lactose, maize starch, povidone, magnesium stearate (E572), sucrose, macrogol 6000, calcium carbonate (E170), talc, glycol montanate, titanium dioxide (E171), glycerin (E422), ferric oxide pigment yellow (E172).
How it works - get your medicine in 3 simple steps
- 1 Choose your treatment Select the treatment or medication you need and answer a few questions online regarding your condition.
- 2 Online consultation Our Independent Prescribers will review your questions and assess your suitability for the medication.
- 3 Receive your delivery Your medication is dispensed and delivered directly to you from our UK based Pharmacy.